Elevating the LS-RP GTA V Experience

LS-RP is back, and it's definitely exciting and fun. However, if we're honest with ourselves, does it feel entirely new? As some of us old LS-RP players turned to other GTA 5 roleplay servers during the downtime, we may have realized that our experiences there didn't quite measure up to the memories we made on SA-MP. But let's not attribute the lack of joy solely to those servers not being LS-RP. The truth is, it's because they weren't San Andreas.

Sure, our time back on LS-RP since its reopening has been great, especially reconnecting with old faces and friends, but we have to acknowledge that this feeling won't last long. The reality is that not much feels as enjoyable as it used to on LS-RP. 

We need something new, something that elevates this server and offers a different experience compared to both SA-MP's LS-RP and other GTA 5 roleplay servers. And it's not just about being different; it has to be better.

I have a suggestion that could truly revolutionize our roleplay: implementing permanent character deaths upon dying with your character. Take a moment to consider the immense impact this would have on the server. It would completely transform the dynamics of our roleplay, from gang interactions to government affairs. I believe it would make the experience much more immersive and enjoyable. Rather than delving into lengthy paragraphs about the intricacies of implementing such a system and addressing its potential flaws, I'm genuinely curious to hear what the community thinks after contemplating its impact.

Looking forward to hearing your perspectives on the idea of permanent deaths (obviously the deaths would still have to be reasonable, and abide by the rules)

Edited by For All The Dogs
  • Love 1

Fuck it, here's my take on how this could impact the server anyway. With the risk of permanent character death, every interaction and decision takes on a new level of significance. Players will become more invested in their characters' well-being, leading to richer and more emotionally charged storytelling. High-stakes situations, such as intense drama across characters, pursuits, or gang wars, will become truly adrenaline-pumping experiences, pushing players to think strategically and carefully about their actions. The fear of losing a character forever will motivate players to invest more time and effort into crafting complex and multi-dimensional personas. As characters grow and evolve, players will have a stronger sense of attachment to them, fostering deeper connections within the roleplaying community.

Actions will have genuine repercussions. Instead of the usual respawn and resume mentality, players will have to confront the lasting consequences of their choices. This shift will encourage more thoughtful decision-making, promoting engaging and realistic roleplay scenarios. Permanent character death will necessitate players to think beyond the immediate moment and consider the long-term impact of their characters' actions. Storylines will naturally develop into epic sagas, as characters' legacies continue even after their demise, leaving lasting imprints on the server's narrative.

The introduction of permanent character deaths will open up a whole new realm of roleplay opportunities. Mourning ceremonies, funerals, and tributes for fallen characters can become powerful and emotionally resonant events that bring the community together. With the risk of death, players will be more encouraged to explore new and diverse character concepts. This diversity will breathe life into the server, making the roleplay environment more vibrant and engaging.

As players grapple with the concept of permanent death, the server will see an increase in various styles of roleplay. Some players may opt for cautious and risk-averse characters, while others might embrace daring and adventurous personas, leading to a dynamic and multifaceted roleplay experience.

• Love 1

If I can sum up my thoughts on this in a sentence - It's a great idea that isn't going to happen.

I essentially hail from places like this. Some good 10 years ago there were popular and populated private world of warcraft servers that were dedicated solely for role playing within the universe (prologue, legacy, wake and etc) It was honestly a much better platform than SAMP.

Most of the WoW mechanics as you know them were obsolete and unused. It was all designed for role playing and storytelling in mind. We had great things like dedicated teams of Dungeon Masters and the world around you was legitimately shaped by in-character events. Think about a couple of actual months of a DND esque in-character campaign in Northrend to kill the Lich King, and the world actually changed during it. Stuff was destroyed, stuff was built. Your progression was mapped in.

These kinds of servers, for the most part, had that hardcore design philosophy that you speak of. If you die over the course of role play (granted everyone involved adheres to rules, standards, roleplaying fundamentals and etc) then you are dead. Your character is no more.

Honestly? My fondest role playing memories are from there. The roleplaying quality overall was ten times better than 99% of what GTA ever had to offer. The level of detail and effort put into concepts was next level. Most importantly, in-character behavior was extremely immersive and realistic, few people were going around doing stupid stuff, because there were actual consequences. The fuck around and find out policy applied in full effect. That created amazing roleplaying depth and quality, but the community obviously was also toxic and elitist.

I'm not going to go into the pros and cons of such a system, every kind of design philosophy - whether ours or the one we speak of has these.

The point is - that kind of thing is very niche, exclusive and borderline elitist. This has never been GTA's demographic and these topics usually spiral into a fun v. realism debate, where most people will advocate that they don't want realism to the point where one wrong move can end their heavily invested into character. They want to have fun. The elitists will say that the real fun in role playing is when you do it hardcore. Neither side is wrong.

