Mikee

• Lead Admin
17 minutes ago, Mikee said:

Dudes, it is obvious that roleplayable jobs are better than scripted ones, but you know, money has to come from somewhere, you know? This thread is not meant to be a thread to say that scripted jobs are better than roleplayable jobs or vice-versa. This thread's goal is to improve the actual jobs system in order to let newbies to have the chance to choose something never seen before or even to have some fun ( and then, with time, they will understand how to roleplay properly - but at least we should try to not make them leave the server after 1H of playing, you know? ).

It is always better to roleplay and not to grind, that's obvious, but you have to understand that while SAMP was just a niche game, GTA V is much more palatable and newbies will surely come here to try. This means that there might be new faces around, new possibilities and more fun.

Yeah but this is what I mean though - World found a way to straddle the line between the standard grindy jobs and ones which require roleplay. So working in shops, or as a mechanic who fills up people's gas, was handled by the script itself and not by players. It worked well in some ways because it made accessible, less grindy jobs for new players... but the flipside is that I don't think anyone ever roleplayed as like the "Manager" of each establishment. I could be completely wrong here, I didn't play enough on the server to understand how it works exactly.

The money does have to come from somewhere, you're fully right there. I just think favouring a job system which doesn't put the player on a "go here, do this, drive here, click this button a few times, drive back" track is good progress - especially when we've seen that there are systems like the one on World. Not saying it's perfect, but the vision behind it is clear: pump money into the server in a way that promotes roleplay. 

Although I also get that new players might be pretty intimidated by the idea of being put in a position like a shop worker, where they're still relatively new to RP and might be like "ohhh my god what if I fuck up". A standard script job like the ones implemented or that you've suggested would obvs be more appropriate for easing people in. 

Sal

On 1/24/2022 at 6:43 PM, Mikee said:

Standard Jobs:
- Taxi Driver
- Trucker Job
- Trashman
- Harvster
- Fisherman

Possible New Jobs:
- Lumberjack
- Hunting

Instead of having scripted jobs there should be server-owned companies which players could join freely and that would pay less then player owned companies, encouraging players to switch to a player owned company, that does the same tasks, as soon as possible. In my opinion, jobs where you just walk onto a spot and type a command should be a thing of the past and we should move on to more immersive systems.

While hunting and fishing shouldn't even be considered as jobs, in my opinion. You get a rod and you go fishing, selling your catch to a fish processing plant. Same with hunting - you get a rifle, a license and go hunting, selling the hunted animals to a butcher. Hunting now could be especially interesting, as it is possible to have actual wildlife. 

qgv23wo.png

All script jobs should be tangential to other systems and/or provide some sort of good or service to other players. Trucking being used to stock businesses is probably the most linear example I can think of for this. GTA:W has an issue with encouraging players to use taxis: being able to teleport your car to yourself, respawning wherever you had logged off, and being able to dependably teleport between properties you own more or less makes it completely worthless to ever use a taxi outside of rare occurrences and/or role play. You sort of have to strike the balance between something being a pain in the ass (stocking your own business, running 15 minutes to go get your car) and compensating players to provide that service to others. 

I know I keep drawing a lot of parallels to GTA:W but it's my only experience with GTA5. Their business paycheck system is literally genius and it allows players to actually role play instead of doing these god awful fucking script jobs. Seriously: please do this.

• Thumbs 2
  • Love 1

Maybe jobs that LEAD to roleplay? Maybe leave the various 24/7s owned by the server and leave a scripted job inside them. A player can take this job and, from that point, they're assigned a uniform and are a clerk for that location.

After that, automated ads are posted [The 24/7 in Strawberry is now open.] every x minutes to keep steady business in. The player can RP as a clerk, while others who accept the job can clean, RP stocking, etc.

Maybe have waypoint objectives that the player has to stand on for a few seconds to simulate cleaning, stocking, etc. Not required, just an idea.

Maybe the player gets paid for: small percentage of money spent on script items, multiplied by how many people are in the store, and they pocket any money for purchases made for RP, non-script items (lottery ticket, magazine, etc).

