Custom Hoods - Map Additions

presidentialdrugs

On 12/5/2021 at 4:02 PM, IdleStacks said:

I have a hard time believing custom mapping would be 100% necessary right off the bat and I think it'd be a good idea to avoid server bloat and poor performance/sync issues as long as it's possible. Projects overcrowded with factions? Join an existing one or roleplay as something else.

im fairly sure these mods are just client-side additions rage loads when you enter a server so they wouldnt really affect performance like typical mapping would

I understand the desire to expand the map to accomodate more illegal roleplay, however I feel it is a bit premature to think about adding new gang-oriented neighbourhoods when we haven't even filled up the current neighbourhoods yet. South Central is an excellent place to roleplay and it makes sense to make it a dense and populated area where people can roleplay with each other in a more natural setting rather than spreading factions out so they have to drive across the map to find another faction to interact with. In the short term this would also go against the idea of keeping the scripted map dense so it's a bit more busy.

I haven't specifically looked into the map mods listed in the topic but any gang hood that we add means we're removing a default area with a different setting. This in turn reduces the roleplay capabilities for non-gang roleplayers. Obviously there's room for expansion down the line but keep in mind that we're on a limited map and we'll have to sacrifice areas to add more gang neighbourhoods.

On that note, before we add any new neighbourhoods in the future, our focus will be on customizing existing neighbourhoods to cater to those players already roleplaying there. I would personally rather have limited hoods that are well developed rather than having many hoods that lack depth in terms of map content.

Edited by Mario
  • Thumbs 1
  • OK 1
  • Love 1

I support custom hoods or overhauls to make it more trashy or making it look better in general for basic RP. I liked the: " New Grove Street Hood " video for example, I think something like that would be nice, but even nice little touch-ups would be good to include like little hangout corners with ghetto couches, tables with alcohol on it and a little fire bin. Little pieces of furniture spread around like that for hangout spots would be a nice touch in my opinion.

Edited by Natasha Valentine

0hO1ou7.gifXoiz438.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The mega mall also has a lot of potential for roleplay in the future and cutting it out to replace it with houses seems silly. The amount of roleplay that could happen there if it is taken into the right hands would support hood roleplay 10x more than a new street or two. In real life it's used for swap meets, harbours small businesses and is just a general area to gather; if these could all be replicated properly in game it'd be so cool. I'm pretty sure another server tried to emulate this but it ended up turning into a proper mall which didn't really fit the vibes.

That Grove Street one is very cool though. It'd just be a case of seeing if it negatively affects FPS as I'm sure a lot of players who will be transitioning over don't have the best PC's in the first place.

Edited by r0yal

• 4 weeks later...

it’d be really cool to see useless areas like the mega mall to be removed and a whole new area to roleplay around in. tbh, the mega mall is just going to be a breeding ground for hardcore mallrats so it’s better to put a block there which will definitely contribute to the small south central area, giving more factions a place to set up at. also having east Los santos mapped and adding in whole neighbourhoods there would be great too as the ELS (el burro heights etc) area has so much potential mapping wise.

2 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I'd love to see the Rancho projects pasted somewhere in El Burro. I think it'd make East Los way more viable for gang roleplay. 

Exactly. East Los is very barren when it comes to roleplay since the area is mostly industrial. The area definitely needs a remap considering that East Los is supposed to act as a hub of Mexican culture.

• Thumbs 2

26 minutes ago, La Tweaker said:

I agree. Cypress Flats needs some projects and actual neighborhoods too, seeing as that area's supposed to be based off of Long Beach. Hopefully then people would stop trying to make LBC gangs in vespucci beach.

• OK 1

Valeria Avendaño

Miguel Mondragon

La Puerta Boys

Sinaloa Cowboys

"TRANSNATIONAL ORGANIZED CRIME DOESN'T RECOGNIZE ANY BORDERS" - Patricia Espinoza

Guide to Paisa Roleplay

Guide To Drug RP in Gangs

Community Page

LS-R

Definitely needed, I can tell the mega mall will just end up a mallrat central with supercars, there's a reason why servers are often replacing it with mapping. Majority of the people disagreeing are people who don't even roleplay in gangs. I wanna see gang rpers only have a for say in this. GTA V It's self doesn't even have that many hoods to roleplay off of, so replacing the megamall and giving an extra one would be nice.