All in all, again - this is a great idea that will not happen as the majority of GTA RP playerbase does not want an experience as hardcore as this. Which saddens me, but oh well.

To add some uncomfortable truths, LSRP has lowered its standards as of 10 years ago as well. Obviously most of the old role players and concepts have improved and gotten better for a decade, but in general - I remember when "not fit for LSRP" bans were flying hourly. Nowadays you have to /really/ go full retard to deserve this.

If I can offer a middle ground, I would propose:

- More accessible CK applications/mechanisms.

- Actually functioning role play quality team. Basically an administrative team that can slap players across the wrists, even when they aren't necessarily breaking some set in stone rules like metagaming. E.g. A billionaire who drives a rented taxi "for fun". May not be the best example and people will play devil's advocate for that one, but you get the point.

EDIT: For all it is worth - I whole heartedly support this.

Edited by SCANDALOUZ
  • Clap 1
  • Thumbs 1
  • Love 1

r5LprBu.png624c1822117a4.png

On 7/3/2023 at 1:54 PM, SCANDALOUZ said:

If I can sum up my thoughts on this in a sentence - It's a great idea that isn't going to happen.

I essentially hail from places like this. Some good 10 years ago there were popular and populated private world of warcraft servers that were dedicated solely for role playing within the universe (prologue, legacy, wake and etc) It was honestly a much better platform than SAMP.

Most of the WoW mechanics as you know them were obsolete and unused. It was all designed for role playing and storytelling in mind. We had great things like dedicated teams of Dungeon Masters and the world around you was legitimately shaped by in-character events. Think about a couple of actual months of a DND esque in-character campaign in Northrend to kill the Lich King, and the world actually changed during it. Stuff was destroyed, stuff was built. Your progression was mapped in.

These kinds of servers, for the most part, had that hardcore design philosophy that you speak of. If you die over the course of role play (granted everyone involved adheres to rules, standards, roleplaying fundamentals and etc) then you are dead. Your character is no more.

Honestly? My fondest role playing memories are from there. The roleplaying quality overall was ten times better than 99% of what GTA ever had to offer. The level of detail and effort put into concepts was next level. Most importantly, in-character behavior was extremely immersive and realistic, few people were going around doing stupid stuff, because there were actual consequences. The fuck around and find out policy applied in full effect. That created amazing roleplaying depth and quality, but the community obviously was also toxic and elitist.

I'm not going to go into the pros and cons of such a system, every kind of design philosophy - whether ours or the one we speak of has these.

The point is - that kind of thing is very niche, exclusive and borderline elitist. This has never been GTA's demographic and these topics usually spiral into a fun v. realism debate, where most people will advocate that they don't want realism to the point where one wrong move can end their heavily invested into character. They want to have fun. The elitists will say that the real fun in role playing is when you do it hardcore. Neither side is wrong.

All in all, again - this is a great idea that will not happen as the majority of GTA RP playerbase does not want an experience as hardcore as this. Which saddens me, but oh well.

To add some uncomfortable truths, LSRP has lowered its standards as of 10 years ago as well. Obviously most of the old role players and concepts have improved and gotten better for a decade, but in general - I remember when "not fit for LSRP" bans were flying hourly. Nowadays you have to /really/ go full retard to deserve this.

If I can offer a middle ground, I would propose:

- More accessible CK applications/mechanisms.

- Actually functioning role play quality team. Basically an administrative team that can slap players across the wrists, even when they aren't necessarily breaking some set in stone rules like metagaming. E.g. A billionaire who drives a rented taxi "for fun". May not be the best example and people will play devil's advocate for that one, but you get the point.

EDIT: For all it is worth - I whole heartedly support this.

Heard. I do strongly believe, though, that it could enhance the overall enjoyment and engagement for a broader range of players. By introducing consequences that carry weight and meaning, players will experience a heightened sense of adrenaline and immersion. This would inevitably make the roleplaying experience more thrilling and meaningful, appealing to a wider range of players who seek a deeper level of engagement and a sense of accomplishment.

I do not think the implementation of this would necessarily exclude the notion of having fun. I believe it would push and enhance the fun factor by adding a layer of excitement and urgency to the gameplay. Knowing that your character's choices and actions have long-lasting consequences can create intense and thrilling moments, where every decision matters. This dynamic element can inject a sense of excitement and challenge into the roleplaying experience, elevating it beyond mere entertainment and transforming it into a truly immersive and unforgettable adventure.

But, perhaps such system would call for certain restrictions. Those are what I would love to see discussed in this thread. Perhaps this system would only apply for characters beyond a certain level? Perhaps it would not apply to LSPD? I don't know.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, For All The Dogs said:

Heard. I do strongly believe, though, that it could enhance the overall enjoyment and engagement for a broader range of players. By introducing consequences that carry weight and meaning, players will experience a heightened sense of adrenaline and immersion. This would inevitably make the roleplaying experience more thrilling and meaningful, appealing to a wider range of players who seek a deeper level of engagement and a sense of accomplishment.

