First Impressions

Mmartin

Scripts we currently have are pretty good, along with the mods we currently have in the server. Of course, they still need improvements but they'll happen gradually.

But, at the same time, I was honestly shocked to see the lack of scripts such as basic LEO commands or character customization options like makeup and tattoos. I also can't go without saying that some of the existing scripts don't seem like it was tested enough.

Many of my friends called it a rushed release and I honestly can't blame them for why they came up to that assumption, due to lack of players and scripts.

Edited by mhrhan

Finally gave it a go yesterday night as I was trying to recover my old UCP account. No luck there.

The Bad

Players spawn and are given no direction. I believe there should be some handholding at the start as the player may feel lost and not know what to do. I had read the Discord before and knew about /dmv fortunately;
 - Solution: Guide the player at the beginning to the DMV or give them a list of available jobs and how they can find them.

The DMV test is unnecessarily tedious in my opinion. The practical exam wasn't so bad but it doesn't really teach anything. I find the boxes a little off putting to the experience as it looks like a debug visual feature. What is the purpose of this exam? The theoretical exam had some purpose as it made me read the vehicle code and actually learn the law in Los Santos;
- Solution: The theoretical exam should be reworked to include only IC questions. The information to answers these questions should be readily available or there should be some sort of indication as to where the player may find them. The vehicle code doesn't have all the answers to my knowledge. The practical could be looked into as well.

After a few years of using hotkeys, it's a little frustrating to have to type commands like /lock instead of pressing a keybind;
- Solution: Give players the ability to assign hotkeys to commands.

The Good

The server gave me old LS-RP vibes which is good. I like how money is harder to come by. I hope there's no crazy inflation in a few months. The UX/UI is nice and I like how I'm not forced to cycle endlessly in menus whenever I want to do something.

The chatlog feature on the UCP is really cool.

I only played for about an hour so take everything with a grain of salt.

Edited by Cascavel

I roleplayed in Habbo, SAMP, and MTA, and joined LSRP in 2007 when I was 12. I'm 27 now and I'll be completely honest, the primitive script and me being new to V makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. 

Contrary to popular opinion, the current economy is by far the best thing to happen to LSRP. Money is scarce. Money has value. People are actually putting time and effort into earning, and aren't breaking immersion by roleplaying operations they don't understand simply because they have the money to finance it. SAMP was absolutely unplayable toward the end because money was abundant and nobody cared if they tipped the bartender $1,000, $20,000, or if their bookmaking operation operated at a constant loss. How are you supposed to roleplay criminal or entrepreneurial characters when there is no fun in competing for the dollar?

Now, if your business, operation, or scheme is unprofitable, it forces you to learn.

There's a very obvious learning curve: if you are new to roleplay, grind script jobs until you learn to earn through roleplay, or join a faction and learn from more experienced roleplayers. There are no shortcuts or get-rich-quick schemes, and people aren't treating the game as an MMORPG.

Frankly, I love it and, for the sake of immersion, please don't allow savings or bank interest to hyperinflate the economy like SAMP. It breaks immersion on so many levels.

Edited by Giovanni_Sgroi
  • Thumbs 2
  • Strong 1
  • Love 1

Think people need to remember the server is just opened and it'll take time to iron out issues here and there before touching the quality LSRP is known for. 

Goals moving forward should be:

- Aim to motivate a dedicated player base to continue playing. Do this by listening to the community, taking on board feedback, improving the script. 

- Reward factions equally based on role-play quality and how much of an asset they are to the server. All factions doing great work should be rewarded the same, those factions made to do nothing other than cause carnage should be dealt with. 

- Host monthly feedback events as the server develops. 

- Hire new staff frequently, new ideas etc.

All in all, the team has done it before and are experienced in what it takes to take the server forward. Saying that, these upcoming months will be extremely important for the success of the server and that needs to be recognised and we need to get it right, as a whole.

S/O EHC & Oldschool OG's

I will be totally honest and say that I thought LSRP was a big scam because mmartin wasn't releasing the server and when we had the chance to create our characters with patreon benefits I also thought it was just a way to make us chill and keep donating to the server with the release date in sight (then a year later mmartin released the server). Today I think either development started the day you did let us patreon create our characters and fucking lied to us or you understimated the development on RageMP. Hopefully from now on you will be more transparent with your users.

Server scripts are good, I love the phone. Looks modern, feels like a real phone. Gamemode is designed good and with only 2GBs we have kind of a complete server VS the 10+ of gtaw. I really like It. As of today this server has 200 active players and you feel them, you actually see them and you actually interact with them. I have seen some goofy bitching about the 200 players vs 800, although the numbers can be seen as index of quality I have to say that on gtaw you have to wait peak time (with 800 on) to feel the city as alive as LSRP with barely 200. This is a good thing that should be considered by everyone. I hope all the good rpers I have met on that server will come and play here as well. I hope the 1.1 will bring more players to the server and also hope that in future this server won't be a place where you will be banned for your opinion and threatened with legal actions (you still suck my dick french retard) and have your stuff manipulated to make you look like you are a bad person. And doesn't choose profit over quality roleplay. 

