Announcements

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Contributors to this blog

We need to talk ...

Mmartin

Hey everyone,

The last dozen or so posts we've made have been more or less pragmatic, to inform everyone about updates & what to expect next. It's been a while since I made a post about the server and its direction in general. I want to open a honest dialogue about where the server currently stands, and how we can move onwards and upwards from here. 

There's no sugar coating it — we're in a tough position right now, from multiple angles. The player base has been stable for quite a while, but took a major hit in the recent week or two. We had a day and a half of downtime recently caused by network issues and a DDOS attack, and after bringing the server back up we're seeing peak numbers that are lower than we had during the premium only pre-release. Saying it's sub optimal is putting it mildly. I will do my best to avoid any excuses and focus on facts, problems and solutions.

If you ask ten people, you'll get ten reasons why the player base has declined. I'll dive into details of some of the issues we currently face. We've solutions for some of those problems, but I'd like to extend the discussion of how to handle some of these issues to you, the community, as well. 

Failure to manage expectations

I feel that one of the issues we had from the beginning was our failure to manage the expectations. Handful of us worked on the gamemode for roughly two years, in the spare time we had when we felt like it and weren't working or otherwise busy. The aim from the beginning was to create a barebones MVP, which we could then expand on. I feel that I failed to communicate that, and as a result of that, a lot of the community expected us to be an equal competitor from day one. This led to a massive spike in interest initially, with the player base dwindling over time once more people realized that the experience we offer isn't as complete as they might need. Other players seeing the decline in player base could be another contributing factor to further decline.

I feel like there isn't a simple solution for mismanaged expectations after the fact. I will use this as a much needed learning experience.

Development not keeping up

Another major contributor to the decline in morale and by proxy in player base is the way development progressed after release. We simply aren't doing enough to measure up. Initially, our main focus was on ensuring stability of the server and fixing critical issues post-release. We got some much-requested features out, but we haven't had more than a handful of completely new features come out since release. That's a major problem.

With only a few exceptions (big shout out to Imperium, who has been carrying the team for the past month or so), the majority of our Development Team either became increasingly busy with work after release, or simply burned out. This was my case as well, as I started a new job in May and had to do a lot of adjusting and some travel; the time I had left was mostly spent on maintenance, handling technical issues, legal/biz aspect and managing the server as a whole. The timing was unfortunate, because we all knew that the real work begins post-launch to make sure the needs of our community are met. While some aspects of this can't be affected by me, I still came short — I failed to keep the development team motivated and to make sure people don't burn out. 

This, in the end, lead to some promises left behind, which is something I really wanted to leave in the SA-MP era. Unfortunate.

There's several solutions that can be applied here. We'll be once again taking in more developers in the coming days to help us with the amount of work that needs to be done. I'll also look for a way to offload my work with managing the system infrastructure, so even fewer things are reliant solely on me and can be handled by another developer as well.

Leadership & Communication

I feel that a significant chunk of us in the core team (leadership, team leads and devs) switched to a coasting mode too quickly. We got comfortable and complacent. I believe that motivation and strength comes from top to bottom, and we as the leadership must do better to innovate, push forward, show face and communicate everything with the community. This became harder in the recent weeks and there's no other way about it, we simply must do better.

Of course the list above isn't exhaustive. We're aware of the frequent shootouts, abundance of weapons in the server, frequent shootouts, jobs becoming stale, etcetera. We put together a two-week plan of action of things we'd like to accomplish. I'll share it with you, but please take it with a grain of salt as it may change and some things may be added, or taken out.

