@The Community - Be the change you want to see

SCANDALOUZ

Anyway, back to the topic.

I’ve had friends that had some interest in roleplaying again, but after joining the server they weren’t exactly sure on what to do so they left. There needs to be some sort of hand holding when a new player joins, and I believe this should be a priority.

Not only that, new players want to know what upcoming features are being worked on. I want to reiterate my idea from the first page regarding a public roadmap. A public roadmap would provide transparency to the community on what’s actively being worked on by devs, giving players something to look forward to. A google spreadsheet just isn’t enough.

• Love 4

• Lead Admin
Just now, Fantasia said:

I’ve had friends that had some interest in roleplaying again, but after joining the server they weren’t exactly sure on what to do so they left. There needs to be some sort of hand holding when a new player joins, and I believe this should be a priority.

Not only that, new players want to know what upcoming features are being worked on. I want to reiterate my idea from the first page regarding a public roadmap. A public roadmap would provide transparency to the community on what’s actively being worked on by devs, giving players something to look forward to. A google spreadsheet just isn’t enough.

Yes I would agree with all of this and think it's a core issue to tackle before we even get into trying to get new players (whether they come from other communities, other games, or are new to RP). Many folks are simply used to how LS-RP works that they forget that well, not everyone knows how it works from the get-go. 

Both a better 'customer journey' from landing on the website through to sign-up, followed by some in-game hand-holding at the start, would probably help with a bit of short term player retention for new folks. I get that there are a lot of other big issues to do with systems, scripts and so on, which may result in people eventually deciding it's not for them... but at least if they're given a good start, feel welcomed and so on, they're given the opportunity to decide for themselves further down the line without feeling overwhelmed. 

• Clap 1
  • Thumbs 1

Sal

1 minute ago, Fantasia said:

I tried this with Melissa Garcia. You see how it ended?

Handholding works the best if it's other players doing it rather than staff taking them through some "tutorial".  Then again, you need to have some OOC sense in this. For example, not CKing the people you play with for bringing a new person with them. Or allowing "bad" RPers a job in your faction to teach them how RP works.

6 minutes ago, Sal said:

Yes I would agree with all of this and think it's a core issue to tackle before we even get into trying to get new players (whether they come from other communities, other games, or are new to RP). Many folks are simply used to how LS-RP works that they forget that well, not everyone knows how it works from the get-go. 

Both a better 'customer journey' from landing on the website through to sign-up, followed by some in-game hand-holding at the start, would probably help with a bit of short term player retention for new folks. I get that there are a lot of other big issues to do with systems, scripts and so on, which may result in people eventually deciding it's not for them... but at least if they're given a good start, feel welcomed and so on, they're given the opportunity to decide for themselves further down the line without feeling overwhelmed. 

I think it's more important to help new players meet people and factions to play and grow in. Who cares if a bartender is a poor RPer? He/she will pick it up by themselves as time goes on. Faction members can help eachother out.

But no, most people are afraid of looking like a noob if they play with new players. Instead of welcoming them, they just get rejected. What this server needs is more guns and drugs and a lot of screenshots for the forums, apparently.

Look how toxic some of the community is? It's only a few posts above where Remmy was gaslighting me for feeling unwelcome. Great place to have fun this is.

Edited by Lovebug11

6 minutes ago, Lovebug11 said:

For example, not CKing the people you play with for bringing a new person with them. 

2 minutes ago, Lovebug11 said:

Look how toxic some of the community is? It's only a few posts above where Remmy was gaslighting me for feeling unwelcome. Great place to have fun this is.

Bro can you stop lmao

r5LprBu.png624c1822117a4.png

• Sal locked this topic
  • Lead Admin

And we're done here I believe.

It's a shame really - but at the end of the day, this thread and any thread in general discussions is for exactly that: a discussion. Discussions can get heated, emotional and so on and this is fine and to be expected. It's also why anything which critiques the server or its scripts or decisions isn't hidden or deleted; it's things we need to see to help things get better. 

However, when they become personal attacks on other players or groups of players, this is where the issue lies. If you believe that someone has wronged you in some way then they should be reported - there's information on that here: 

When individuals or groups are named and referenced directly, arguments ensue, and this is the General Discussions forum not the General Arguments forum.

Lockin' up here. 

Sal