Edited by alessandroooo
  • Clap 1

I think you guys have started off with some positive changes, regardless of the actual outcome versus desired outcome. 

Specifically, I think it's great you guys are attempting to correct the economy. I hope those of you on staff realize how hard it is to create a working in-game economy, to add to the difficulty, you'll never please everyone in our community. My advice is continue your trial and error approach and try new things. As long as the development team has scripted a back end function to see the total amount of money in the server, you should never have a problem tracking inflation which means you can always correct the economy. 

I am a bit disappointed to see that lead admin factions are being favored and given the highly desired gun scheme's. I get there could be legitimate reasons for this, but it's also about optics and keeping things above board. 

I think you have a lot of work to do with your script, which is completely expected. What you have released so far, is rock solid you should all be proud of that. Your phone script is SLICK. 

My one major hope this time around, is as a community we can try and move away from our old habits instead of bringing them here to this new era. I'm a big fan of the saying, don't fix what ain't broken, but our past community, its systems and the way players interact with the admin team can all be greatly improved upon. I hope we move away from systems that require admin permission or review for every little thing, it chokes role-play and I hope we can reinvent new systems to protect players from biased decision making. 

All in all, I'm here to stay and thank you for reviving role-play, it's been nostalgic being back here. 

I thought the plan was to delay the server until it was feature rich so you had a comparative advantage against your major competitor? 1.5 years later and you release a barebones server anyway, that looks like it needs another 1.5 years of dev.

Frankly, I think you guys severely underestimated the market for text-based GTA 5 RP. Some of you probably still think there are hundreds of players out there waiting to discover or move over to LSRP.

There isn't.

It's a limited subset of a community that's largely focused on voice RP, and the market isn't growing.

It also doesn't help that there's now a 3rd player entering the market soon that will likely take a chunk out of your share of the pie too...

This is a masterclass on how to fuck up a server launch. Your best bet was to offer something different from everyone else; instead, you open a server with a meta that came straight out of 2013 SAMP. No one wants to grind 40 hours of fishing just so they can RP what they actually want. You guys have done nothing innovative or interesting with this concept despite some of you having more than a decade of experience in GTA RP, and it's really disappointing. It's like you were banking on riding the wave of SAMP nostalgia and GTA W hate to establish your community. Now you're stuck trying to make a PB of 150 W rejects and ban evaders somehow "work".

Judging from mmartin's sarcastic responses and constant deflection, it doesn't sound like you guys are smart enough to take the criticism to heart. Good luck.

• Clap 2
  • Thumbs 2

4 hours ago, buddyguy said:

I won't comment on the GTA 5 RP marketplace and target audience concerns, and I agree in spirit with many points you made but there are two obvious logical fallacies:

1) 

No one wants to grind 40 hours of fishing just so they can RP what they actually want.

We have enough data from SAMP to know how ”just so they can RP what they actually want.” works when there's an overabundance of money. There is endless evidence but I'll use one example from my immediate area of expertise: bookmaking in organized crime. I know plenty people who wanted to roleplay bookmakers. They had money (often not earned through roleplay) and they started a bookmaking operation they had made zero research for. I'm talking about people who don't know the absolute basics of balancing books or how margins and odds work. They could go around running betting shops, and roleplay hotshot bookmakers because they had money. They would rather never make a profit than actually learn how bookmaking really works. 

I hate to be blunt with you but if you don't think it breaks immersion for others, and that there's no learning curve necessary then we have very different views on quality roleplay.

When money is scarce, it forces people to learn. Learning results in improvement. Improvement in anything from understanding how the real world works and roleplaying skills to English proficiency.

Now, on that note, I think more factions should be new player friendly, and mentor them instead of rejecting them based on lack of experience. And the whole server should facilitate learning and progress (however not babysit them). Overprotectiveness keeps new players from engaging in situations restricting the opportunities to build connections and learn necessary skills. Similarly, as @Mmartin mentioned, we shouldn't encourage instant gratification. I only need one quote to sum it up and it is this: don't wish it was easier wish you were better.

You don't need to grind fishing to roleplay what you want. I'll be completely transparent here: I started a bookmaking operation with $1,000. I started a private protection firm with no money invested. Be resourceful and put time and effort into achieving your goals through organic development. Don't think you should be entitled to have the hottest and best dance club in LS because ”that's what you want to roleplay.” Build up to becoming one.

2) 

It's like you were banking on riding the wave of SAMP nostalgia and GTA W hate to establish your community. Now you're stuck trying to make a PB of 150 W rejects and ban evaders somehow "work".