EDIT: Adding onto that, for people saying it's gonna kill FPS I doubt it will. Everyone on GTA V at this point has a gaming PC lol. It's GTA V, you need a graphics card to play it. I've seen GPU's like the GT 1030 handle it so I think you guys will be fine lol.

Edited by IsThatHammy
  • Thumbs 1

On 12/28/2021 at 7:22 AM, Xanakin said:

I'm all for however keep in mind that certain mods might severely impact FPS, even if it works fine on FiveM for example - they're different clients using different builds, I can see Rage experiencing more of a FPS drop than FiveM players would.

FiveM is more unoptimized then Rage BTW. I think Rage will be fine. I've played many fiveM servers and I can most definitely say Rage has better optimization.

Edited by IsThatHammy
  • Thumbs 1

• 1 month later...

if somebody interested:

When people ask to remove certain objects/buildings to add residential areas and other stuff instead of them, I think that's a pretty fair request. People who know the GTA V Los Santos map well also know that HD versions of South Central and East Los have their own number of problems, which creates not the most pleasant conditions when it comes to RP there. 

For example:

1. Scale in general. Unlike GTA SA LS, where we had a fairly small city, it still had a lot of streets, roads, dead-ends and spots, which created a sense of real scale. In the case of GTA V and specifically South Central, we actually have only a couple of main roads, which are very wide and take all the free space away. Just count how few streets there are in South Los Santos if you compare it to big brother.

Denied - Map mod for the server | Mafia City Roleplay - GTA V Roleplay

sKazrU4.jpg

2. Infrastructure. Don't get me wrong, but when I drive around a city on the West Coast, where it's always sunny and palm trees are mixed with gangsters everywhere, I definitely don't expect to see such a huge number of factories, abandoned businesses and industrial buildings. Just take a look at the Rancho, or Cypress Flats. You feel like you're in some kind of Detroit. If we go back to GTA SA again, we can take Willowfield and El Corona as examples. There was a huge dump and quite a lot of industrial buildings, but they never created a problem, because in the first place of these areas was the creation of residential infrastructure (apartments, housing projects, swap meets etc.). GTA V lack of all this and honestly has a lot of useless/unused areas. 

image.png.db63e5313b2e943f746f33ccff66189d.png

58ysaLQ.png

nY9oRcF.png

fVhpicP.png

xIpg4by.png

3. Compressed and missed areas. For me, the main advantage of the GTA SA map was that with such a small size, old Los Santos contained almost all the districts of Los Angeles, which made it possible to show the game of a particular gang as accurately as possible. Like Ganton = Compton, Jefferson = Watts, El Corona = Lennox, East Beach = Long Beach, Idlewood = Inglewood etc. In the case of GTA 5, there are many areas that are a mixture of several real neighbourhoods at once (Rancho - Watts + Florence, Strawberry - Inglewood + Crenshaw, Davis - Compton + Slauson), and some are not represented in the game at all (Long Beach). This is often the reason why players create factions in areas that are not created for gang RP (Vespucci Beach, Morningwood, most of the Mirror Park, etc.). It becomes very crowded with time and players literally have to fight for a COUPLE OF HOUSES.

So.. I actually agree that South LS and East Los better should be expanded, overhauled and maybe even gentrified at some places. This would greatly improve the immersion in the atmosphere, for which everyone is here.

Edited by g1zmo

On 12/7/2021 at 11:37 PM, Mario said:

I understand the desire to expand the map to accomodate more illegal roleplay, however I feel it is a bit premature to think about adding new gang-oriented neighbourhoods when we haven't even filled up the current neighbourhoods yet. South Central is an excellent place to roleplay and it makes sense to make it a dense and populated area where people can roleplay with each other in a more natural setting rather than spreading factions out so they have to drive across the map to find another faction to interact with. In the short term this would also go against the idea of keeping the scripted map dense so it's a bit more busy.

I haven't specifically looked into the map mods listed in the topic but any gang hood that we add means we're removing a default area with a different setting. This in turn reduces the roleplay capabilities for non-gang roleplayers. Obviously there's room for expansion down the line but keep in mind that we're on a limited map and we'll have to sacrifice areas to add more gang neighbourhoods.

