Discord killing storytelling in RP

Deceive

Just something that's been on my mind AWHILE and felt like sharing today.

Discord's kind of killing RP.

The most fun I had with RP was when nobody knew what my character was. There was no planning or looking for reason to login. I just logged in and let the story write itself, met a lot of cool people and had a lot of fun. But then I started joining discord servers and oh boy, there are A LOT of them. Every company/business/faction has one and somewhere it feels like we lost the plot with our reliance on discord for everything. It's now come to a point where people won't login unless somebody posts a "reason" for them to login and those "reasons" won't come unless people login. Chicken and egg problem? 

I'm not blaming Discord for low playerbase. But, just felt that it somehow kills the charm of storytelling.

Idk what I'm trying to achieve by posting this but just felt like posting this lol

• Thumbs 1
  • Love 1

I feel the same, before I ever had discord the only way I could find or contact the people I wanted to RP was getting in game and finding them myself. Now everyone just flirts and says weird things in a discord chat rather than hopping into the game. 

• Love 1

LS-RP Tester

Faction Team Staff

Strong Black Lead 

3 hours ago, MikeDawg said:

I feel the same, before I ever had discord the only way I could find or contact the people I wanted to RP was getting in game and finding them myself. Now everyone just flirts and says weird things in a discord chat rather than hopping into the game. 

Yeah sometimes I wanna bleach my eyes for the cringe fest I see on discord chat channels

• Deceive changed the title to Discord killing storytelling in RP

That is true, some people nowadays avoid others roleplay if they don’t win in it and just look forward to discord to meet up and erp their rich characters. Pretty sickening. I remember LSRP having quality rp scenarios and people we’re just here to actually rp.

Edited by GOTTIFINESSE
  • Love 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dimitri 'Demon' Milkovich    Davis 'Dev' Santana                                 

2 minutes ago, GOTTIFINESSE said:

That is true, some people nowadays avoid others roleplay and just look forward to discord to meet up and erp their rich characters. Pretty sickening. I remember LSRP having quality rp scenarios and people we’re just here to actually rp.

the era of the report section dwellers and mental ill erpers
glad i was playin like 10y ago

• Thumbs 1
  • Love 1

a9wQGYD.png      bBlHF72.pngj6wIKHj.png

Back then, if you wanna meet someone you get IG and look for that someone, everything happened ICly, no OOC intervention. Times were simpler, people cared about RP, seeing and interacting with the city from their characters eyes, people back then cared about creating stories and develop their characters, doesn't matter if the win or lose.

Yeah we'll never have that again.

• Love 1

lol u guys are being disingenuous. before discord we had skype and before skype we had IRC. there's always been ooc mediums to organize roleplay 

not only that but gta5 is too big and cumbersome to facilitate fast dynamic rp. spending 10 minutes going through loading screens and getting your pc bricked only to navigate a colossal dystopian city in search for scraps of rp is not a viable thing

u could boot samp in 20 seconds flat and be rping within 2 minutes of logging in which isnt the case here

Edited by trashstar
  • Clap 1
  • OK 1

3 minutes ago, trashstar said:

u could boot samp in 20 seconds flat and be rping within 2 minutes of logging in which isnt the case here

Simply untrue. As mentioned over, and over, and over- it isn't as simple as uploading old SAMP files to a server and pressing play. Go search "SAMP" and look at all the reasonings posted by the development team. I'm sorry but it just isn't gonna happen.

6 minutes ago, trashstar said:

lol u guys are being disingenuous. before discord we had skype and before skype we had IRC. there's always been ooc mediums to organize roleplay 

I do agree with this though- the other mediums being used ten+ years ago.

1 hour ago, MAK0 said:

Simply untrue. As mentioned over, and over, and over- it isn't as simple as uploading old SAMP files to a server and pressing play. Go search "SAMP" and look at all the reasonings posted by the development team. I'm sorry but it just isn't gonna happen.

I do agree with this though- the other mediums being used ten+ years ago.

huh i wasnt asking for a revival of the samp server i was saying samp took 20 seconds to load and u were ingame pretty much instantly, as opposed to rageMP where it takes 5-10 minutes to load, leading to my point that discord is much more needed now because its a chore to hop ig

Edited by trashstar

Just now, trashstar said:

huh i wasnt asking for a revival of the samp server i was saying samp took 20 seconds to load and u were ingame pretty much instantly, as opposed to rageMP where it takes 5-10 minutes to load

Ah- my bad, then. I see how you meant it.

Agree with that, it was pretty quick loading compared to Rage.

• 2 weeks later...

Its hilarious to see people bitch and moan on discord about people not loggin in > while not loggin in themselves

also yeah, agree with what u said deceive.

Gotta lure people in with 'reasons' aka events, when in reality, if those people will log in (without giving a reason) then a reason to be ig will appear.

But now, with the current situation, unfortunatily thats the way to get people ig cuz now even if i get ig and want to get a reason to stay - i dont have it cuz i dont have anyone to communicate with, even after driving for 10 minutes all around AND thru Mirror Park [which should be the RP hub afaik no?]

• Thumbs 1
  • OK 1

Only showing muscle when its flexing time

Thorgar 'THOR' Eriksson
HELL RUNNERS MC

On 3/18/2024 at 7:04 PM, ThePolterguise said:

thru Mirror Park [which should be the RP hub afaik no?]

Nah, it didn't work out. At hindsight, I dunno why I tried to make it happen fully knowing nothing with only OOC intentions and no IC character motivation will actually work out but it is what it is. Gave it a shot, didn't work out. It still has scope provided a couple of factions settle around the area but yeah.