What's missing from the server?

$piffy

NOT A SUGGESTION THREAD, JUST MY EXPERIENCE ON THE SERVER AND WHAT I THINK COULD HELP

With the server still being in development, and the playerbase still on the rise, the experience for some players can feel bland and become boring due to the lack of things to do, which is obviously understandable...

Sometimes you may run into players and create a roleplay scenario here and there, depending on the time you play, and what style of RP your character is into. (Legal or Illegal) But there are moments when there aren't players in the server to roleplay with for simple interaction, or money making. So this leads to driving mindlessly around the huge, empty world , or grinding the oddly satisfying, but boring jobs. (trucking, mowing), and eventually logging out. 

I think the server needs more dynamic objects/items around the map to interact with in order to boost solo roleplay/small group RP, different scripts and commands that encourage different types of roleplay/micro RP scenarios; this could be a dumpster diving script for example, dynamically spawning parked NPC cars that maybe don't belong to people, but have low-tier valuables in the trunk and other potential risk factors. Dynamic objects could be randomly spawning around the map at any given time and could be interacted with to either earn money or acquire items that aren't necessarily available in stores that could be sold at a pawn shop (/pawn) etc. There would be risk/reward, and work required for each of course.  Credit to @jawnt for coming up with this ^

More accessible commands available for everyone to use, not just solo players or players that are apart of a faction/business. @Venta made a great suggestion with /work that was approved (Scripted Retail Jobs) which basically allows the player to walk into a store and simply begin working for $ with the use of a command (/work). Another is /selldrugs which has been suggested and debated, allow a player to begin selling drugs on spot, and make small amounts of $, the risk could be police are alerted if you are in the area too long. /robregister or /robatm, introduce this with the same minigame as the car breakins/alarm system and some sort of cooldown system, etc. If you aren't in a faction/business, or have a scheme with access to certain features and commands, there just isn't anything to do from a solo perspective that keeps you engaged. 

Tapering system is cool and all, but feels too grindy & like a real job. I understand being realistic, and keeping the economy stable and balanced, but it should still feel like a video game and come down to roleplay at the end of the day. A player could have 10 million, but actively roleplaying as a homeless person, gang member, etc. The money is needed to purchase the items in game that fit the style of how the player is developing out to be. (Properties/Businesses, Vehicles, Weapons, Drugs etc). It's on the player to properly display the development of their characters. You shouldn't have a lamborghini if you're roleplaying as a homeless person, or a gangbanging street kid with a multi-million dollar business and a Yacht...

I believe these things create player independency; not always needing to rely on an administrator, another player, or a script feature/command, to create RP or generate $ There are times when we are alone and solo, and roleplaying at all times isn't available, so this would help in keeping players engaged and logged on. These things could make the world feel a lot more alive and immersive when things get quiet.

Feel free to elaborate on anything I may have said, or share your own ideas! 

Edited by $piffy
  • Thumbs 1
  • OK 1
  • Strong 1

This is something that I certainly wouldn't have agreed to a couple of years ago, however, considering the current state of the server; this is absolutely more than necessary. The server does need a couple more MMORPG elements, (even though most hardcore roleplayers despite them) simply due to the fact that the playerbase is, as you've said, still on the rise. We need something that'll motivate players to log in and actually be content with the fact that they might not find many players to roleplay with at their timezones; however, they'll still have something to do that'll attract other roleplayers and potentially provide them with a fun activity. 

Edited by livid
  • Thumbs 1
  • Strong 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, domcexd said:

Nothing's missin bro.

We thank you for your incredibly insightful input as we must admit we were struggling to navigate the complexities of life before your profound wisdom had enlightened this community with such detailed and reasonable input. Your contribution to this suggestion has undoubtedly elevated this server's existence to new heights. Thank you.

• Bigsmoke 1
  • Strong 1
  • Love 2

• Lead Developer

So some things:

Tapering does not reduce your cash flow, it boosts early cash flow. It's set based on cycles: trucking gets $1000 per 4 hours for example. Without tapering this is $250/hour, with tapering this is what we see now ($400, $300, $200, $100, then resets) specifically so you don't have to grind, but if you do then you don't lose anything compared to the system before. If we're going to discuss removing tapering, income is going to be cut for the earlier pays and increased for the later pays so it's all uniform.

As for /work, we have /startshift and we could potentially find a script job to do this (such as a server-owned gas station) but the income would be minimal compared to joining a player-run company to encourage player interactions.

A lot of stuff like /selldrugs doesn't line up with LSRP's goals so would not be considered.

Robbing ATMs is coming soon(tm), for now you'll just have to rob the cash vans that refill the ATMs instead.

As for the dumpster diving, this is also something I've considered doing recently - especially as we have the trash script, I would like to place random items like watches, radios, etc in these trash piles that accumulate when nobody does the garbageman job, and have it an open inventory as well so that players can put stuff there themselves. This makes things like dead drops possible, but also means they can dispose of a murder weapon in the trash before it gets destroyed by a garbageman, especially with the upcoming forensics script.

• Clap 7
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, ImperiumXVII said:

As for /work, we have /startshift and we could potentially find a script job to do this (such as a server-owned gas station) but the income would be minimal compared to joining a player-run company to encourage player interactions.

I still believe this is needed. A great stepping stone for new players with no roots to LSRP is a server-owned job that attracts RP from other players. Maybe new guy is testing the waters of the server and just wants to spend a few hours seeing how others RP, or maybe they're just too shy to hop on the forums and apply for a job yet.

Either way, I don't see this addition having any negative side-effect. John_Smith Lv1 is online and wants to open 24/7? Awesome, it's now a green icon on the map and may draw others to visit. John_Smith Lv1 doesn't feel like /startshift or isn't online? No big deal, you can still go to that and any other 24/7 to buy whatever you need.

I'd say maybe even make this a thing with the/a pawn shop(s).

I really think these basic server-supported scripts are a great idea and would benefit the server tremendously, for new and old players all around.

2 hours ago, ImperiumXVII said:

As for the dumpster diving, this is also something I've considered doing recently - especially as we have the trash script, I would like to place random items like watches, radios, etc in these trash piles that accumulate when nobody does the garbageman job, and have it an open inventory as well so that players can put stuff there themselves. This makes things like dead drops possible, but also means they can dispose of a murder weapon in the trash before it gets destroyed by a garbageman, especially with the upcoming forensics script.

This would be very cool to see. Would also be cool to see a way to possibly "fill up" dumpsters, adding that dumpster/location to the next route for trash removal. This reminds me of a suggestion I had, too!

Edited by MAK0

I fully agree to all the comments that were mentioned above, but what I firstly want to see is a "finger pointing" script and secondly, a script-option to be able to adjust your position while you are in an animation. Those are right now the most important ones that I see missing. They might just seem like little details, but everybody would be glad to use the script ability after all.

Edited by SausageFruit

3 hours ago, SausageFruit said:

I fully agree to all the comments that were mentioned above, but what I firstly want to see is a "finger pointing" script and secondly, a script-option to be able to adjust your position while you are in an animation. Those are right now the most important ones that I see missing. They might just seem like little details, but everybody would be glad to use the script ability after all.

Both of those are approved suggestions 

• Strong 1