I do not think the implementation of this would necessarily exclude the notion of having fun. I believe it would push and enhance the fun factor by adding a layer of excitement and urgency to the gameplay. Knowing that your character's choices and actions have long-lasting consequences can create intense and thrilling moments, where every decision matters. This dynamic element can inject a sense of excitement and challenge into the roleplaying experience, elevating it beyond mere entertainment and transforming it into a truly immersive and unforgettable adventure.

But, perhaps such system would call for certain restrictions. Those are what I would love to see discussed in this thread. Perhaps this system would only apply for characters beyond a certain level? Perhaps it would not apply to LSPD? I don't know.

But I do think, that it is something like this we will need to see on LS-RP for the server to keep a player base above 100 by October and beyond.

The main problem is that, unlike some other platforms - GTA RP servers feature /a lot/ of RPG elements to grind towards.

Say, back in WoW, we still had systems and all, but that was nearly not as focused on as it is on GTA. Most of the stuff was easily accessible and you could do whatever you want from the get-go as opposed having to first have 5M in the bank to execute/portray it.

There's simple solutions like keeping your assets, albeit losing your character, which aren't ideal - but that's not the point.

The point is that you're overestimating the general public, most of whom do not see roleplaying as a collective storytelling exercise, but rather a virtual world they want to be on top of. There is a lot of playing to win, a lot of main character syndromes and what-not. This has created an OOC culture where people want to put in the work, so they can be able to flex about it. The whole "storytelling" element has taken a backseat (in general, theres GREAT FACTIONS) years ago.

Edit: Personally, I get you completely, and I agree with every single point you made for this. The unfortunate reality is that the majority of the playerbase historically has not liked this, and LSRP management after all wants the place to be populated as opposed to 20 elitists hanging around and watching each other's every step.

Edited by SCANDALOUZ
  • Thumbs 2

r5LprBu.png624c1822117a4.png

Theoretically, this is a great idea. Practically, it won't work... at the end of the day, this is a video game. Trying to mimic even one aspect of real life in a video game doesn't work if there aren't other things complimenting it. Example, the driving system, you basically have an almost identical DMV system, with a written test, and a driving test. Which players don't even follow after they get their license, nobody's driving within the speed limit or stopping at intersections for 3 seconds or even driving like you would in real life. 

SAMP LSRP was almost perfect in its unique way, because it didn't try to be exactly like real life. 

Trying to make a video game mimic real life to a T becomes a chore for both the players and management.

• 3 months later...

Bump bc this is more relevant than ever with a bunch of "hardcore" games gaining traction recently. We need a RP server with permanent deaths. This would increase the player base significantly and completely change the dynamic of GTA Roleplay.

To those above saying it would not work to implement such a thing - no,no ... it could work.

• Love 1

There's nothing wrong with a CK only server to roleplayers who have a more archaic understanding of roleplay.  And we can sit here and try to convince the new roleplayers that this is way roleplay works, and has worked for a while, but the ones who are new will be intimidated by it.  And while it was never in the hands of the archaic roleplayer to harden up the new roleplayers, the new roleplayers will now be forced to look at what they see roleplay as.  And then boom, they quit.

I am all for CKs.  Don't get me wrong here.  The reason why it seems like I'm in the middle right now is because I see the new way people do things and trust me, it breaks my heart sometimes.  But the standards were not set as early as they could've been.  Something like this requires a community vote not hosted by the players, but by the server owner.

Because CK only servers only cater to the archaic roleplayers like us.  But to the new roleplayers, what's stopping them from just playing GTA online where you can shoot whoever you want all day and just come right back to what you were doing?  Hell, you can even go shoot them again.  And again.  And again.  So for us to split hairs right here, point out how PKs split universes, point out how rulebreakers are the blight of RP and ruin motivation, all we're doing is demotivating ourselves until staff does something about it.

Take what we have right now with a grain of salt and figure out how to implement the more fun ways of archaic RP.

Right now, the server's in a critical time.  Looking for players.  Trying to market.  Trying to expand.  Meanwhile, you got factions going to war for actually RPd reasons, and then you got guys just roaming around, shooting people up and logging off two seconds later.

What we can take from all this is, don't let there be a double standard in RP.  Just pick what we want and go with it.

@For All The Dogs Drop all your beliefs and hope. Take a look at this thread that I made which literally designed a perfect system through which we could all flourish as roleplayers. 

It won’t ever work. Take a look at the poll and the abrupt unwarranted L&A that took place. This should tell you just how much the community hates this idea. They’ll keep bringing up namechanges. Why would you pay in order to namechange? Why would you pay for a character slot? Make the maximum character slot ten (10) and allow people to “freeze” their characters on the UCP so that they can “free” a spot once their slots are filled up. 

