How can we make illegal RP better?

springie

I agree with the consensus but I think it should be much more than just playing illegal characters. Mostly because anybody can make an illegal character, anybody can throw up a thread, garner some support and use it as a justification. There should be mountains of experience, seasoning and understanding of the bracket other than "I've had this character, and that character." I don't want to say members are role models because they're definitely not but they should definitely lead by example. Not only their knowledge and understanding of the genre, but their roleplay should also stand out from the horde.

I don't want to see legal roleplayers in faction management. I don't want to see inexperienced illegal roleplayers in faction management. Everyone should be tried and proven with successful characters or factions behind them, making it a case of "we must practice what we preach." If it becomes institutionalized by legal roleplayers or roleplayers because they're "modders" or "staff" then the house of cards falls apart and everyone calls it quits. The selling point of this server is its promise to the illegal community and without that, most of us lose interest. So far we've seen very little, heard very little and know very little.

We know that there's pre-launch supplier applications but other than that, we're in the dark for the most part. More communication should be a priority considering we're 23 days out and even the turnaround times for them aren't looking great. We should be doing all we can to make sure factions hit the ground running so that it helps their longevity long after launch. Businesses, for one. Otherwise we'll all be roleplaying in public parks and alleyways. Another thing to consider is that we'll all most likely be vying for the same territory so this disorganization will cause a mass amount of factions who are gunning for the same spot to bump heads almost instantly.

I've been a little disappointed in the lead-up to launch in terms of communication and being clued in. Not in terms of management or development who are extremely busy and focused on the actual activation of the server but to those who have been entrusted with the functionality of the server itself after launch. As someone who's going to be leading one of the server's biggest factions and one of the longest standing ones, I feel that we're left somewhat in the lurch by multiple departments who should already have all of this done by now.

Edited by Chuckles
  • Thumbs 8
  • Strong 1

5 hours ago, Chuckles said:

I agree with the consensus but I think it should be much more than just playing illegal characters. Mostly because anybody can make an illegal character, anybody can throw up a thread, garner some support and use it as a justification. There should be mountains of experience, seasoning and understanding of the bracket other than "I've had this character, and that character." I don't want to say members are role models because they're definitely not but they should definitely lead by example. Not only their knowledge and understanding of the genre, but their roleplay should also stand out from the horde.

I don't want to see legal roleplayers in faction management. I don't want to see inexperienced illegal roleplayers in faction management. Everyone should be tried and proven with successful characters or factions behind them, making it a case of "we must practice what we preach." If it becomes institutionalized by legal roleplayers or roleplayers because they're "modders" or "staff" then the house of cards falls apart and everyone calls it quits. The selling point of this server is its promise to the illegal community and without that, most of us lose interest. So far we've seen very little, heard very little and know very little.

We know that there's pre-launch supplier applications but other than that, we're in the dark for the most part. More communication should be a priority considering we're 23 days out and even the turnaround times for them aren't looking great. We should be doing all we can to make sure factions hit the ground running so that it helps their longevity long after launch. Businesses, for one. Otherwise we'll all be roleplaying in public parks and alleyways. Another thing to consider is that we'll all most likely be vying for the same territory so this disorganization will cause a mass amount of factions who are gunning for the same spot to bump heads almost instantly.

I've been a little disappointed in the lead-up to launch in terms of communication and being clued in. Not in terms of management or development who are extremely busy and focused on the actual activation of the server but to those who have been entrusted with the functionality of the server itself after launch. As someone who's going to be leading one of the server's biggest factions and one of the longest standing ones, I feel that we're left somewhat in the lurch by multiple departments who should already have all of this done by now.

