How can we make illegal RP better?

springie

18 minutes ago, DDaniels said:

What are the pro's to more guns in the server and around the illegal faction community?

A more realistic illegal economy, more realistic gang rp, gangs not having to rely on russians & italians for guns when realistically no gangbanger would ever want or care to interact with either of them, because gangs get weapons in their own ways, they don't approach mafia bosses and sell them hundreds of bags of cocaine for guns.

• CJ 1

9 hours ago, La Tweaker said:

I agreed with most of what u said, but this. Sports teams (especially real life brands) are vital for gang roleplay, as every sports team out there has a logo/letter that they represent, each of these letters also represents a specific, or multiple gangs. The in game 'teams' consist of three teams, the magnetics, the feud and the boars, so unless the only 3 gangs are Mafia Crips, MS-13, Florencia and Bloods (That for some reason wear purple hats) then using the ingame teams to represent your gang IC is really non feasible. To enhance gang roleplay, we need modded clothes with real life team logos on them (even if it's only a few select teams). The only other option would be for management to go ahead and make a bunch of fake brands/teams and implement completely new designs into the game, which is really non feasible when we've got perfectly good hats to roleplay wearing to represent our factions already available on gta5mods.com and also actively being used on other RageMP communities with 0 issues.

Adding on to that, I'm not gonna roleplay drinking something that's called pisswasser, or a drink with some weird sexual innuendo. I'm gonna RP drinking Corona.

You got me with the Pisswasser lol, I forgot how overt they got with some shit in the later entries. I've seen some of the fake companies that management made up in the previews and honestly I really like them and feel like they could have come straight out of the main game. I do think the fake teams should remain, but I wouldn't be against adding a couple of real-life team hats in principle.

Kitting yourself out in full Bulls gear or whatever would be a bit too much for me though, that would just remind me of the HQ skin Chiraq era on SAMP and probably give me nightmares.

1 hour ago, IdleStacks said:

Kitting yourself out in full Bulls gear or whatever would be a bit too much for me though, that would just remind me of the HQ skin Chiraq era on SAMP and probably give me nightmares.

Yeah nah unless that gang member is a massive fan of the bulls, nobody's gonna go around fully kitted in gear tied to that team, what I'm referring to is strictly gang related hats, most other articles of clothing are trivial and wouldn't exactly need to be branded. Hat banging is a prevalent thing when it comes to modern gangs and is the go-to method nowadays for representing one's street gang and for identifying fellow/rival gang members.

https://www.gangenforcement.com/gang-adopted-sports-attire-and-commercial-logos.html

On 12/20/2021 at 7:28 PM, DDaniels said:

How do you suggest that's achieved? What are the pro's to more guns in the server and around the illegal faction community?

There should be low level guns that are available to even small unofficial factions in small amounts. In LS-RP, on several occasions, I witnessed factions that were official with admins in them dealing guns on a OOC basis.

So many people got their guns OOC it was almost socially acceptable - just don't get caught.

• Thumbs 1

How do you suggest that's achieved? What are the pro's to more guns in the server and around the illegal faction community?

I suggest an application process should be devised and made available for people who wish to roleplay as arms dealers, be they roleplaying with factions or not.

This application process should determine a couple of things. where the guns are coming from, who, if anyone, is getting the guns for the player, what the player is planning to do with the weapons, what's the long term goal for the character (kind of breaking the OOC/IC divide here, unfortunately) and the player should be making clear any and all OOC/IC affiliations they have with any factions, all this relatively long application should serve to dissuade and weed out people who would just be going "/me would get the guns from Texas" and merrily skipping off to sell guns to their OOC friends.

The ultimate objective of this application system is to make sure that there is a realistic weapon-to-end-user pipeline.

What are the pro's to more guns in the server and around the illegal faction community?

* The official faction monopoly on firearms is broken, this would made guns resemble more a commodity like any other that is subject to supply and demand, and since more supply would be introduced in the form of these unofficial arms dealers, it would help keep guns at a stable, realistic and attainable price, staving off inflation for a longer time, and diminishing its effects when it inevitably happens.

* More supply of firearms in the hands of smaller dealers means that gangbangers are no longer forced to totally-not-metagame the name of some important Italian or Russian and try to get in good with them - it gives street gangs, stick up crews and other similar factions street-level weapons dealers that they can realistically gel with well enough.