Oh, what, sorry, is that too radical? Is this a business or a passion project? I don’t see Management paying their bills with people buying VIP and all the features. Staff members are voluntary applicants - nobody gets paid a dime. So, why wouldn’t we remove the whole concept of having to “pay” for a namechange? 

Now that that’s out of the way, the “it’s a video game!” part comes in. As I’ve said a thousand times, people don’t share the same ideologies as the few of us who have to beg for permanent deaths do. The staff will always cater to the people who don’t want to take this server too serious and would rather repeatedly die and respawn like it’s a first person shooter and not a “heavy” roleplay server.

People are going to absolutely hate me because I’m transparent and passionate about the implementation of more realistic rules, but I guess that’s a burden I’ll have to carry on my back for the rest of my roleplaying experience. You can’t win in these situations. 

15 hours ago, MoneybagsCarminati said:

There's nothing wrong with a CK only server to roleplayers who have a more archaic understanding of roleplay.  And we can sit here and try to convince the new roleplayers that this is way roleplay works, and has worked for a while, but the ones who are new will be intimidated by it.  And while it was never in the hands of the archaic roleplayer to harden up the new roleplayers, the new roleplayers will now be forced to look at what they see roleplay as.  And then boom, they quit.

I am all for CKs.  Don't get me wrong here.  The reason why it seems like I'm in the middle right now is because I see the new way people do things and trust me, it breaks my heart sometimes.  But the standards were not set as early as they could've been.  Something like this requires a community vote not hosted by the players, but by the server owner.

Because CK only servers only cater to the archaic roleplayers like us.  But to the new roleplayers, what's stopping them from just playing GTA online where you can shoot whoever you want all day and just come right back to what you were doing?  Hell, you can even go shoot them again.  And again.  And again.  So for us to split hairs right here, point out how PKs split universes, point out how rulebreakers are the blight of RP and ruin motivation, all we're doing is demotivating ourselves until staff does something about it.

Take what we have right now with a grain of salt and figure out how to implement the more fun ways of archaic RP.

Right now, the server's in a critical time.  Looking for players.  Trying to market.  Trying to expand.  Meanwhile, you got factions going to war for actually RPd reasons, and then you got guys just roaming around, shooting people up and logging off two seconds later.

What we can take from all this is, don't let there be a double standard in RP.  Just pick what we want and go with it.

Almost everyone replying in this thread looks at the implementation of permanent deaths as this path to a super heavy, serious, your life depends on it-ish, crazy game version only for seasoned prime-time roleplayers who dedicate their all to roleplaying.

But ... why? A permanent death version would be no less appealing to somebody completely new who'd never roleplayed before. If not even more appealing than the standard version you see across all other popular servers. It would significantly stand out to also gain the curious playerbase that find themselves intrigued of the intricacies that would follow such a version in which you die permanently when you die. Whether you're hit by a car and fall to 0 HP because you're running on the road, you mistakenly jump off a roof, you're shot to death as a bystander of a shootout, etc.. - this would not only call for serious, seasoned "heavy" roleplayers. I think that is a complete fallacy.

This would completely change the direction of LS-RP for the better and if management as well as our player base is not willing to take risks like this, to try something new and fresh, there is no way it will go anywhere. Marketing the server on twitter, tik tok, etc... welp, I think we all know where that'll go. Absolutely nowhere else than where we are right now. Does not matter if  they keep developing new exciting /furnish features or business scripts for the next 10 years. It will take us absolutely nowhere in terms of gaining playerbase.

On 11/3/2023 at 1:14 PM, For All The Dogs said:

Almost everyone replying in this thread looks at the implementation of permanent deaths as this path to a super heavy, serious, your life depends on it-ish, crazy game version only for seasoned prime-time roleplayers who dedicate their all to roleplaying.

But ... why? A permanent death version would be no less appealing to somebody completely new who'd never roleplayed before. If not even more appealing than the standard version you see across all other popular servers. It would significantly stand out to also gain the curious playerbase that find themselves intrigued of the intricacies that would follow such a version in which you die permanently when you die. Whether you're hit by a car and fall to 0 HP because you're running on the road, you mistakenly jump off a roof, you're shot to death as a bystander of a shootout, etc.. - this would not only call for serious, seasoned "heavy" roleplayers. I think that is a complete fallacy.

This would completely change the direction of LS-RP for the better and if management as well as our player base is not willing to take risks like this, to try something new and fresh, there is no way it will go anywhere. Marketing the server on twitter, tik tok, etc... welp, I think we all know where that'll go. Absolutely nowhere else than where we are right now. Does not matter if  they keep developing new exciting /furnish features or business scripts for the next 10 years. It will take us absolutely nowhere in terms of gaining playerbase.

damn ur schizo levels of delusional if you think this is how permadeath would playout