How should we roleplay the distance? 

witness

The GTA V map is quite large, and during the story of the game, Trevor mentions that Sandy Shores is a few hours away from Los Santos, and later on he specifically states that Paleto Bay is four hours away. "According to Trevor Philips, it takes about four hours to drive from Los Santos to Paleto Bay. This is an accurate assumption, as it takes less than 8 minutes in real time to drive that distance." - Taken from the GTA V wiki page https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Paleto_Bay

According to the GTA V wiki, Paleto Bay is influenced by Morro Bay in real life. Morro Bay is about a 3-4 hour drive from the center of LA. Sandy Shores is influenced by the Salton Sea is also about a 2-3 hour drive from the center of LA. This does create a discrepancy if we're comparing the distances from the Salton Sea to Morro Bay/Sandy Shores to Paleto Bay as the distance is much greater in real life, so I think that aspect we should definitely overlook as the Salton Sea is to the east of LA and not to the north where Sandy Shores is located in relation to Los Santos.

Some GTA V RP communities have chosen to ignore this distance, and treat it purely on the GTA V map size and the in-game miles between destinations, which isn't actually that much. While other communities have chosen to take these distances into consideration. I think it's important to have a server-wide understanding of this from the beginning.

How do you think we should roleplay the distance? 

A) The distance is exactly how it is in-game, if it takes 5-8 minutes to drive from Paleto to LS then that's how long it takes.
B) Be vague with how "far away" these places are, treat them in-character that it'll take a while to get there and generally avoid frequent trips for unjustified reasons; treating it entirely ambiguously but acknowledging that it's far away.
C) Treat the distance exactly how it's depicted in the story, with Sandy Shores/Paleto Bay being a few hours out from LS and avoid travelling the distance for unjustified reasons.

Or do you have something else in mind?

Edited by witness
edited option B so it's easier to understand
  • Thumbs 1

If I were to personally choose an ultimate out of the three options just for the every day average roleplayer, I would like going all in and choosing C, it would really inspire some nice traveling RP aswell as take away the reasoning for street gangs (or anyone) to mob to and from Paleto Bay for robbing sprees or whatever. Giving some more thought into it though I doubt the Sheriff’s force would be able to properly police between Paleto and Sandy Shores unless they specifically station in one of the towns exclusively, but both of those towns will not even be comparable to Los Santos in activity which would make that really difficult.

Option B could work with letting Deputies get a universal pass just so Paleto isn’t treated as a criminal’s heaven with 2/3 hour response times, all around B has my vote.

Edited by vara

53 minutes ago, vara said:

If I were to personally choose an ultimate out of the three options just for the every day average roleplayer, I would like going all in and choosing C, it would really inspire some nice traveling RP aswell as take away the reasoning for street gangs (or anyone) to mob to and from Paleto Bay for robbing sprees or whatever. Giving some more thought into it though I doubt the Sheriff’s force would be able to properly police between Paleto and Sandy Shores unless they specifically station in one of the towns exclusively, but both of those towns will not even be comparable to Los Santos in activity which would make that really difficult.

Option B could work with letting Deputies get a universal pass just so Paleto isn’t treated as a criminal’s heaven with 2/3 hour response times, all around B has my vote.

When the server launches the Sheriff's Department will only have one station. The station is based in Davis and portrays the LASD's Compton Station. When the server expands enough a new station will open, preferably in Paleto Bay. With Paleto and Davis, Sandy Shores would be right in the middle.

I'd suggest to have Sandy Shores as a station to spawn at and be able to process arrests at. @jack

So ultimately I'd say that the Sheriff's Department could have three stations down the line.

Regarding the travel time, I like the idea. It would make some really nice travelling RP and I'd see myself creating a character that lives in a van and travels places.
I'd say that the roleplay should be on a case by case basis. If you are a deputy travelling from Paleto to the city, you can roleplay it as it is or not even bring it up. If you are a traveler, I would love to see it roleplayed as 3-4 hours to Paleto and 2-3 hours to Sandy. It would be also nice to see truckers roleplay it as a realistic as possible and make the route a couple of hours long (ICly).

Edited by Duckling
  • Clap 1

As it is, don't overthink it. Roleplay-wise? You could say that you stayed three hours in traffic or something while coming from the county due to traffic or whatever, nobody is going to complain about that tbh. But that's outside important situations, such as 911s since the player has to probably fill in reports with the actual information and time.

Edited by melt city

A & B, Don't over think it. Players are more then welcome to depict how far a place is depending on what sort of RP is handled, for example: Role-playing that you're traveling to a distant town or going away to a cottage with a group of friends in a mini-van as an "adventure", you might rp that as several hours away. It's really up to the player and the scenarios that happen to make calls like that, especially if posting on social media websites icly relating to your "vacation travels."

0hO1ou7.gifXoiz438.gif

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 11:53 PM, ImpossibleProphet said:

this is a gray area thats best left gray tbh.

This. It should be as the countryside, LV and SF were in LS:RP - according to convenience and what the people involved in the roleplay find it appropriate to be. If at all possible, avoid talking about it at all.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, chrillzen said:

I am dumbfounded as to why they would try to depict it in such a manner. It doesn't work. Ignore what the story says. Travel times should be travel times, nothing else makes sense. Whether or not the map is a realistic layout we cannot change and should just be accepted as it is.

You right fam. Fuck all this interpretation bullshit. It is what it is. 

I think it should be one of those things that can be interpreted in different ways to enhance role play. If you want to RP a road trip then there is nothing stopping you but by enforcing a rule where you must RP the distance it will be impossible for law enforcement to work unless they had a stupid amount of officers split across different departments on the map.

Role playing different times and sticking to that is impossible. It'll create an awkward divide between people who already are understanding of the concept, and people who have never heard of this approach before. There's absolutely no reason why we should role play set times for distances, just role play between whoever you're with or role play it what it is. 

Creating this awkward paradigm will make things convoluted and unnecessary. 

Edited by owen
  • Thumbs 1