Immediate (today/tomorrow)

- Communicate the current state of the server (this post)

- Add more developers to the team

- Reach out to player-owned companies and factions to make sure they've everything they need 

- Reach out to admins regarding long report times, and not answering difficult reports

Week 1

- Fix vehicle loan payments, and transfervehicle after paying off loan

- Ability to "trade in" a leased vehicle, with the ability to get a % of your principal back

- Add more clothing mods

- Make Horsepower affect vehicle performance

- Level requirement for equipping a weapon (across all characters) to curb DM

- Add interior presets & interior change

- Add separate group for /setprop access, so property reports aren't reliant on Leads

- Adjust mechanic / vehicle part prices (wheels, etc)

Week 2

- Some gambling script (even if just slots, lotto or blackjack)

- Graffiti

- Add more vehicles, whether existing GTA ones to pdm, or modded

- More trucking routes

- Investment into marketing

- Schedule another community meeting

To reiterate, we probably won't be able to do all of these, but these are some of the things we've identified need immediate attention.

Despite the admittedly grim situation with the player base right now, I believe we can turn things around. The entire situation is very humbling and has been a big reality check and a learning experience for me. We've a lot going for us — we've a great staff team, a lot of knowledgeable and dedicated folk on our side, other major servers providing us assistance whenever we need it. But most importantly, we've fostered an awesome community which is what I focus on when it's time to push forward no matter what. I'm sorry I let some of you down, it hurts especially because I know a lot of people really believe in the project and want it to do well.

This is where I'll turn the post towards you. If you're good at something and want to use your skill to help us make the server better, please reach out. If you've opinions you want to share, please do so below. I welcome opinions of anyone with the best interest of the server at heart.

Martin

• CJ 1
  • Bigsmoke 3
  • Ryder 2
  • Clap 1
  • OK 1
  • Strong 4
  • Love 30

120 Comments

Recommended Comments

IMO I dont think at the way we're going the server will ever see lets sayyy 200 players again ish. Many years too late, many broken promises and GTAW is just better in every aspect right now. But who knows maybe you guys can pull some spectacular shit all of a sudden.

Edited by JJABOOTLE

Great, honest and transparent post. Hope things will take a turn for the better, the community is at least dedicated enough.

• Love 1

A  couple of suggestions:

1. A new and improved LSRP trailer or video. Once this is done, all players should be incentivized (I.e. something free like a month of premium or 2 free name changes) to send the video to their former friends/groups whom would fly back to the nostalgic roleplay LSRP has to offer. 

2. Weekly updates. Like you’ve stated in your post, you guys are busy with real life and acknowledge the lack of updates. If you can throw out 2-3 smaller, less difficult updates a week and 1 major one a month for the next 6-8 months I guarantee you PB would rocket and those whom moved to GTAW will flock back to reminisce the glory days of this community. This will take a little more dedication from the development team, buts it’s needed, point blank.

• Clap 1

Despite the grim situation, it must be said that LSRP has history. While a big portion of the community has either lost interest or simply has grown up and is too busy with real life, it's in our favor that there are people who know the true potential of LSRP, and what it could be, as they had been right there in the golden era of LSRP. That said, the transition the server has been through, the numerous launch delays and complications mean it's naturally no easy task to bring back on its feet. Thanks for talking to the community about it and good luck in the future. 

I do not know what frameworks and technologies you use, so I cannot say for certain that I can be of any help in the development. I do happen to be a software engineering student, though, so I might. Please do let me know if the technologies are listed somewhere because I can't seem to find it anywhere.

the other server has been up for way too long and had way too much time to perfect everything, i'd choose lsrp over that server if they were both similar, but i cant ever see even a fraction of that player base coming over here nowadays, and with the news of fivem partnering with rockstar, gta 6 will have RP servers so much sooner than gta 5 did, my point is if lsrp developed for 2 more years, it still wouldn't be close to the other servers script/playerbase, AND gta 6 is probably released then...it's a losing battle.

imo releasing the samp server again would bring in a crazy playerbase and create a once again huge community to kill time until 6 releases...

do what everyone wants, please...

• CJ 1
  • Thumbs 1

You can't be more honest than that, it's a great virtue. We believe in this project as we believed in it in the previous decade. Thank you very much for your efforts even on more difficult days. 

