How should we roleplay the distance? 

witness

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 11:53 PM, ImpossibleProphet said:

this is a gray area thats best left gray tbh.

This. It should be as the countryside, LV and SF were in LS:RP - according to convenience and what the people involved in the roleplay find it appropriate to be. If at all possible, avoid talking about it at all.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, chrillzen said:

I am dumbfounded as to why they would try to depict it in such a manner. It doesn't work. Ignore what the story says. Travel times should be travel times, nothing else makes sense. Whether or not the map is a realistic layout we cannot change and should just be accepted as it is.

You right fam. Fuck all this interpretation bullshit. It is what it is. 

I think it should be one of those things that can be interpreted in different ways to enhance role play. If you want to RP a road trip then there is nothing stopping you but by enforcing a rule where you must RP the distance it will be impossible for law enforcement to work unless they had a stupid amount of officers split across different departments on the map.

Role playing different times and sticking to that is impossible. It'll create an awkward divide between people who already are understanding of the concept, and people who have never heard of this approach before. There's absolutely no reason why we should role play set times for distances, just role play between whoever you're with or role play it what it is. 

Creating this awkward paradigm will make things convoluted and unnecessary. 

Edited by owen
  • Thumbs 1

Option C would work best. Although the map may not feel as huge when flying around in a jet or speeding in a super car, most of the time you're roleplaying you're on foot. It would take about 2 and a half hours to walk from one side of the GTA V map to the other, so roleplaying it as being a couple hours away would make for great roleplay & it would give the world a much more realistic feeling.

This is unnecessary. We're just complicating things at this point for the sake of being complicated. The time it takes to drive from LSIA to Paleto Bay is really just the time it took you to drive there. Nothing less, nothing more. You're probably taking a different route to another player, so that's going to be a different drive time. I understand the realistic aspect of it, but some things are never gonna work here, because after all, this is just a game.

Imagine the fuss when a bigger roleplaying scenario happens and everyone has to travel the entire map. It's gonna get confusing, don't you think?

• Love 1

I've always been of the opinion that San Andreas is its own universe and should be treated as such. If it takes you five minutes to get to Sandy Shores from Los Santos, then five minutes is what it took. Why? Becouse if you roleplay that it takes two days to get back from Paleto, the other players around you will still roleplay that you've only been gone an hour because their characters haven't left town. It's just like prison time, X is arrested and comes back after 2 days as if he's been in prison for I don't know how many years, but for the other players it's only been 2 days in character and it creates too much of a continuity gap.

30 minutes ago, Cronic said:

This is unnecessary. We're just complicating things at this point for the sake of being complicated. The time it takes to drive from LSIA to Paleto Bay is really just the time it took you to drive there. Nothing less, nothing more. You're probably taking a different route to another player, so that's going to be a different drive time. I understand the realistic aspect of it, but some things are never gonna work here, because after all, this is just a game.

Imagine the fuss when a bigger roleplaying scenario happens and everyone has to travel the entire map. It's gonna get confusing, don't you think?

I agree with everything said here.