Vehicle Deterioration & Maintenance

EYECE

I had a thought as I posted in the business expectation post, and wanted to garner some opinions on this idea. 

I intend on opening a mechanic shop / tow trucking business as I develop my character when the server opens. Traffic to these shops (at least in my personal experience) is usually limited to individuals who want to modify their vehicles. There is never an actual need to visit these business, and by that reasoning, visiting these locations is mere luxury. What if hypothetically there was an actual requirement to visit these mechanic shops on a basis determined by how well you operate your vehicle? Imagine this: As you drive your vehicle, damage influences a "maintenance required" value. This "maintenance required" value can be a mere percentage that grows higher as you poorly operate the vehicle. That includes damaging the vehicle, and even over regular extended use (at a slower pace of course). Once you reach that 100% thresh point, your vehicle will begin to experience random faults that can only be repaired at a mechanic shop. You cannot speed up past 50km/hr, your vehicle turns left when you attempt to turn right, you drive forward but it pushes you in reverse. These occurrences can all be random, and happen at an increasing rate as the vehicle's maintenance requirement increases in value. 

This post is intended to be an open discussion. Share your thoughts and ideas on the matter.

If you think this is a dogshit idea and I'm out to lunch feel free to say so, I am open to all criticism on the suggestion. 

ShX8Uwk.png

Credits to SHEFFIELD for the instrument cluster picture 

Edited by EYECE
  • Love 2

your vehicle turns left when you attempt to turn right, you drive forward but it pushes you in reverse.

These things don't really happen realistically. However, maybe it's a possibility to have the handling of the vehicle change the more "trashed" it becomes. Think about loss of acceleration, decreased top speed, stuttering (maybe?).

17 minutes ago, xime said:

These things don't really happen realistically. However, maybe it's a possibility to have the handling of the vehicle change the more "trashed" it becomes. Think about loss of acceleration, decreased top speed, stuttering (maybe?).

Yeah, granted I was reaching with the opposite turning idea, but the concept of a malfunctioning vehicle that requires mechanical intervention to repair is the suggestion I am pushing. How this idea is implemented is entirely beyond me, as I am not familiar with scripting potential of GTA V. 

Also wonky shifting (in reverse when you are supposed to be in drive) is definitely a realistic scenario lol. Poorly adjusted shift linkages on the transmission upto legitimate internal issues like sticky shift solenoids and worn valve bodys will cause issues like this. But again, just a suggestion, and doesn't mean it needs to be done like this specifically. I am newer to GTA V roleplay, I come from the oldschool LS-RP era (2006). I am not familiar with what GTA V is capable of from a scripting perspective, so I'm curious if this concept is even feasible. 

Edited by EYECE
  • Strong 1

I actually like this idea, I think it could also create great synergy between a bunch of professions, as taxi drivers and truckers depend on mechanics to keep their own RP going.

However, screw having your controls changed around, that's NEVER fun, in any game. I'm thinking more like decreased top speed and worsening of the car's handling (however, like you, I'm not sure if it's possible to alter the car's handling values "on the fly", so to speak).

Edited by IdleStacks
  • Strong 1

18 hours ago, IdleStacks said:

I actually like this idea, I think it could also create great synergy between a bunch of professions, as taxi drivers and truckers depend on mechanics to keep their own RP going.

However, screw having your controls changed around, that's NEVER fun, in any game. I'm thinking more like decreased top speed and worsening of the car's handling (however, like you, I'm not sure if it's possible to alter the car's handling values "on the fly", so to speak).

I like your thinkin. It can produce roleplay opportunities across the board, and adds a splash of realism to the game imo. 

It might be nice in the near future ( don't think this kind of system will be implemented at launch ), something like a system that causes the main components of the vehicle to wear out over time.

eg:

• Engine:
  • < 100.000 kilometers = GOOD
  • < 150.000 kilometers = NORMAL
  • > 200.000 kilometers = BAD -> Vehicle performance decreases ( acceleration / max speed )
  • ACTIONS: Change engine

• Battery:
  • < 1 month of life = GOOD
  • < 2 months of life = NORMAL
  • > 3 months of life = BAD -> Starting the vehicle requires several attempts
  • ACTION: Change battery 

• Turbine:
  • < 150.000 kilometers = GOOD
  • < 200.000 kilometers = NORMAL
  • > 250.000 kilometers = BAD -> Vehicle performance decreases ( max speed )
  • ACTION: Change turbine

• Tires:
  • < 10.000 kilometers = GOOD
  • < 15.000 kilometers = NORMAL
  • > 20.000 kilometers = BAD -> Vehicle handling deteriorates
  • ACTIONS: Change tires
Edited by Mikee
  • OK 1
  • Love 1

it.png  SENIOR TESTER MIKEE

• HEAD OF FOREIGN SECTIONS
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF ECONOMY TEAM
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF PLAYER SUPPORT TEAM

On 12/6/2021 at 6:51 AM, Mikee said:

It might be nice in the near future ( don't think this kind of system will be implemented at launch ), something like a system that causes the main components of the vehicle to wear out over time.

eg:

• Engine:
  • > 200.000 kilometers = BAD -> Vehicle performance decreases ( acceleration / max speed )

• Battery:

• Turbine:

• Tires:

Added to main post. I like your little write-up and it sums up the functionality of this concept well. 