This is great news, I hope these things listed get pushed surely. I think a big factor is clothing mods along with fixing the makeup script in terms of saving makeup to outfits. - Currently eyeliner/makeup lasts roughly 45minutes before fading away completely which is annoying and I honestly don't want to keep having to apply it every few hours, just make it easy I wanna put it on once honestly and save it to whatever outfit I want whenever. I've mentioned it a bunch of times in the past, people like it user friendly and like to have a bit of diversity for creating a character, not only their face but what they wear etc. It is very important. 

Also, being able to be apart of multiple companies at once, I'd personally aim for 4 companies to be able to join simultaneously. I think it kind of irritates players when they have to constantly quit/join companies to have access to certain things or to progress for 30minutes of rp to then rejoin the following day, It's a pain. I believe this is already being worked on, but I noticed it wasn't listed. 

Modded Vehicles, More Furnishing items would be great as well. - Make sure there's some convertible 4 door vehicles, would be great!

But otherwise, I put a lot of hours into LSRP and have done some amazing designs on the server, I'm glad LSRP is here on GTA V. I have high hopes for the LSRP Administration team and wish you all the best in getting the motivation you need and to push out what needs to be pushed out for LSRP's success for many years to come!

And also keep in mind, this is the pioneer days of LSRP V and I'm surely proud to be apart of it! ❤️

Edited by Natasha Valentine
  • Love 2

As a senior staff member that has been feeling demotivated/burnt out by the state of the server, this was some real shit. 

Appreciate the transparency, we can always bounce back 

1 hour ago, Dai said:

My feedback to Dos-Santos also for what it's worth as he is the ONLY one that is making a difference.

I can only speak for myself and findings but currently your running of the business section is exemplary, the auto reimbursement has been tied down to a fine knot and working well in my business it's not too much and it's not too little, you have given us as business owners all the tools needed and support to make it work, so far from what I have seen there has been no failings specifically in business.    What is letting business down is the external factors that are effecting the entire server and it's dwindling player base, last night I logged on at peak time and there was 55 players on, I opened and didn't have single person walk through my doors, and I have seen this with other business openings even for a bar I've walked in and there has been 3 people.  

I know you are NOT responsible for this but it all leads back to the same problems, one of the major contributors is the Faction team who are the complete polar opposite to you in terms of how things are running they are failing horribly with no repercussions, unlike in the Business discord any suggestions and comments are met with open mindedness and constructive conversation, in the FT it's met with childish and gang mentality style conversation, I got kicked out of the FT team discord for pointing out that the lead FT can't even string a sentence together in English and talks to the community like he is IC it was a perfectly fair criticism as it was true.    This was all lead up to by members trying to offer constructive criticism of the failings of that team and why the server is pretty much cops and robbers, Foco TDM 24/7.    The server was flooded with cheap guns and drugs which mean nothing to anyone now, poor RPers are met with little to no resistance I've reported several DMs and the players are still roaming with as little as a verbal warning, another example there was a weapons hacker on the server two nights ago and he was finally banned after being warned three times.... He should have been banned first, if not second at the earliest.  

Apologies for the length of this feedback but I believe those external factors are the single reason for any failings, my other issue which again comes from leads in general but heavily focused towards the FT is they all have vested interests in street gangs that is ALL they are interested in to the point where Mitcholodo himself in the Discord intimated that 'the only type of illegal rp is street gang rp' which is absolutely ridiculous.   Unlike other communities when they start and the staff team help build the community up with engagement I.e. helping with businesses by as little as visiting them, at a push having an alt to help run them even if it's a short term whilst the community builds.  I have had advertisements up for over a fortnight for staff and nobody is interested, i've seen in other communities if you are encouraging good RP the staff will lend a hand whilst the community builds, you don't see this here because they are all in Davis doing exactly the same thing rather than putting the community interest first it's their own which is bizarre because it will result in them being the only people stood in Davis.

