Traffic court ?

Sparkles

On 7/31/2023 at 9:23 PM, Tungsten said:

You already have to write arrest records when you jail someone. What if this same "Narrative" box in-game was required to issue a citation, and those notes followed the citation no matter what? The purpose of doing such a "record" would be so that you don't have to show up to the court hearing, but the issued party also gets a chance to appeal it. In fact, you would be more likely to be summoned to court if no such record exists. It's not just a matter of you not showing up - that would mean the ticket gets dismissed by default.

A citation record can be something as simple as:

With such a narrative, we are bound by both server rules and the Penal Code to give "full weight" to officer testimony.

If the system was completely in-game and streamlined, would it be less of an issue for you to participate?

I think this would be a good medium. A small narrative, along with the dash cam “footage” can take place of the officers in person testimony (just like your narrative). It’ll take 5 seconds to add it while you’re filling out the citation. If they fail to put anything there, then they should get summoned.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Kaos. said:

I think this would be a good medium. A small narrative, along with the dash cam “footage” can take place of the officers in person testimony (just like your narrative). It’ll take 5 seconds to add it while you’re filling out the citation. If they fail to put anything there, then they should get summoned.

Except the ticket is printed out, so how would we add dashcam footage to paper?

28 minutes ago, Kaos. said:

It can be roleplayed as associated to a citation number and uploaded to a database that the traffic court has access to. Wasn’t my idea, it was what @Tungsten suggested

That's going to lead to more OOC disputes when people are IG, and the person who wrote the ticket won't be able to give their side, potentially. 

1 hour ago, Fiendfyre said:

Except the ticket is printed out, so how would we add dashcam footage to paper?

because the process of printing the ticket requires inputting data into the computer, and that is where dashcam footage would be referenced so it can be pulled physically from evidence.com 

30 minutes ago, Fiendfyre said:

That's going to lead to more OOC disputes when people are IG, and the person who wrote the ticket won't be able to give their side, potentially. 

this is the most likely/realistic model. we need to be able to do traffic court asynchronously, or it won't happen at all.

Edited by Tungsten
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, Tungsten said:

Last I heard from @Kotwica we are going to do some form of Probable Cause / Magistrate Hearings to evaluate whether PC exists for a citation. TBH this can only be most effective if the "Arrest Report" system is also used for traffic citations to add "notes" to a citation.

Will that be IG only or forum too?

The presence of traffic courts might be a good addition to roleplay both for players, parking enforcement officers and law enforcement officers. After issuing a ticket, the person can sue the state and that will require the officer to testify in court. It'd be nice!

parking enforcement inc.

12 hours ago, Ascendency said:

The presence of traffic courts might be a good addition to roleplay both for players, parking enforcement officers and law enforcement officers. After issuing a ticket, the person can sue the state and that will require the officer to testify in court. It'd be nice!

Citations are challenged in court. The "offender" doesn't sue the city or the state for a citation, especially a parking citation. Also, as far as I'm aware, parking enforcement officers don't really get subpoenaed to court.

6 hours ago, ScubaStef said:

Citations are challenged in court. The "offender" doesn't sue the city or the state for a citation, especially a parking citation. Also, as far as I'm aware, parking enforcement officers don't really get subpoenaed to court.

large cities send their parking enforcement officers out with tablets which they can use to attach photos of the offense to the record - that's why they aren't called in.

44 minutes ago, Tungsten said:

large cities send their parking enforcement officers out with tablets which they can use to attach photos of the offense to the record - that's why they aren't called in.

I know. I'm just pointing it out. I understand the option of challenging a certain citation, but at the same time, going to court for every citation you get can be pretty repetitive, especially a parking ticket, for example.

• Thumbs 1