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, JJABOTULE said:

Yeah this would be a good little feature to the server to make people think twice when trying to jump walls or hills etc with their bikes/cars.

Good point, I didn't even think bout that. You're essentially strong-armed into being considerate of your driving habits or face the consequences. Your wheels goin' down at an inconvenient time or in an unsafe territory? Fuck that, you're gonna wanna cruise and roll around militant and diligent.

Feedback from you guys ascertains the fact that an approach like this to the vehicle system (if even possible) would add a splash of reality into our world. 

6 hours ago, EYECE said:

Good point, I didn't even think bout that. You're essentially strong-armed into being considerate of your driving habits or face the consequences. Your wheels goin' down at an inconvenient time or in an unsafe territory? Fuck that, you're gonna wanna cruise and roll around militant and diligent.

Feedback from you guys ascertains the fact that an approach like this to the vehicle system (if even possible) would add a splash of reality into our world. 

I like this concept, i'm probably going to be your top customer. +1

4 hours ago, Kreslavsky said:

I like this concept, i'm probably going to be your top customer. +1

fuck yeah buddy, you are welcome anytime. lets push this thread so we can at least get it acknowledged by the dev team, that way if this is a feasible idea you actually have a reason to come visit my shop (or any other shop for that matter). 

On 12/6/2021 at 11:51 AM, Mikee said:

Spoiler

eg:

• Engine:

• Battery:

• Turbine:

• Tires:
  •  

tire wear is a good idea. it'd be nice if you could maintain your engine to prevent it from going bad.

29 minutes ago, chrillzen said:

tire wear is a good idea. it'd be nice if you could maintain your engine to prevent it from going bad.

absolutely. i will say i am all about minimalism, and jumping into the rabbit hole of "what could go wrong with the vehicle" might be a lil excessive. if this idea is considered, the approach should be as simple as possible. Over complicating this would be easy to do because all sorts of shit can go wrong with a vehicle, but it really isn't necessary. simply inhibit the drivability of the vehicle if it is in poor condition / used for an extended period of time. when this occurs, you can go to a mechanic for maintenance where they can adequately roleplay the process of changing oil, and putting new rotors / pads on for the brakes etc to essentially "fix" or "re-instate" your vehicle at that time. 

in addition, cost of maintenance varies based on vehicle. that might reduce the amount of supercharged bugattis we have driving around. it costs approximately $1500 per axle on an S-Class AMG Mercedez (2009) for a rotor and pad change. That is $6000 to do all 4 axles. It costs about $400 for a VW Rabbit 2009. Higher end vehicles like lambos and ferrarris are even more expensive. If you vary the cost requirement based on the vehicle, people might not be able to keep up with the maintenance costs of the higher end vehicles, also promoting a more realistic street-scene. 

ideally this strat would address a lot of potential for unrealism and non-rp when it comes to vehicles, and it also directs essentially every member of the server (who owns a vehicle) to a specific business for reasonings other than personal benefit. its a chore, but vehicles are liabilities not investments and shit goes wrong all the time.

I have to post my thoughts on this.

I think if this gets implemented all vehicles should be done separately, because I have witnessed some problems on other rp servers with the vehicles being too sensitive to damage. Besides that, I would like if skilled mechanics could fix a car on the spot.

I'm intend on opening an off-road group. I have already done that on a different server, with a lot of members being irl offroaders. One of our main goals was maintaining realism with adding a little bit of structure and fun to the group (we had strict rules and a vehicle list of capable off-road vehicles, meaning it wasn't just a bunch of Elegies climbing the Chilliad, but we did climb mountains that we wouldn't be able to climb irl). HOWEVER, when we tried to rp all the crashes it was terrible. A lot of new members don't know how the group works and how GTA physics work. Sometimes we would have hard challenges during the trails, which would definetly possible irl, but would be harder to do IG, meaning that a few people would crash.

What I'm trying to say is I don't want a small roll down the hill ruin the entire trail. Also, I'd like mechanics to have the ability to fix cars on the spot, at least partly and/or temporarily. This brings realism but for our group it would ruin all the fun. In this case I'd say it's fun>realism. You can have fun off-roading IRL but it isn't the same IG, so we had to adapt, meaning we would go on more dangerous trails on a daily basis, as running through mud in a forest IG isn't really an option.

I'm staying neutral until I'm sure it won't ruin our entire plan on the server.

Edit: if a system where it gets worse over time gets implemented I'm +1, if we could finish a trail and fix our cars AFTER it, everything would be fine. That's the amount of realism I can agree with.

Edited by MoonBoom

• EYECE changed the title to Vehicle Deterioration & Maintenance