yeah, it's a little concerning how everything is being split up and compartmentalized into tiny departments where stuff is handled privately. the server is already extremely regulated (again) and im afraid the launch is going to be a lacklustre experience for anyone who wasnt cherry picked, or already friends with people in the in-crowd 

imo management really need to focus on development instead of divvying out responsibilities to 30 different people. have a grace period at the start of the server where things are easier to obtain, then think about stringent regulation later when you know whos who, and whats what. give factions the benefit of the doubt and let them have access to basic weaponry and drugs off the get go, without needing to jump through hoops

businesses, weapons, guns and a strong mix of players are vital for a server launch of this stature, and locking it all away behind heaps of paperwork and nut cupping just isnt a good idea - especially during the server's most important week. you can always ban or punish dmers/shitty rpers, but you cant magically bring back high value players frustrated with their lack of access to basic necessities

feels like there needs to be someone in the staff team who exists solely to tell micro managers to relax cuz coming up with these convoluted systems will always lead to a lack of communication

Edited by yekim

13 hours ago, Chuckles said:

yep, 21 days until launch and we still don't know any details about legitimate businesses, i feel like this should be already addressed to give people at least a couple of days to create anything that will actually work at the server launch.

Edited by mtz64

Do not coddle or baby illegal roleplayers. That is the best way to ensure a high standard of RP in the illegal scene. I really really have high hopes for this server and I'm looking forward to both legal and illegal roleplay but I'm not going to lie, I am very curious to see how the illegal scene unfolds. I love seeing well roleplayed criminals and gangs that can string along more than two words at a time and actually show some character development instead of just pewpew pointless "gang wars" with no actual strategy behind it. Don't be afraid to clean up the scene when it's actually needed. Illegal roleplaying tends to attract more toxic players than the legal scene. This really gives the community a bad rep. Get rid of the bad apples while you can, before good illegal roleplayers decide to leave themselves.

With that being said, do give the illegal roleplayers the proper guidance and support they need. A good set of admins who have roleplayed as criminals but aren't biased would be a great start. 

Also, strongly agree with IdleStacks. Make arms supplier role available to people outside of factions as well.

14 hours ago, RUMLY said:

Do not coddle or baby illegal roleplayers. That is the best way to ensure a high standard of RP in the illegal scene. I really really have high hopes for this server and I'm looking forward to both legal and illegal roleplay but I'm not going to lie, I am very curious to see how the illegal scene unfolds. I love seeing well roleplayed criminals and gangs that can string along more than two words at a time and actually show some character development instead of just pewpew pointless "gang wars" with no actual strategy behind it. Don't be afraid to clean up the scene when it's actually needed. Illegal roleplaying tends to attract more toxic players than the legal scene. This really gives the community a bad rep. Get rid of the bad apples while you can, before good illegal roleplayers decide to leave themselves.

With that being said, do give the illegal roleplayers the proper guidance and support they need. A good set of admins who have roleplayed as criminals but aren't biased would be a great start. 

Also, strongly agree with IdleStacks. Make arms supplier role available to people outside of factions as well.

One hundred percent. 

I'd love to see independent criminals playing both sides. I think opening schemes up to players who ain't in factions is going to be very important. obvs da ideal goal is to have a server where every illegal character has a big impact on the scene whether theyre in factions or not 

It would be beneficial to reach out to factions that have supported and ran the illegal section for years. The old era of IFM and players have so much experience and ideas waiting on the sidelines when nothing has even been discussed yet. Sure, there are weapon and drug ideas/schemes released which is an important factor, no doubt. There needs to be implementation of business registration/applications as the server launch is fast approaching. This is a large part of the player base that is excited for a new era but it seems as if it is not cared about or supported really. With how the current IFM seems to be structured, there is little to no experience in real organized crime, gang, or any illegal factions for that matter. An IFM with primarily legal role-players or outdated/inactive role-players does not achieve the goal the player base is hoping for. There is no experience, ideas, and creativity there as they do not resonate with the players within illegal role-play.

Edited by Adrian

Re open IFM applications so those who joined late, have a chance on joining it. Most of the people who signed up late have more than enough experience and knowledge on how to run a faction and what needs to be improved, just solely based of their experiences and the knowledge they hold.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...