Courts

I think the biggest thing that needs to be ensured is to have as little involvement from staff as possible, except to ensure the smooth running of the factions or unrealistic laws aren't passed. I would say the biggest challenge that many communities face is the balance of power aspect. A faction leader of the Police Department for example shouldn't be immune and should answer to someone.  Setting those pathways should be done carefully and I'd love to see more emphasis on pushing the player-ran aspect and less focus on management being involved in various aspects.  

• Thumbs 2

11 minutes ago, Flemwad said:

I think the biggest thing that needs to be ensured is to have as little involvement from staff as possible, except to ensure the smooth running of the factions or unrealistic laws aren't passed. I would say the biggest challenge that many communities face is the balance of power aspect. A faction leader of the Police Department for example shouldn't be immune and should answer to someone.  Setting those pathways should be done carefully and I'd love to see more emphasis on pushing the player-ran aspect and less focus on management being involved in various aspects.  

Management didn't really have much involvement in courts on the previous server.  But I do agree that  the legal faction leaders should not be exempt from answering to someone in character as the previously were. 

On 1/6/2022 at 7:36 AM, Benavides said:

The standard in regards to warrant approvals and throwing out cases is going to be handled by judges, who will hopefully be competent. If law enforcement factions do a bad job with cases in-character, then they should be thrown out by the system.

Should be handled by the State prosecutors. If your case is weak and has no validity it should get no billed and dropped by the state before it ever sees a court room. That's why I brought up bail and other systems.

• Thumbs 2

It'll be a great idea to bring this courts thing idea alive. It'll carry on with more roleplay before an arrest is made, and like Florida mention above: Should be really handled by the state's prosecutors. I hope that there'll be players to roleplay it on this one so it'll be a way more realistic enviroment for everyone. 

• Thumbs 1

Absolutely sharing the same thought about this one. It's necessary to ensure effective protection of citizens from any sort of discrimination. Either way, it would drastically improve the civilian - government relations and on the final cause, add more good roleplay into it.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:32 AM, eminence grise said:

I agree with Matt here. As I have been part of the judicial scene of GTA W for long enough, there weren't any major issues with the warrant system. It's especially important when it comes to large scale operations. Having judge approve warrants, would be another filter to avoid metagaming. I'm sure it would reduce situations where after raid, heated argument arises whether it was based on OOC information. Obviously it would not be complete guarantee but it would help without a doubt. Also, I'm positive that there is enough interest in the judiciary to provide server with enough judges so there would not be excessive waiting period on the warrants.

I understand that this is a game and we should not go too deep into the complex reality of legal system and overdevelop bureaucracy but having some kind of separation of powers would do server good. Tying hands of law enforcement agencies to some extent, will enhance the quality and thoroughness. Plus the OOC aspect I mentioned before. 

This is a great summary to this thing. But all in all, I support your suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The prospect of a revamped court system on LSRP5 sounds intriguing. Bringing in a system akin to GTAW could enhance both legal and illegal roleplay. I'm sure many players, myseThe prospect of a revamped court system on LSRP5 sounds intriguing. Bringing in a system akin to GTAW could enhance both legal and illegal roleplay. I'm sure many players, myself included, would be keen on exploring roles like judges, lawyers, and prosecutors. Speaking of lawyers, can you guys advise on any for my whistleblower case? I just checked out https://federal-lawyer.com/whistleblower-lawyers/irs-tax/. Did anybody work with them? I will be grateful for the advice! lf included, would be keen on exploring roles like judges, lawyers, and prosecutors.

Edited by Sawirawi