* Factions without OOC connections and copious amounts of money aren't hopeless anymore, since these street level dealers are supposedly far more accessible in terms of where they're situated in the criminal totem-pole.

* Players who are not affiliated with any official criminal factions now have the slim possibility of roleplaying an arms dealer, opening up new avenues of roleplay.

* A handful of official factions are no longer the ultimate arbiters of who gets to engage in criminal roleplay. Let's be real here, without weapons, a TON of avenues of RP are closed off to factions, no robberies, no faction attacks, no self-defence, no gun re-selling. The former system is good, but it places a ridiculous amount of trust and power into the hands of very few people.

* Gives the factions team (?) more avenues through which to control the supply of guns into the server. If whoever deals with this thinks there's too few guns in the server and is already handing out as many weapons as he's comfortable with to all the official factions, then applications can simply be opened and new weapons dealers made. And as always, if there's too many guns, you can always just lower the amount you give out.

However there are some cons as well.

* You risk flooding the server with dirt cheap, disposable weapons, which could lead to an increase in people shooting each other over minor perceived slights, deathmatching, aggression baiting police, etc etc. Nothing new, but always worth thinking about.

* More work for the various teams as the supply of firearms has to be fine-tuned to keep the server well-supplied, but not bursting.

* Whichever team is tasked with dealing with these applications (faction team? mods? testers?) will be opened up to criticism, unwarranted or not, and community scrutiny regarding which applications they're accepting and denying.

* Slightly lowers the prestige of being an official faction.

* More OOC systems in place, more opportunities for meta gaming and favoritism.

In my opinion the pros far, far outweigh the cons.

This also gives the PD the opportunity of minor investigations on individual weapons dealers to take down. Being accepted into this weapon dealer program should come with the stipulation that the PD is given permission to take you down permanently if they manage to build a case against you, encouraging good criminal roleplay and regularly weeding out characters too stupid or short sighted to last long , as well as giving the investigation arms of the police something to do other than build cases against official factions. I could stay here and wax poetic about all the incredible RP opportunities this would bring to both sides but I'm going to leave it here since this is already a really long winded post.

• Thumbs 3

Making illegal roleplay financially viable would be a great incentive as well. Back in the SAMP server, if you weren't part of an illegal faction your only options were to rely on savings or have a side hustle like trucking/fishing. You could always work a corner slinging weed or rob people, but that had a high risk with very low reward. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Anthony_Navarra said:

faction management needs to consist of people who actually play illegal characters and actively roleplay in the scene 

I can definitely agree with this. On the other server most people know  for some reason their IFM consisted of people who were primarily legal role players and has caused a lot of problems.

I agree with the consensus but I think it should be much more than just playing illegal characters. Mostly because anybody can make an illegal character, anybody can throw up a thread, garner some support and use it as a justification. There should be mountains of experience, seasoning and understanding of the bracket other than "I've had this character, and that character." I don't want to say members are role models because they're definitely not but they should definitely lead by example. Not only their knowledge and understanding of the genre, but their roleplay should also stand out from the horde.

I don't want to see legal roleplayers in faction management. I don't want to see inexperienced illegal roleplayers in faction management. Everyone should be tried and proven with successful characters or factions behind them, making it a case of "we must practice what we preach." If it becomes institutionalized by legal roleplayers or roleplayers because they're "modders" or "staff" then the house of cards falls apart and everyone calls it quits. The selling point of this server is its promise to the illegal community and without that, most of us lose interest. So far we've seen very little, heard very little and know very little.

We know that there's pre-launch supplier applications but other than that, we're in the dark for the most part. More communication should be a priority considering we're 23 days out and even the turnaround times for them aren't looking great. We should be doing all we can to make sure factions hit the ground running so that it helps their longevity long after launch. Businesses, for one. Otherwise we'll all be roleplaying in public parks and alleyways. Another thing to consider is that we'll all most likely be vying for the same territory so this disorganization will cause a mass amount of factions who are gunning for the same spot to bump heads almost instantly.

