Usage of real life internet/media content

Duckling

It's always been a mix of real world content & community content, but it's always been 30/70 with the people I've RPed with. Talking about an IG celebrity & seeing them in the club immerses you more into the experience. On the flip side, sometimes there's not enough community content to talk about, so discussing real world media like movies, music, tv shows, etc is the last resort to not run out of conversation. That's just my experience, I've always been more on the criminal side of RP. 

18 hours ago, CyberSilva said:

I think it's fine to use real-life content for roleplaying, it could open up a lot of paths for amazing experiences. But one thing we should never roleplay is the whole Covid situation, f*ck that. We already have enough of it in real life. 😂

Pretty sure the rules we had regarding that on SAMP will carry over to this version, meaning Covid isn't a existing thing and cannot be roleplayed whatsoever.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:40 PM, Xanakin said:

Pretty sure the rules we had regarding that on SAMP will carry over to this version, meaning Covid isn't a existing thing and cannot be roleplayed whatsoever.

Ya, that's a good thing in my opinion! I'm fine with real-life events to an extent. But Covid-19 was a little extreme to bring in game and well everyone was and is still getting effected by it everyday in terms of work, normal life, listening to it on the news 24/7 etc. The last thing we need is to hear it in game as well when we're just trying to play and then being forced into it to " wear masks ic " etc. The George Floyd issue mentioned in the above comments is fine for example, because you weren't necessarily affected icly by the situation if you didn't want to participate in it with the riots etc, but to RP a lockdown during a lockdown or something is ridiculous in my opinion as you're most likely trying to get away from that situation irl, hence playing a game. LSRP isn't supposed to drag worldwide panic like covid stress in game with you lol, a lot of people play to avoid irl issues I'm sure.

Now regarding like "end of the world" type scenario's, made up ones like the meteor "disaster" from 2014 was okay and more so for memories like when everyone hid inside the tunnel in SF for safety. It was creative, mapping was done to show roads were broken etc. It was something neat and we got to see it once which was worth it and it lasted like a day or so. It was more of a fun event for everyone to enjoy, something different. 

0hO1ou7.gifXoiz438.gif

Pretty big fan of separating real life from the game. Whether it's covid or, for example, police brutality situations, in my opinion it would be better if people only focused on in game police brutality situations and we create our own world. I've done it before though, there were some times that I RPed real world sports events in LS-RP, but admittedly, I would gladly rather talk about an in game sports league if there was one. Also never got down with the whole using pictures of people from real life/social media for my character either, a bit weird to me.

Talking about news.. I think that there should be something like a team which eventually filters the news that could be integrated in-game. I think that in the end, we would just have more ideas to create great roleplay scenes and have fun as well as to create our own scenarios (obviously the integration of some news should not replace In-Game events but eventually help to create unique situations ). 

What kind of news am I talking about?
Not those that would affect in a totally direct and profound way the Roleplay ( just like Covid 19 ), but maybe those things that could indirectly "affect" the way of doing Roleplay.
( eg. mild increase of gasoline prices due to oil shortages - to me it is a situation that would not radically change the way of doing roleplay and could create interesting scenes ).

it.png  SENIOR TESTER MIKEE

• HEAD OF FOREIGN SECTIONS
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF ECONOMY TEAM
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF PLAYER SUPPORT TEAM

Not a bad idea, if we were to decide to allow real life news into the server. Maybe the admin team giving SAN some guidelines, and from there the team at SAN determines what news gets allowed into the game.

Edited by Zachh
  • OK 1

22 minutes ago, La Tweaker said:

of course people use real life stuff ingame, it'd be stupid if we had to roleplay GTA lore.

Yeah but not everything can be involved In-Game. Something like coronavirus would affect in a profound way the roleplay. It's not possible.

it.png  SENIOR TESTER MIKEE

• HEAD OF FOREIGN SECTIONS
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF ECONOMY TEAM
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF PLAYER SUPPORT TEAM

1 minute ago, Mikee said:

Yeah but not everything can be involved In-Game. Something like coronavirus would affect in a profound way the roleplay. It's not possible.

yeah of course, that's not really what i was referring to, i was more referring to real world news/events that would pertain to gang member characters for example.

• Thumbs 1

• 5 weeks later...

I think the usage of real life news and content is cool and allows for roleplay around things we otherwise wouldn't be able to do or facilitate on such a scale. An example would be LASD's IRL corruption being emulated in-game and the subsequent FBI investigation. This was something we roleplayed around back on SAMP and it was very cool and immersive. It's really a pick and choose thing as it can get awkward to roleplay around certain things, for example a celebrity dying in L.A. You can't really roleplay the LSPD investigating this so it's something better to gloss over.

Certain thing should definitely be avoided such as roleplaying around COVID etc as people play the game as an escape from things like this and it invites trollish behaviour.