On that note, before we add any new neighbourhoods in the future, our focus will be on customizing existing neighbourhoods to cater to those players already roleplaying there. I would personally rather have limited hoods that are well developed rather than having many hoods that lack depth in terms of map content.

I can't help but agree completely with what Mario has written here. I see that there also were a lot of allusions to performance impact if these mods were to be added to the game server and I think that the possibility of that happening is certainly there depending on how many external objects load up at once. What Mario said about sacrificing one neighborhood landscape to get another makes perfect sense. It just seems pointless to me to go into this blindly and so I'm against this whole idea FOR NOW.

Maybe in the future the LS-RP mapping team with a little optimization could make some dope mapping like Coconuty did back on SA-MP. Safe to say that this idea in general shouldn't be excluded nor forgotten about but for now we shouldn't be thinking about this at all.

I've heard things from other GTA V role-play communities where their players are saying that the GTA V map is really huge and I think so too. With the little experience that I have with GTA V (only singleplayer) I've gotten lost so many times and couldn't memorize the map because of how big it is. My head was spinning. It is noteworthy that I'm talking here about a community with 1k+ players daily online and the city itself still feels really empty.

So I solemnly suppose that nobody here would avail anything prior to actually seeing for ourselves what the LS-RP playerbase will look like. We need to first see if the city will feel dead or alive to us with the amount of people that will be playing LS-RP on day-to-day basis. If the city feels dead then there's no reason to be adding additional neighborhoods, the only logical assumption that I can think of on why the average role-player would want custom mapped neighborhoods under those conditions is for aesthetic purposes. I think that we should just be patient for the server launch and then shed light on this topic once we've checked the server out ourselves.

𝗥𝗲𝘁𝗶𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗚𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗔𝗱𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗼𝗿

On 3/4/2022 at 1:29 AM, g1zmo said:

if somebody interested:

When people ask to remove certain objects/buildings to add residential areas and other stuff instead of them, I think that's a pretty fair request. People who know the GTA V Los Santos map well also know that HD versions of South Central and East Los have their own number of problems, which creates not the most pleasant conditions when it comes to RP there. 

For example:

1. Scale in general. Unlike GTA SA LS, where we had a fairly small city, it still had a lot of streets, roads, dead-ends and spots, which created a sense of real scale. In the case of GTA V and specifically South Central, we actually have only a couple of main roads, which are very wide and take all the free space away. Just count how few streets there are in South Los Santos if you compare it to big brother.

Denied - Map mod for the server | Mafia City Roleplay - GTA V Roleplay

sKazrU4.jpg

2. Infrastructure. Don't get me wrong, but when I drive around a city on the West Coast, where it's always sunny and palm trees are mixed with gangsters everywhere, I definitely don't expect to see such a huge number of factories, abandoned businesses and industrial buildings. Just take a look at the Rancho, or Cypress Flats. You feel like you're in some kind of Detroit. If we go back to GTA SA again, we can take Willowfield and El Corona as examples. There was a huge dump and quite a lot of industrial buildings, but they never created a problem, because in the first place of these areas was the creation of residential infrastructure (apartments, housing projects, swap meets etc.). GTA V lack of all this and honestly has a lot of useless/unused areas. 

image.png.db63e5313b2e943f746f33ccff66189d.png

58ysaLQ.png

nY9oRcF.png

fVhpicP.png

xIpg4by.png

3. Compressed and missed areas. For me, the main advantage of the GTA SA map was that with such a small size, old Los Santos contained almost all the districts of Los Angeles, which made it possible to show the game of a particular gang as accurately as possible. Like Ganton = Compton, Jefferson = Watts, El Corona = Lennox, East Beach = Long Beach, Idlewood = Inglewood etc. In the case of GTA 5, there are many areas that are a mixture of several real neighbourhoods at once (Rancho - Watts + Florence, Strawberry - Inglewood + Crenshaw, Davis - Compton + Slauson), and some are not represented in the game at all (Long Beach). This is often the reason why players create factions in areas that are not created for gang RP (Vespucci Beach, Morningwood, most of the Mirror Park, etc.). It becomes very crowded with time and players literally have to fight for a COUPLE OF HOUSES.

