Play Your Own Music, URL.

Play your own Music  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to play your own music on boombox's through urls?

• Yes, I support option 1 or 2
    • No

Option 1: 

Pretty simple, let people play their own music with urls from YouTube or other external sites on boombox's etc. NGRP from 2011 had that system in place which was like 11 Years Ago on samp. 

Players shouldn't feel tied to use DJ's just to play their own music that they want to hear, they should have a choice between personal choice and the radio. Obviously DJ's would still exist to easily mix and play music lists for parties. But in general players should be able to choose their own music and play it on their own for their little backyard events or large-scale events. You shouldn't have to hire a DJ to play a simple little tune for your 5 star restaurant. 

I think it's a pretty simple system and it makes sense, very easy for users to use.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 2:

*UPDATE - Rule restrictions for rule-breakers, using urls maliciously.*

Just a general idea, more of a 2nd choice to limit the potential abuse of url usage: 

- You could let any player use url's but through /setstation on vehicles only that way friends can enjoy music together that they'd like to listen to while cruising around, that way it's limited to the usage for casual players and can't disrupt on a large scale with any sort of malicious content. 

- Players could put in applications and or be apart of a company/business to be given permissions to use url links on boombox's that way it's more so heavily controlled then just giving it to everyone and the permission can be easily taken away. 

^ This sounds completely reasonable and doable if the first choice isn't what you want, one or the other would be better then nothing. I think we should be able to play our own music with friends when we want but if limitations like this must exist for us to get it then so be it. 

Edited by Natasha Valentine
UPDATE: Rule Restrictions, 2nd choice

0hO1ou7.gifXoiz438.gif

This is something I personally suggested some time back. 

The answer I got was that this idea was good but opted out of out of security concern. When you allow people to submit their own URLs to the script it can result in people attempting to use this function maliciously and creating a risk to the community and its members. For the same reason every /setstation that is requested to be added would need to be manually screened and then added.

1 hour ago, nova said:

This is something I personally suggested some time back. 

The answer I got was that this idea was good but opted out of out of security concern. When you allow people to submit their own URLs to the script it can result in people attempting to use this function maliciously and creating a risk to the community and its members. For the same reason every /setstation that is requested to be added would need to be manually screened and then added.

Interesting, what kind of malicious risks would we be talking about? Like inappropriate material being played or more in-depth security concern? Because if it's just regarding material that's being played then I assume that could easily be handled by administrators per situation if needed. Let me know!

0hO1ou7.gifXoiz438.gif

The main thing is that anyone can turn into a ''DJ'' at that point, which can be rather annoying for those actually putting in the time and effort to properly roleplay it out, where others just do it for a quick cash grab.
Not to mention what Nova said, people could end up playing nonsense whenever they want - keep in mind we're talking most likely large numbers of players online even, so we cannot play the roleplay police 24/7 as admins.

1 hour ago, Xanakin said:

The main thing is that anyone can turn into a ''DJ'' at that point, which can be rather annoying for those actually putting in the time and effort to properly roleplay it out, where others just do it for a quick cash grab.
Not to mention what Nova said, people could end up playing nonsense whenever they want - keep in mind we're talking most likely large numbers of players online even, so we cannot play the roleplay police 24/7 as admins.

I mean, anyone can literally turn into a "DJ" irl, you go to youtube and play it for several people or yourself. Also regarding administrators that can't police 24/7, that's why there's the forums if necessary and I doubt it'd happen 24/7 to begin with, but you might get the odd one that does it unfortunately same with mass dming, pking and any other server rule in existence.

An idea: 

- You could let any player use url's but through /setstation on vehicles only that way friends can enjoy music together that they'd like to listen to while cruising around, that way it's limited to the usage for casual players and can't disrupt on a large scale with any sort of malicious content. 

- Players could put in applications and or be apart of a company/business to be given permissions to use url links on boombox's that way it's more so heavily controlled then just giving it to everyone and the permission can be easily taken away. 

^ This sounds completely reasonable and doable. - I will paste this to the top of this conversation for new readers.

Possibly a new method of handling urls

0hO1ou7.gifXoiz438.gif

1 hour ago, Xanakin said:

Kinda weird gatekeeping pressing the "play" button.