The good RPers in this server are trying their best, a great example is the good chaps who are heavily invested in the servers GOV they are trying to hard to deal with some of these problems IC a good example is the LS Splash events which I was lucky enough to get the catering for as Sushi Dai's that event should have had at least 20% of the PB online at the time turn up maybe more there was 150 players online and 12-15 people turned up, next to NO staff / Admins / Leads turned up ICly to those events because it 'doesn't match the street gang rp appeal' it's a huge problem it's effecting all levels of RP especially business because there is just no interest there because it doesn't involve the following, guns, drugs or ending up in prison, a shoot out or calling each other the N word.

I fully appreciate you was looking for feedback in regards to script support, what you can do specifically and i'm sure I could offer some of that but if the issues i've highlighted aren't addressed there won't be any decent players left to write scripts for truly believe that unfortunately.  Reduce /cad spam it's horrible lines and lines of green text in between RP, when business owners call it '/cad wars' highlights a problem in itself.

I'm sorry to hear all of this. Can you send me a pm on discord or forums so we can talk about this and see how we can prevent/fix this in the future?

The Los Santos Splash was unfortunate to have opened with several other businesses being open at the same time which spread the playerbase. But I can assure you there were staff members (as I was there ICly along with 4 others)

Regardless, send me a PM so we can see how we can fix the issues you're having with FT. I'm not aware of the things you listed happening so I'd love to hear your side

• Senior Lead Admin

Thanks for the transparency & honesty Martin. And I believe a massive kudos is in place to Imperium also. 

Looking forward to the future of LS-RP! 

• Bigsmoke 1
  • Lead Developer
53 minutes ago, Spyrex said:

I do not know what frameworks and technologies you use, so I cannot say for certain that I can be of any help in the development. I do happen to be a software engineering student, though, so I might. Please do let me know if the technologies are listed somewhere because I can't seem to find it anywhere.

• Love 1

Props to Imperium for all the work he's put in as recently his efforts have contributed massively towards improving user experience. Although there has been some OOC run ins with Nature, he has been great on supporting illegal factions through reports IG and on the forums. But, I notice a lot of bad chatter about gang RP and how many guns are in the server, causing a lot of neglect towards illegal factions right now. There is very limited script pushed towards illegal factions, with drugs barely ever being brought by anyone as I believe they offer no benefit right now and also guns seem to have become more scarce meaning it's very hard to make money illegally right now with the state of the script. A few weeks ago, I saw a lot of active factions on their blocks, now it seems very hard to interact with other factions. This doesn't just include making money illegally as there are also very limited ways of making money legally as well.

Another addition already mentioned, is graffiti. This is a massive miss right now, as tagging up walls on opposing factions blocks was a major part of RP back on SA-MP and I hope to see this come back soon, along with more features toward illegal RP as a lot of the chatter right now is based on businesses and legal factions such as SD and FD.

Appreciate the honesty from you though, Martin. I hope to see the server get to the state we all know it can achieve. 

• CJ 1
  • Thumbs 1
  • OK 2

Respect for honestly, for what it's worth. Since 2011, I have never considered roleplaying anywhere else, as I believe the RP standard within the community is what sets LS-RP apart from other servers.

As for scripts and mods. Please consider adding the scripts that complement players creating RP for others. Since they rarely speak up or ask for anything, there is still much that you can do for them. Because if they become inactive, the rest will follow. Other than that. Kudos to the business owners who keep opening constantly.

Hope you guys succeed and my RP career won't have to end here. Good luck and have fun!

• Thumbs 1
  • Strong 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, remmy said:

I sent this to Dos Santos as per his request for company feedback, but I'll also leave it here.

As someone who just started a company, the biggest problem that I, and many of the other who've recently had their companies accepted, have been facing is mapping.

Mapping is incredibly time consuming and the current system is very abysmal and barebones. On top of that, finding a mapper is increasingly difficult. The only active, reliable mapper is Natasha Valentine who is backlogged for weeks with requests.

My suggestion is a two-parter.

The first part is to upgrade the furniture UI. A few examples of this would be:

• Allowing for duplication of an object in any direction to avoid having to manually spawn, place and align each floor/wall piece.
  • Allowing flight/noclipping during furnishing.
  • Continuous furnishing. For example, not removing you from the furniture menu every time you save an object.
  • Provide picture previews for objects and furniture in the menu.
  • Allow stacking, which would work the same as duplication except it would connect two different objects.
  • The ability to freeze moving objects. i.e moving lights, rustling leaves and vines.