So.. I actually agree that South LS and East Los better should be expanded, overhauled and maybe even gentrified at some places. This would greatly improve the immersion in the atmosphere, for which everyone is here.

This mirrors exactly what I feel about GTAV's map too. While San Andreas' Los Santos is smaller, the game was built around gangs and gang warfare. A lot of different hoods had representation, while West and Central LS were condensed instead. Now, the city's much larger but South LS especially feels smaller and less diverse than San Andreas.

On 3/5/2022 at 12:49 PM, Biskit said:

I can't help but agree completely with what Mario has written here. I see that there also were a lot of allusions to performance impact if these mods were to be added to the game server and I think that the possibility of that happening is certainly there depending on how many external objects load up at once. What Mario said about sacrificing one neighborhood landscape to get another makes perfect sense. It just seems pointless to me to go into this blindly and so I'm against this whole idea FOR NOW.

Maybe in the future the LS-RP mapping team with a little optimization could make some dope mapping like Coconuty did back on SA-MP. Safe to say that this idea in general shouldn't be excluded nor forgotten about but for now we shouldn't be thinking about this at all.

I've heard things from other GTA V role-play communities where their players are saying that the GTA V map is really huge and I think so too. With the little experience that I have with GTA V (only singleplayer) I've gotten lost so many times and couldn't memorize the map because of how big it is. My head was spinning. It is noteworthy that I'm talking here about a community with 1k+ players daily online and the city itself still feels really empty.

So I solemnly suppose that nobody here would avail anything prior to actually seeing for ourselves what the LS-RP playerbase will look like. We need to first see if the city will feel dead or alive to us with the amount of people that will be playing LS-RP on day-to-day basis. If the city feels dead then there's no reason to be adding additional neighborhoods, the only logical assumption that I can think of on why the average role-player would want custom mapped neighborhoods under those conditions is for aesthetic purposes. I think that we should just be patient for the server launch and then shed light on this topic once we've checked the server out ourselves.

the performance worries stem from people not knowing the difference between server streamed objects and DLCs. the YBN map has no impact on server performance because its a purely client-side addition, and if its made to similar R* quality in terms of topology it won't have FPS issues either. it's a DLC RAGE forces your game to load before you play - that's it. on the other hand, typical mapping should be avoided as much as possible because the performance costs on RAGE are way heavier - you can't get away with spamming hundreds of objects server-side like you could on SAMP. on World there are notoriously laggy businesses that can't function if like 50-100 players enter

as for the map? while big there's not much variety at all. east LS is nearly all industrial and u dont really get the feeling you did on SAMP. i really do think sprucing up these areas by expanding residential houses into removed/revamped industrial zones would benefit the server immensely. parks, schools, public housing and projects would add so much to the atmosphere and would only require people to download a DLC once when they launch the server

people will see (especially gangs) that rping next to 7 factories with nothing nearby is pretty boring unless like previously stated they move into historically incorrect places just to get better amenities 

Edited by yekim
  • Thumbs 1

15 hours ago, trouble.maker said:

This mirrors exactly what I feel about GTAV's map too. While San Andreas' Los Santos is smaller, the game was built around gangs and gang warfare. A lot of different hoods had representation, while West and Central LS were condensed instead. Now, the city's much larger but South LS especially feels smaller and less diverse than San Andreas.

Yeah, simply because GTA V main goal was not an attempt to portray gang life on the same level as GTA SA. That's the reason why areas like Vespucci Beach or Rockford Hills have way more details and actually feel like their real prototypes. But it would be fire to see updated neighbourhoods, for example with restored details of GTA SA map (like Willowfield, El Corona and East Beach parts instead of most of the industrial buildings at Cypress Flats, La Mesa and El Burro in my screenshots above, Ganton, Idlewood and Jefferson parts at Davis, Strawberry and Rancho, etc.). Even just nicely expanded hoods will be enough already, I guess.

Edited by g1zmo

• 3 weeks later...

As much as map additions would be cool, factions/gangs should fill up the areas that already exist first imo. There's plenty of areas across LS, not to mention that IRL, gangs aren't limited to South Central. There's gangs from Hollywood to Venice Beach irl. It'd be cool to see some West LA inspired gangs being made in West LS, or oldschool Hispanic gangs in El Burro and the surrounding areas

Edited by La Tweaker