Judging from Mmartin's sarcastic responses and constant deflection, it doesn't sound like you guys are smart enough to take the criticism to heart. Good luck.

There is some truth to riding the wave of SAMP nostalgia and I'll admit I was critical of LSRP management in the past but if you don't respect them trying (which they are in my opinion) then I would say your judgment is clouded by hatred. 

Now, there are two competing text roleplay servers and a third is to launch but I personally see no need for conflict. Everyone roleplays where they have fun roleplaying, and saying LSRP is a server of players rejected from or banned in World is a very rigid and ungenerous perspective on the community here. Most players I personally know — and frankly I don't know many since most if not all my old friends have quit because there has been no high-quality roleplay server to roleplay in for the past few years — never saw World as a serious roleplay server. I don't deny it's a popular server and I wholeheartedly believe people should be having fun so I have no reason to hate on World whatsoever. It's simply that my view on roleplay is very different from the average player base there. Does LSRP match my view on roleplay? That's debatable but it's the best I got to work with, and I don't doubt it'll get better with time.

Personally, I had no expectations for LSRP V. I don't expect it to be anywhere near peak LSRP SAMP. I may have roleplayed for 10+ years but I went back to starting from scratch and I absolutely love it. To each their own.

• Clap 1

On 7/4/2023 at 9:54 AM, Giovanni_Sgroi said:

I roleplayed in Habbo, SAMP, and MTA, and joined LSRP in 2007 when I was 12. I'm 27 now and I'll be completely honest, the primitive script and me being new to V makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. 

Contrary to popular opinion, the current economy is by far the best thing to happen to LSRP. Money is scarce. Money has value. People are actually putting time and effort into earning, and aren't breaking immersion by roleplaying operations they don't understand simply because they have the money to finance it. SAMP was absolutely unplayable toward the end because money was abundant and nobody cared if they tipped the bartender $1,000, $20,000, or if their bookmaking operation operated at a constant loss. How are you supposed to roleplay criminal or entrepreneurial characters when there is no fun in competing for the dollar?

Now, if your business, operation, or scheme is unprofitable, it forces you to learn.

There's a very obvious learning curve: if you are new to roleplay, grind script jobs until you learn to earn through roleplay, or join a faction and learn from more experienced roleplayers. There are no shortcuts or get-rich-quick schemes, and people aren't treating the game as an MMORPG.

Frankly, I love it and, for the sake of immersion, please don't allow savings or bank interest to hyperinflate the economy like SAMP. It breaks immersion on so many levels.

scarcity of wealth and assets might be realistic buts its anti roleplay and that's what people are complaining about. you shouldnt have to build up a character for years to roleplay middle class or rich, and not every character needs to start from scratch n have a miraculous zero to hero story. this very system promotes mmorpg behavior because youre normalizing everything to real life instead of just giving players tools to facilitate roleplay effectively

id argue that mid to late samp lsrp was the best quality rp we ever had. yes bartenders got 10k an hour and strippers got 60, but at least there were an abundance of businesses and opportunities to grow your character instead of grinding for money (which is essentially just an OOC tool so u can setup prerequisites for basic rp)

everything here is limited thru copious amounts of boilerplate and its tiring. by the time uve gone thru the applications to get something basic up and running uve lost all interest bcs theres a ridiculous amount of bureaucracy. bureaucracy that leads to inadvertent bias and favoritism. team leaders can claim this shit doesnt exist but the server launched with admins and testers being the primary owners of valuable businesses lol

and yea world's economy sucks but in 2 days u can get the car u want, roleplay the character u want, and have a business up and running within a week. is it such an awful thing that you get to prioritise developing and roleplaying your character instead of worrying about rp assets?

the shit is becoming tarkov where fun is lost at the expense of hyper realism. people wanted world without weirdo admins and awful illegal rp but the server doubled down on restricting roelplay under the guise of realism instead of tackling those core issues. the scripts are crazy nice, the admins are way better and everything is way more fluid but plz reverse the direction ur going (imo)

Edited by trashstar

grinding for assets might be realistic, we're all on the daily grind, but we're here to roleplay.

having a large populous grind out trucking, fishing, mowing, etc. isn't good for the roleplay environment. purple text is more valuable than people trying to finance an apartment or vehicle.

assets (vehicles, houses, businesses, etc.) keep people on servers. walking around with 20m only hindered people who had nothing to provide in the first place on old ls-rp. anyone else rped within their character's realistic budget using their assets as necessary to achieve their character.

tl;dr assets should be considered to an extent. not everyone who only logs in once a month needs a house, not everyone should be in a sports car, nor should people above their means ic be committing crimes that would be unrealistic, but i think the focus on the grind is a mistake that will be a problem in the longrun.

being too strict on the economy only leads to an rpg like feel. just my two cent.

its a hard balancing act and some people do abuse a broken economy. but balance here is key.

