How should we roleplay the distance? 

witness

Option C would work best. Although the map may not feel as huge when flying around in a jet or speeding in a super car, most of the time you're roleplaying you're on foot. It would take about 2 and a half hours to walk from one side of the GTA V map to the other, so roleplaying it as being a couple hours away would make for great roleplay & it would give the world a much more realistic feeling.

This is unnecessary. We're just complicating things at this point for the sake of being complicated. The time it takes to drive from LSIA to Paleto Bay is really just the time it took you to drive there. Nothing less, nothing more. You're probably taking a different route to another player, so that's going to be a different drive time. I understand the realistic aspect of it, but some things are never gonna work here, because after all, this is just a game.

Imagine the fuss when a bigger roleplaying scenario happens and everyone has to travel the entire map. It's gonna get confusing, don't you think?

• Love 1

I've always been of the opinion that San Andreas is its own universe and should be treated as such. If it takes you five minutes to get to Sandy Shores from Los Santos, then five minutes is what it took. Why? Becouse if you roleplay that it takes two days to get back from Paleto, the other players around you will still roleplay that you've only been gone an hour because their characters haven't left town. It's just like prison time, X is arrested and comes back after 2 days as if he's been in prison for I don't know how many years, but for the other players it's only been 2 days in character and it creates too much of a continuity gap.

30 minutes ago, Cronic said:

This is unnecessary. We're just complicating things at this point for the sake of being complicated. The time it takes to drive from LSIA to Paleto Bay is really just the time it took you to drive there. Nothing less, nothing more. You're probably taking a different route to another player, so that's going to be a different drive time. I understand the realistic aspect of it, but some things are never gonna work here, because after all, this is just a game.

Imagine the fuss when a bigger roleplaying scenario happens and everyone has to travel the entire map. It's gonna get confusing, don't you think?

I agree with everything said here.

25 minutes ago, True Neutral said:

I've always been of the opinion that San Andreas is its own universe and should be treated as such. If it takes you five minutes to get to Sandy Shores from Los Santos, then five minutes is what it took. Why? Becouse if you roleplay that it takes two days to get back from Paleto, the other players around you will still roleplay that you've only been gone an hour because their characters haven't left town. It's just like prison time, X is arrested and comes back after 2 days as if he's been in prison for I don't know how many years, but for the other players it's only been 2 days in character and it creates too much of a continuity gap.

I am more fond of the idea of B, but I absolutely agree with the above.

The way this is best handled is to just incorporate both when it's necessary. You can't really define one or the other without it being weird.

If it's something that's urgent or actually needs a real value? E.G police response time, use minutes.

If it's just a passing comment or to build immersion? E.G discussing a camping trip up to Paleto, use hours.

On 10/16/2021 at 11:53 PM, ImpossibleProphet said:

this is a gray area thats best left gray tbh.

This is the best way to put it.

• Clap 1

1 hour ago, r0yal said:

The way this is best handled is to just incorporate both when it's necessary. You can't really define one or the other without it being weird.

If it's something that's urgent or actually needs a real value? E.G police response time, use minutes.

If it's just a passing comment or to build immersion? E.G discussing a camping trip up to Paleto, use hours.

This. Pretty much impossible to pick one or the other as it would make certain situations very difficult.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:46 AM, Florida said:

It's really not necessary. My normal drive from East LA to Santa Monica and Burbank to Santa Monica was like 30 minutes IRL.

This is the correct answer, honestly. Trying to roleplay a realistic time parallel to real life timeframes is impossible because GTA V's map is compressed hardcore. As a matter of fact, converting VGM to real life miles, you'd find that the entirety of GTA V's map is about the same size as South Central is in real life. It's just not possible.

What are you supposed to put down here?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 7:08 PM, witness said:

The GTA V map is quite large, and during the story of the game, Trevor mentions that Sandy Shores is a few hours away from Los Santos, and later on he specifically states that Paleto Bay is four hours away. "According to Trevor Philips, it takes about four hours to drive from Los Santos to Paleto Bay. This is an accurate assumption, as it takes less than 8 minutes in real time to drive that distance." - Taken from the GTA V wiki page https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Paleto_Bay

According to the GTA V wiki, Paleto Bay is influenced by Morro Bay in real life. Morro Bay is about a 3-4 hour drive from the center of LA. Sandy Shores is influenced by the Salton Sea is also about a 2-3 hour drive from the center of LA. This does create a discrepancy if we're comparing the distances from the Salton Sea to Morro Bay/Sandy Shores to Paleto Bay as the distance is much greater in real life, so I think that aspect we should definitely overlook as the Salton Sea is to the east of LA and not to the north where Sandy Shores is located in relation to Los Santos.

Some GTA V RP communities have chosen to ignore this distance, and treat it purely on the GTA V map size and the in-game miles between destinations, which isn't actually that much. While other communities have chosen to take these distances into consideration. I think it's important to have a server-wide understanding of this from the beginning.

How do you think we should roleplay the distance? 

A) The distance is exactly how it is in-game, if it takes 5-8 minutes to drive from Paleto to LS then that's how long it takes.
B) Be vague with how "far away" these places are, treat them in-character that it'll take a while to get there and generally avoid frequent trips for unjustified reasons; treating it entirely ambiguously but acknowledging that it's far away.
C) Treat the distance exactly how it's depicted in the story, with Sandy Shores/Paleto Bay being a few hours out from LS and avoid travelling the distance for unjustified reasons.

Or do you have something else in mind?

I'm with B, cops won't have to RP it taking hours to get there and other chars won't have to RP it being the IG distance. It will just take a while to get there.

• 2 weeks later...