I've been a little disappointed in the lead-up to launch in terms of communication and being clued in. Not in terms of management or development who are extremely busy and focused on the actual activation of the server but to those who have been entrusted with the functionality of the server itself after launch. As someone who's going to be leading one of the server's biggest factions and one of the longest standing ones, I feel that we're left somewhat in the lurch by multiple departments who should already have all of this done by now.

Edited by Chuckles
  • Thumbs 8
  • Strong 1

5 hours ago, Chuckles said:

I agree with the consensus but I think it should be much more than just playing illegal characters. Mostly because anybody can make an illegal character, anybody can throw up a thread, garner some support and use it as a justification. There should be mountains of experience, seasoning and understanding of the bracket other than "I've had this character, and that character." I don't want to say members are role models because they're definitely not but they should definitely lead by example. Not only their knowledge and understanding of the genre, but their roleplay should also stand out from the horde.

I don't want to see legal roleplayers in faction management. I don't want to see inexperienced illegal roleplayers in faction management. Everyone should be tried and proven with successful characters or factions behind them, making it a case of "we must practice what we preach." If it becomes institutionalized by legal roleplayers or roleplayers because they're "modders" or "staff" then the house of cards falls apart and everyone calls it quits. The selling point of this server is its promise to the illegal community and without that, most of us lose interest. So far we've seen very little, heard very little and know very little.

We know that there's pre-launch supplier applications but other than that, we're in the dark for the most part. More communication should be a priority considering we're 23 days out and even the turnaround times for them aren't looking great. We should be doing all we can to make sure factions hit the ground running so that it helps their longevity long after launch. Businesses, for one. Otherwise we'll all be roleplaying in public parks and alleyways. Another thing to consider is that we'll all most likely be vying for the same territory so this disorganization will cause a mass amount of factions who are gunning for the same spot to bump heads almost instantly.

I've been a little disappointed in the lead-up to launch in terms of communication and being clued in. Not in terms of management or development who are extremely busy and focused on the actual activation of the server but to those who have been entrusted with the functionality of the server itself after launch. As someone who's going to be leading one of the server's biggest factions and one of the longest standing ones, I feel that we're left somewhat in the lurch by multiple departments who should already have all of this done by now.

yeah, it's a little concerning how everything is being split up and compartmentalized into tiny departments where stuff is handled privately. the server is already extremely regulated (again) and im afraid the launch is going to be a lacklustre experience for anyone who wasnt cherry picked, or already friends with people in the in-crowd 

imo management really need to focus on development instead of divvying out responsibilities to 30 different people. have a grace period at the start of the server where things are easier to obtain, then think about stringent regulation later when you know whos who, and whats what. give factions the benefit of the doubt and let them have access to basic weaponry and drugs off the get go, without needing to jump through hoops

businesses, weapons, guns and a strong mix of players are vital for a server launch of this stature, and locking it all away behind heaps of paperwork and nut cupping just isnt a good idea - especially during the server's most important week. you can always ban or punish dmers/shitty rpers, but you cant magically bring back high value players frustrated with their lack of access to basic necessities

feels like there needs to be someone in the staff team who exists solely to tell micro managers to relax cuz coming up with these convoluted systems will always lead to a lack of communication

Edited by yekim

13 hours ago, Chuckles said:

yep, 21 days until launch and we still don't know any details about legitimate businesses, i feel like this should be already addressed to give people at least a couple of days to create anything that will actually work at the server launch.

Edited by mtz64

Do not coddle or baby illegal roleplayers. That is the best way to ensure a high standard of RP in the illegal scene. I really really have high hopes for this server and I'm looking forward to both legal and illegal roleplay but I'm not going to lie, I am very curious to see how the illegal scene unfolds. I love seeing well roleplayed criminals and gangs that can string along more than two words at a time and actually show some character development instead of just pewpew pointless "gang wars" with no actual strategy behind it. Don't be afraid to clean up the scene when it's actually needed. Illegal roleplaying tends to attract more toxic players than the legal scene. This really gives the community a bad rep. Get rid of the bad apples while you can, before good illegal roleplayers decide to leave themselves.

With that being said, do give the illegal roleplayers the proper guidance and support they need. A good set of admins who have roleplayed as criminals but aren't biased would be a great start. 

Also, strongly agree with IdleStacks. Make arms supplier role available to people outside of factions as well.