Faction Name: The West Coast Delegation

Faction Thread Link: 

What type of organization is your faction?: OCG

Provide a list of participating faction members:

Jackson Tagliabue

Vincent Ruffino

Anthony Andriola

Describe your scenario and your plan:

Jackson Tagliabue, alongside his partner Vincent Ruffino, decided to try their luck and place skimmers around Los Santos and its outskirts in an attempt to further their reach into the world of cybercrimes. However, after a failed attempt, Jackson caught up to the fact that because of the invention of the EMV card technology, the skimmers became obsolete and thus he needed to adapt to a new technology that combats whatever the authorities put together.

The card "shimmer", also known as an EMV shimmer, is a device used for illegal card skimming but, unlike the traditional card skimmers that target the magnetic stripe on the payment cards, these shimmers are designed to target the EMV chip directly on chip-enabled cards. In comparison to the skimmers, the shimmers are much more thinner, card-sized devices that are inserted into the card slot of an ATM and it allows the interception of the data exchanged during an exchange. Shortly put, they can bypass the security methods of 2023 to allow the continuation of the modern, popular scheme known as card skimming.

After Samuel DeLucca, a mob inducted individual, sorted out a meeting between Jackson, Anthony and Vincent, the trio decided to partner up in order for Tony and Vinny to handle the street logistics, such as finding spots to rent and turn into count houses and "laboratories", getting burner phones, scoping out the right ATMs to put the shimmers in and the installation of the devices, and for Jackson to handle the technological part, such as getting and setting up the shimmers with the right software, pulling out the card data, extracting the money and, in the process, cleaning it so it can be used by the group with minimum to no risk of detection.

The shimmers will be, at first, purchased in very limited amounts off the dark web using a TOR secured approach and BitCoin, but will later on be manufactured via a DIY method if Jackson will be able to figure out the way they're made using reverse engineering on one of them, and if he'll be able to find and purchase all the needed electric parts (the PCBs, the microcontrollers, the interfacing components, the data interception, the storage and the power source).

At the moment, the trio don't have a great way of getting the cash to be usable, but that will prove to be a challenge to be handled IC and thus the possibility for collaboration with other entities might arise.

Are you requesting money or items? Money

TOR is just a tool used to access the dark web in a secure fashion in order to purchase the initial shimmers; we plan on buying two to start with.

The shimmers will be sent to us via mail (a package) and since there's no 100% safe way to do it, we'll have to rely on whether the vendor is trustworthy, which we'll do our best to find one that is. If he's not, we'll just lose some money.

One device will be used for testing purposes, to see if the shimmer itself works on an ATM and if it can combat the EMV tech, and on one Jackson will attempt a reverse engineering job to figure out how their parts function and how the "mechanical" part works.

The parts themselved will be purcashed either from player-ran electronic stores, or NPC ones if no players RP selling them.

The parts are legal to acquire so it wouldn't be impossible, but we'll get each of them from multiple sources as to not create a clear pattern.

If, for whatever reason, Jackson fails in manufacturing the devices himself later on, then he'll have to rely on the dark web to purchase more until he finds a better way of acquiring them, but that's an IC issue.

The DEV is and will be documented on my character's thread too: 

Edited by Jackson Tagliabue

Either we (us & the FT or us & the police forces) work a decent risk factor in to please the scheme's requirements, or we take into account the following statements:

1. Even if we get the devices off the dark web using TOR or craft them ourselves, these methods of getting them are not 100% secured because the cops can always stop us for a routine check or whatever and find the skimmers on us when we bring them to our "lab", or have their IT guys look really hard into it, but I doubt anybody really does that unless we're talking about enormous amounts of cash.

2. If we RP skimming too much off the cards, or do the scheme in a way that attracts too much attention, the police can get on us in no time and investigate until we're caught if we don't stay one step ahead.

3. If we end up trying to place the shimmers and we get caught in the process, we're done for.

4. Someone can rat, or do things that bring heat to the scheme.

There are a lot of risks involved, but it's up to the police to RP investigating into it or have luck and catch us bcz we'll definitely not dumb down on purpose just so there's a higher risk chance.

Fine by me, but is there a way not to do it "passively"? And what other risks can there be? I'm down for whatever.

World has a script that supports skimmers, although it needs updating because basic skimming isn't a thing anymore as I've explained.

If we get something like this in the future as a script, that'd be great, but in the server's current state there's not much the playerbase can do.

Where should I post the screenshots of RP and what monetary rewards are we thinking here? Also, the screenshots should be basic ones, with all text included, or edited ones for the DEV thread work too?

8 hours ago, Jackson Tagliabue said:

Fine by me, but is there a way not to do it "passively"? And what other risks can there be? I'm down for whatever.

World has a script that supports skimmers, although it needs updating because basic skimming isn't a thing anymore as I've explained.

If we get something like this in the future as a script, that'd be great, but in the server's current state there's not much the playerbase can do.

Where should I post the screenshots of RP and what monetary rewards are we thinking here? Also, the screenshots should be basic ones, with all text included, or edited ones for the DEV thread work too?

We don't have a skimmer or fraud system yet nor a police team that actively pursues this kind of roleplay. If you want a higher reward, you'd have to do something that brings a risk with the current economy and situation. For example, robbing a store brings more risk, etc. The passive rp is for people who want to roleplay something where they can't bring any risk

• 2 weeks later...

lVjiuTe.png

8tv7PgK.png

We're in the process of reverse engineering one of the shimmers we got off the DarkNet for future "DIY" manufacturing while my character is waiting on Vincent and Anthony to install the other one for testing purposes.

There's no cash to be rewarded as of now, we're still in the prep stage.

KgJ7hdG.png

EwxueZi.png

-

zZ6rFG6.png

nsOfrEQ.png

tRtADkb.png

Anthony Andriola's POV: 

One of the shimmers have been placed and the other one was reverse engineered and tinkered with so Jack can see whether he'll be able to teach himself how to build shimmers without having to rely on the DarkNet to purchase them.

SOlgnI6.png

At the moment, there's no payout to be given by the staff. I'll update the thread soon with what we think would be a fair amount for us to get. Based on that, you can make your own calculations and come up with the sum we'll end up receiving.

• 1 month later...