I am by no means a developer so the technical limitations to these are lost on me but having even some of them would GREATLY improve the furnishing experience.

The second part would be to create a dedicated staff team for mapping. Since the money used to pay mappers is already reimbursed by staff, I think it would be beneficial to have a team that can be applied for that would basically put you on call for mapping purposes. Instead of staff reimbursing the company owner, staff could just flat out pay members of said mapping team a set amount for the interior they're mapping. Differing amounts based on size, number of floors, number of rooms, etc. This would:

• Eliminate the drought of active mappers.
  • Eliminate the need to apply and wait for reimbursement
  • Eliminate unrealistic interiors, since the team would be held to a certain standard
  • It would pump money into the economy which people seem to find difficult to come across.

As I stated before, I'm still quite new to owning a company on this server but in the relatively short time that I've had one, this has been the biggest obstacle by a significant margin.

Mapping in general is irritating, tiresome, time-consuming and inefficient. The need to map a business if you're no good at it can stall RP for weeks at a time while you try to get your business up and running. After having to apply for the business, apply for all the licenses, have a lead admin set up your company and business, you STILL need to pray to god that either you or someone you know personally is capable of mapping because if not, you're simply SOL until Natasha Valentine magically becomes available.

Absolutely 100%. I don't understand how I can place a roadblock and then hit u and duplicate it, but in furniture I have to manually go find the object name in furniture, and then hit duplicate.

Respect to staff for acknowledging the flaws at hand. Looking forward to participating in this two week plan the best I can as a player. People need to remember just waiting for the players to arrive and not actively engaging is not participating in the change that is necessary. 

Welp, you can't fix problems without admitting they're there so this is a great post.  LSRP has been around a long time and these aren't the first problems out of the hundreds if not thousands of ups and downs LSRP has had for a total upwards of 10 years.  Its a trial and error deal.  You guys are doing really good as you go, and I think LSRP is headed back to it's pro character development attitude.  Good job addressing current issues and keep providing a great canvas for great RP because thats what all players deserve and what all staffs and developers deserve to take credit for.  Focus on realism and character development.  If people are DDossing this server its because we're doing something right. You got our support!

• Strong 1

Drugs and pistols should be reinvented.

There should be gun smuglers that smuggle gun parts. Gun assemblers, and than eventually gun dealers. It should all be done scriptwise, five minute wait time etc.

Atm, drugs feels useless. its just an irritating effect, it barely gets used ig. I know people that cant sell their drugs because people don't buy it.

Edited by memooh
  • Thumbs 2

Greetings,  Staff

Try to survive the attacks from ddos and other ways if you can, after that keep up work with your plans, my honestly think.

Everyone who liked organizated and truly hard and interest RP will support your work without denying it.

❤️ for all !

• Love 2

It's good to hear from you Martin, I'm pretty sure everyone is thankful for your efforts, after all we are humans.

I invested so much time into the server back in SAMP and now .

Id love to see the server thrive like back in SAMP.

The things I want is more solo content, more jobs legal and illegal, black market, scenario scheme for solo and quick response to reports and other appeals that need admins to progress.

• OK 1
  • Strong 1
39 minutes ago, memooh said:

Drugs and pistols should be reinvented.

There should be gun smuglers that smuggle gun parts. Gun assemblers, and than eventually gun dealers. It should all be done scriptwise, five minute wait time etc.

Atm, drugs feels useless. its just an irritating effect, it barely gets used ig. I know people that cant sell their drugs because people don't buy it.

I made this suggestion and it was shot down INSTANTLY with no discussion by FT leads for being honerous too much effort, hence the OP.

• Bigsmoke 1

As someone who's been playing on and off again this server needs a lot of work and that's including balancing the car prices, more content and more incentives to roleplay. 

• Strong 1

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.