YBYvD4O.gif Qe0qceV.gif

THE BILINGSGATE MISFITS

As Above, So Below - KIEREN LEDBETTER

Spoiler

Hall of Fame

0YMEIUs.png

zbNHczV.png

HITYFrc.png

IttpHWy.png

QzHrrQR.png

27ca0f64b7.png

fe1c89c70f.png

0Bf0K91.png

vUa21sx.png

Scripted-jobs aren't player involved and they should be the minority rather than the majority. Keep the ability to create 'jobs' via role play as the main drive here. Hunting can be accomplished by role-play and it can be great if the script itself accommodates hunting (animals and so forth) but we should keep the amount if script-wise jobs to a minimum for role play integrity. 

• Thumbs 1

22 hours ago, i hold the shank said:

maybe more IT jobs? the mdc looks real in depth im pretty sure there's also working computers so it would make sense to have tech for it.

The last thing I want to do is roleplay being on a computer when I'm playing on one. I'd much rather rp jobs that I'm not likely to do IRL or physical jobs out in the field. 

I think taxi driver, trucker and garbage man jobs already exist, I would like to see uber driver as a scripted job as well.

As much as I like agriculture, I don't think we need a scripted farming job when you can just roleplay that if you do it in the right way like roleplaying seasons, soil problems etc... It doesn't really matter if you will earn money from it or not, If anyone remember Whetstone Dairy Products that was my company and we didn't make any profit from what we were doing, in fact I was losing money on employees' paychecks and such. Nevertheless it was just a good RP experience and I'm glad a few people gave it a chance.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:30 PM, RUMLY said:

Not a huge fan of scripted jobs. I'm actually curious what about them you enjoy? I mean that in a nice way. 

You have to consider that there are going to be times on the server with low pop and no one really around to RP with. Script jobs can help to fill in that blank space, especially for people who play in less than ideal time zones. I am more often than not left only RP'ing with a select few individuals who fall into my time zone and the scripted jobs help to aid our RP. If they didn't exist, I wouldn't be playing at all. It's also a great introductory job for someone who is brand new and helps them learn server commands and ease them into pursuing a job at a player-owned business and such.

• Thumbs 1

Scripted jobs come with a number of positives and negatives. Most people will argue that a great deal of players will basically pick the most profitable job and spam commands as they watch their bank account number increasing. Certainly, some people will just grind as that is what a number of people do in video games. However, most jobs that come from roleplay share the same risks. If you ask any person around to think of such a job, they'd all say bodyguard, bartender or dancer because those are the vacancies one has to fill when those who have managed to collect money will ask for. It is no secret that the most popular business are nightclubs. Unfortunately, even though there are players who will be creative even with the aforementioned jobs, most players will just sit there and switch between animations while occasionally roleplaying certain acts.

On the other hand, there is a need for script jobs. I really enjoy being a trucker. Most of the time, I change my playlist to cliche country songs, gather my friends and start convoys. The idea of delivering goods during nighttime and taking occasional breaks at gas stations and diners is just great and very entertaining. Only this whole thing would not be any fun if there was nothing tangible, like an actual destination to go to and some kind of income because your character will eventually need money to fulfill their needs.

On 2/4/2022 at 1:51 AM, Venta said:

Instead of having scripted jobs there should be server-owned companies which players could join freely and that would pay less then player owned companies, encouraging players to switch to a player owned company, that does the same tasks, as soon as possible. In my opinion, jobs where you just walk onto a spot and type a command should be a thing of the past and we should move on to more immersive systems.

While hunting and fishing shouldn't even be considered as jobs, in my opinion. You get a rod and you go fishing, selling your catch to a fish processing plant. Same with hunting - you get a rifle, a license and go hunting, selling the hunted animals to a butcher. Hunting now could be especially interesting, as it is possible to have actual wildlife. 

This is actually a decent idea that could be refined to create an environment where players can work and roleplay without grinding jobs by spamming in-game commands every now and then. In the trucking job's case, I would love to see a proper business/company system where there is a need for actual resources and individual owners can make their offers. That way there those involved will only be able to make limited deliveries and interact with actual people in the course of their duties. It'd be more dynamic, creative and immersive.

• Thumbs 1

DISTRICT ATTORNEY NATHANIEL COOPER
LOS SANTOS COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE"For the People"
VVtNi9h.png