Economy

Mikee

Economy is the most important topic, if LS-RP can get this right, it can change everything. I don't know how you can create a realistic economy without making people grind script jobs and keeping the inflation low but if you can manage this? I'll be really fucking amazed. 

Maybe make the illegal roleplay more rewarding economically, but also make it more riskier with forced CK risks which will make you lose your money as well, or life imprisonments and long charges.

Maybe we shouldn't value the money too much and with each CK people should start with certain amount of money, instead of using the few millions they had saved up with their previous characters.

Or inflation is inevitable, which will ruin the server for the new players, maybe not in a month, not in a year, but it will eventually, in 3-4 years.  

57 minutes ago, pure north said:

Economy is the most important topic, if LS-RP can get this right, it can change everything. I don't know how you can create a realistic economy without making people grind script jobs and keeping the inflation low but if you can manage this? I'll be really fucking amazed. 

Maybe make the illegal roleplay more rewarding economically, but also make it more riskier with forced CK risks which will make you lose your money as well, or life imprisonments and long charges.

Maybe we shouldn't value the money too much and with each CK people should start with certain amount of money, instead of using the few millions they had saved up with their previous characters.

Or inflation is inevitable, which will ruin the server for the new players, maybe not in a month, not in a year, but it will eventually, in 3-4 years.  

Best way is to add some supporter checks for beginning hours, and not add savings in at all.

Valeria Avendaño

Miguel Mondragon

La Puerta Boys

Sinaloa Cowboys

"TRANSNATIONAL ORGANIZED CRIME DOESN'T RECOGNIZE ANY BORDERS" - Patricia Espinoza

Guide to Paisa Roleplay

Guide To Drug RP in Gangs

Community Page

LS-R

• 2 weeks later...

"Realistic" economy is important and you'll need it. We did not have one on LS-RP and the server became unplayable for new comers. However, you need  a balance here.  You must face a fact that you can't have a /real/ economy, because it's a game. From my point of view, all you can do is to think on ways to make money leave the server (taxes). However, you'll have to let scripted paychecks exist for everyone ( 500 - 600$ for example), but scripted jobs should not give away  editional scripted wages. Also, you must say a big no to scripted savings and have really low bank interest percent. 

Yup, this is what I suggested on the original server a few times, never really gathered interest though. Server needs real money sinks, if you're going to own sports cars, jets and mansions you better be paying a shit ton in taxes, insurance, bills, etc. to the point where it's like good luck making enough money to keep up with all of those costs. I don't think anyone wants to see police officers, gang members driving around in lambos anymore, they need a real way they're getting that money. The gang member is going to need to be a famous rapper or something.

Edited by Zachh

Taxes, taxes and more taxes.

You wanna be the boss, you gotta pay the cost.

On GTAW I had under 10 hours played... (Probably 7-8 of those hours being AFK tabbed) and my character had $250k + from newbie paychecks. 

Please don't go this route (at least not in under 10 hours ig), you want that half a million dollar car? Pay them half a million dollar taxes, insurance etc.

Also if savings are gonna come back, please make it harder and longer (pause) to gain interest, No way should I be able to turn 10k into 150k within a matter of weeks.

On original lsrp server I had multiple characters with elegants/premiers and other high value items.  I get LS is a high end looking city, but. Everyone isn't flying around in expensive cars.

Hopefully drugs have a realistic low price as well to kind of help balance things out.

Instead of like SAMP where weed was $100 make it actually 10$ depending on the quantity of course and etc. for other drugs..

Edited by Jit

• 3 weeks later...

In practically all fictitious environments, creating an economy is analogous to building a boat: you can put any amount of effort into insuring a system of checks and balances towards some desired result, but ultimately without consistent intervention it will fail the test of time at some point. Pretty much every major MMO publishing game studio has struggled with this exact problem at some point during a game's lifetime. Simply put: as time progresses, the ability to control an in-game economy diminishes. 

Asking for a "realistic economy" will require very strict defined parameters and an acceptance that unintended consequences are impossible to avoid. The most obvious example of this that I can think of is house location pricing.  It was very apparent when we were handling auctions on LS:RP that house prices would always be subject to out of character influence which would destroy people's concept of "realism." Houses that in any other environment should be considered low-budget would be priced alongside mansions because of roleplay appeal, and even these discrepancies could be spiked or plateaued based on a faction opening or closure, and likewise who was in said factions. With a limited supply, it simply was not feasible to control it, and the ratio between full houses in "ghetto" areas and mansions between GTA:SA and GTA 5 seems significantly worse. 

Houses are a useful anchor point for the value of your dollar, but managing things gets even more difficult when trying to moderate the price of drugs and weapons, particularly when trying to enforce some level of roleplay associated with either. You're essentially juggling an asset with extreme demand and low supply, and an asset with extreme supply and low demand, while trying to maintain some semblance of realism.

More or less, what I'm trying to say is don't get your hopes up. Although it'd be easy to criticize, I can assure you that any perceived problems with the economy are largely outside of anybody's control outside of development, and even then after a year or two, the state of the dollar is pretty much a gamble. It can be influenced sure, but whether you'll be sinking or swimming is really up to time.

Edited by Apophis
  • Thumbs 2