^tcp

28 minutes ago, trashstar said:

We are polar opposites in that sense.

Your idea of roleplay is that money is an OOC tool and you should have everything you need to create the character and roleplay environment you want.

My idea of roleplay is that a realistic economy is part of realistic roleplay, and there's natural selection regarding who succeeds in achieving their goals of what they want to roleplay and who doesn't. For those who don't there's a learning curve.

What good is your dream car if you didn't work for it and can have any car you want? What good is your business if it's unprofitable because you don't know how to run it properly?

My idea of organic development is that you get what you work for. I want to be able to say, "I have a nice car most people don't. I live in a house most people can't afford. I run such and such business. You know why? Because I earned them. I worked for them. I beat the competition." 

I will get backlash for this but most of you complaining about grinding script jobs are the very people who don't know how to earn through roleplay, and won't learn, and just want to get things for free so you could roleplay things you don't understand. If you understood how they worked you would be able to earn through them in the first place.

And I'm not going to sit here and pretend like everything that works in real life works here. That's why you have to adapt and overcome. Learn. Do research. Try out things. Struggle. Fail. It makes reaching the finish line all the more enjoyable. 

Otherwise what? Roleplay a career criminal in an utopian paradise where I can make money hand over fist, and never have any money problems? How could anyone realistically roleplay a criminal character when money is abundant, when crime is motivated by money? Make it make sense. 

26 minutes ago, Giovanni_Sgroi said:

We are polar opposites in that sense.

Your idea of roleplay is that money is an OOC tool and you should have everything you need to create the character and roleplay environment you want.

My idea of roleplay is that a realistic economy is part of realistic roleplay, and there's natural selection regarding who succeeds in achieving their goals of what they want to roleplay and who doesn't. For those who don't there's a learning curve.

What good is your dream car if you didn't work for it and can have any car you want? What good is your business if it's unprofitable because you don't know how to run it properly?

My idea of organic development is that you get what you work for. I want to be able to say, "I have a nice car most people don't. I live in a house most people can't afford. I run such and such business. You know why? Because I earned them. I worked for them. I beat the competition." 

I will get backlash for this but most of you complaining about grinding script jobs are the very people who don't know how to earn through roleplay, and won't learn, and just want to get things for free so you could roleplay things you don't understand. If you understood how they worked you would be able to earn through them in the first place.

And I'm not going to sit here and pretend like everything that works in real life works here. That's why you have to adapt and overcome. Learn. Do research. Try out things. Struggle. Fail. It makes reaching the finish line all the more enjoyable. 

Otherwise what? Roleplay a career criminal in an utopian paradise where I can make money hand over fist, and never have any money problems? How could anyone realistically roleplay a criminal character when money is abundant, when crime is motivated by money? Make it make sense. 

bcs people have the ability to separate IG wealth from OOC wealth lol. its way more authentic to roleplay having money issues then to actually have money issues scriptwise and be fucked the entire time. people are more than capable of rping poor or gang rp wouldnt be the primary medium for rp

no we just prefer the freedom to portray our characters without an absurd time investment lol?? uve pointed out how much of a sick rper u are in every post uve made it has to be satire at this point. i dont wanna have to go thru a rigorous application or spend weeks accumulating wealth just to rp working in my dad's shitty chinese takeout its a pretty simple concept to understand

and not everyone is a fresh off the boat poor person who has to earn and work their way through los santos. you're treating this shit like its gotham city lol let me rp a fashion mogul, let me quickly get a business so i can rp giving people food poisoning from chinese food, let me rp being a limo driver without spending 100k or whatever it is. people switch characters and try new things all the time and your way of doing things stunts creativity 

power in criminal enterprise should be earned through providing engaging rp. engaging rp that propels u into prominent positions because people want to be involved in ur dope rp. shouldnt be a competition on who read the most accounting books OOC

Edited by trashstar
  • Strong 1

So I don't too many issues with the economy, the money you get for the first few levels is enough to allow you to finance a vehicle and get a place to rent, with enough left over, over time to play around with. With 1.1 adding that same income to all levels but at a reduced rate, there's at least that security net that you'll be getting a little income no matter what you're doing with your time. I think it's a good step without sacrificing the economy model where things that don't need to be are costing hundreds or thousands.

With regards to the script, I am a bit concerned on some of the key features that it's lacking, and wonder what state the script was in last year when things were originally going to launch. That said it's obvious there's very skilled members on the team; the phone script is sleek as all hell and 'just works' in a really nice way for the most part. I also recognize we're less than a  month into launch and things will be coming as time goes on - I just hope that LSRP is able to catch up with the vital QoL features other servers may have that players have come to expect to have available.

• Thumbs 1