What do you think makes a character feel like an NPC?

RUMLY

People with minimal roleplay that just do what they have to do without creating or engaging in roleplay done by others. I'm talking about the usual officers who just walk straight to the duty room to ''go on duty'' and then back out to leave in their car without interacting with people in station or civilians that don't take in account of an incident that is happening in public and just shrug it off. Those people are replaceable and don't provide anything whatsoever. 

• Thumbs 3

9 y/o gang bangers who drive better than Hamilton and shoot like they served 30 years in the royal marines

spacer.png

DEPUTY SHERIFF (BONUS II) CHAD AARON KRASINSKI
A/OPERATIONS SERGEANT, CUSTODY SERVICES DIVISION
LOS SANTOS COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT — "A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

ALSO A/LIEUTENANT JAMAL CHAQUILLE CARR
TEAM LEADER, OPERATION SAFE JAILS

idk about feeling like an npc but it makes me mad as hell when it looks like I'm rping with a dude's keybinds

this stretches from the cop who may as well be a police officer soundboard to criminal whose favorite sentence is "where you from cuh?" /me rushes the individual

Edited by IdleStacks

Characters that lack emotions. Sometimes, players roleplay characters that show no emotions either because they fail to immerse or because they don't consider their character's mental state during a player interaction.

Another thing that really ruins my immersion is an unrealistic approach to a casual conversation. Some common examples include 16-year old characters citing case law. police officers responding to regular everyday questions as if they were quoting the police manual, and players who reply with short sentences as if they were a program bot that only recognizes two values; true and false.

DISTRICT ATTORNEY NATHANIEL COOPER
LOS SANTOS COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE"For the People"
VVtNi9h.png

34 minutes ago, DDaniels said:

I dislike people who roleplay the perfect faction member, who perform every task perfectly and always does everything on time. I like characters more that occasionally fuck up but strive to become a better version of themselves. It creates character instead of acting a script.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Too many teacher's pets in that line of work. Most people's characters don't make or get lazy.

DISTRICT ATTORNEY NATHANIEL COOPER
LOS SANTOS COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE"For the People"
VVtNi9h.png

On 2/18/2022 at 11:36 AM, DDaniels said:

I dislike people who roleplay the perfect faction member, who perform every task perfectly and always does everything on time. I like characters more that occasionally fuck up but strive to become a better version of themselves. It creates character instead of acting a script.

It's because many are scared to face the ramifications from their faction if they slip up. 

spacer.png

Roleplaying an empty shell that's "for the gang" 100% or the perfect mobster etc. is probably the biggest problem, at least for illegal rp. It goes hand-in-hand with people who don't create any roleplay on their own.

Another related issue is when everyone is super friendly with each other within a faction. Characters, I mean. Most conflict in a gang or a criminal organization is internal, and much of it is about trivial personal things and personality conflicts. That is never reflected in roleplay though.

And then I suppose there's how much OOC has seeped into roleplay in recent years. Both late LSRP and GTAW became discord roleplay servers, where people just log in to go through the motions. This is probably the biggest single issue I personally have with current roleplay habits. It doesn't necessarily make characters feel like NPCs but it does make it feel like you're roleplaying with the person, not the character.

• Thumbs 2

I absolutely hate the cut and dried yes-man type of characters whether it be within the legal/illegal realm who always go "OK", "Yeah yeah yeah", "For sure for sure" just for the sake of agreement without considering any sort of con to whatever it is they're agreeing to.

This is the short NPC-like interaction that definitely makes for some really bland roleplay experiences, they won't take things a step further to spice things up and actually make the effort to extend the roleplay and get some substance out of it.

Not to mention the 'preset' cookie-cutter characters that are always roleplayed the same way with the same demeanor and identity over and over again, the only thing that changes are the character names.

Edited by Tens & Twenties
  • Thumbs 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's not so much as a (NPC) but more so players playing on Alts with lack of depth and that only appear once or very rarely. I experienced this a lot while running a company on LSRP SAMP. You'd show your whole business location, do an interview with them, get them all setup etc and give them a task while spending all day with them/teaching the ropes of how the business operates or what to do and then they never come back again since it was an alt to begin with. I typically don't like just /inviting players with no context. This happened to a lot of companies, that's why I'm personally against Alts in general, not that everyone has bad alts though, I've had a quite of few players that did well using alts and had the time to maintain both.  

Edited by Natasha Valentine

0hO1ou7.gifXoiz438.gif

Attempting to "bully" others in various places OOCly just because they care about their character and the roleplay.  I think they really have a problem maintaining their character and RP standards if they're talking shit about the roleplay someone else is doing. 

• Thumbs 1