Why the underscore in the in-game name?

Are you in favor or against the underscore?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which side are you leaning against?

• In favor.
    • Against.
    • I want the ability to toggle in between the two.

23 hours ago, Bluman said:

I find it fairly warranted.

I dunno if it changed in SAMP's later years but you couldn't use spaces in your username so we had underscores. As far back as 2010 and earlier, servers couldn't even omit the underscores so it looked like: "Chris_Bluman says: ..." It's just a legacy thing but I'd rather us use underscores and have the script omit them when we type.

That's one of the reasons I heard the most of. Quite sure it was a throughout thing with SA:MP. But I am quite sure most servers moved to the format of logging in there with UCP names because of that as well. In LSRP V it shouldn't be a thing. GTA V allows spacebars in the name (afaik) and shouldn't really limit that in any way. The other big GTA V RP server does not have underscores in their names and also allow multiple names and - in the name.

I'm not sure how relevant the "easier to type commands" thing is, but it sort of makes sense, though most people used IDs in SA:MP days anyway.

• Clap 1

• 2 weeks later...

i am ancient. the _ was always a client limitation to the SAMP client. you had to set your "nick" on the client before joining a server and that field (for whatever reason) did not support spaces. thus, for the entire history of LS:RP there has been an _ between names.

whether or not GTA V has that limitation, i do not actually know. however, if we are able to omit the _ i am in support of that, just looks cleaner i suppose.

• OK 1

17 minutes ago, Bean said:

i am ancient. the _ was always a client limitation to the SAMP client. you had to set your "nick" on the client before joining a server and that field (for whatever reason) did not support spaces. thus, for the entire history of LS:RP there has been an _ between names.

whether or not GTA V has that limitation, i do not actually know. however, if we are able to omit the _ i am in support of that, just looks cleaner i suppose.

was just about to type this 

it don't fall out the sky, gotta start with nothin

On 1/1/2022 at 10:51 PM, sneakybae said:

Newer players like me are just gonna have to deal with and get used to it, seems like the majority are in favor of the underscore.

Anyway, I have updated the OP to include a poll. Please cast your vote there too, just interesting to see what the players of LSRP want. Multiple choice option enabled as well.

Spoke a bit too soon, looks like the majority prefers no underscore. Personally, I prefer no underscore but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Great question though, I wasn't even aware of this until you brought it up.

• jack locked this topic