As some people said, this would ruin any music-orientated roleplay that people may enjoy (I wanna roleplay an artist/DJ/producer with a record shop and label and this would basically mess up the roleplay). Also people would probably play a lot of anything that's basically forbidden just to mess with it. I'm against this, people have enough stations to play, from rock to foreign music. I'd love to see this in clubs though, DJs could actually put some work into it and come up with a list of tracks for the night, for different venues.

Also a DJ is not someone who just looks for tracks on youtube :), it's more than that, if you wanna do it properly and roleplay it by the book - which I hopefully people will. 

edit1: I'd love to see personal playlists in cars and businesses, not on the street though. And saying 'admins can punish those who break the rule' would mean more work for Admins and I believe they have more important stuff to take care of, instead of looking at what people are playing on their speakers. Sorry, but this logic means that there's no reason to have anything restricted because admins can punish people...some features are restricted because of it, so admins would not do the detective work over players to see stuff like this.

Edited by Socrates

2 hours ago, Socrates said:

As some people said, this would ruin any music-orientated roleplay that people may enjoy (I wanna roleplay an artist/DJ/producer with a record shop and label and this would basically mess up the roleplay). Also people would probably play a lot of anything that's basically forbidden just to mess with it. I'm against this, people have enough stations to play, from rock to foreign music. I'd love to see this in clubs though, DJs could actually put some work into it and come up with a list of tracks for the night, for different venues.

Also a DJ is not someone who just looks for tracks on youtube :), it's more than that, if you wanna do it properly and roleplay it by the book - which I hopefully people will. 

edit1: I'd love to see personal playlists in cars and businesses, not on the street though. And saying 'admins can punish those who break the rule' would mean more work for Admins and I believe they have more important stuff to take care of, instead of looking at what people are playing on their speakers. Sorry, but this logic means that there's no reason to have anything restricted because admins can punish people...some features are restricted because of it, so admins would not do the detective work over players to see stuff like this.

That's why I mentioned the *Update* portion in the first post and obviously Dj's don't just look for tracks on youtube but it's the most simple thing to do in real life, which is play your own music at your convenience. It shouldn't be held back just for players to benefit from their DJ roleplay in general. Restaurant, different types of businesses should be able to play the type of music they want within their store through url like for example: certain piano music to certain club beats or art gallery music etc that they prefer. It should not be withheld just because DJ's want to press the play button and hog it for themselves, It doesn't make any sense. I shouldn't have to hire a DJ just to listen to my personal taste of music within my vehicle either. I do understand that there are rule breakers though so I am referring to the *Update*(2nd choice) that I posted at the start of this post as an option. I also understand that it would personally benefit you in-game if you halted the freedom of music so no one else can listen to their own music except DJ's within clubs which is pretty non-rp and I feel like we should be a little bit more open regarding music.

• OK 1

0hO1ou7.gifXoiz438.gif

Yea, the second option sounds more suitable. Certain places with personalized music would be a nice touch in such places, I totally agree - even in cars, it's your own personal vehicle so it doesn't matter what you listen. I'm just not OK with hearing personalized music on boomboxes on street, it would be a bit messy. 

• Thumbs 1

6 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Yea, the second option sounds more suitable. Certain places with personalized music would be a nice touch in such places, I totally agree - even in cars, it's your own personal vehicle so it doesn't matter what you listen. I'm just not OK with hearing personalized music on boomboxes on street, it would be a bit messy. 

Ya, exactly! So you'd go with option 2, unfortunately I didn't put that option in the polls but saying yes basically means you'd be okay with supporting option 1 or 2.  Great to get your opinion regarding music! 😊

- edit: I made Option 1 & Option 2 more clear and edited the poles, wasn't aware I could do that! 

Additional Information regarding Option 1 & 2
  • Thumbs 1
  • Love 1

0hO1ou7.gifXoiz438.gif

On 3/18/2022 at 5:47 AM, Natasha Valentine said:

I mean, anyone can literally turn into a "DJ" irl, you go to youtube and play it for several people or yourself. Also regarding administrators that can't police 24/7, that's why there's the forums if necessary and I doubt it'd happen 24/7 to begin with, but you might get the odd one that does it unfortunately same with mass dming, pking and any other server rule in existence.

An idea: 

- You could let any player use url's but through /setstation on vehicles only that way friends can enjoy music together that they'd like to listen to while cruising around, that way it's limited to the usage for casual players and can't disrupt on a large scale with any sort of malicious content. 

- Players could put in applications and or be apart of a company/business to be given permissions to use url links on boombox's that way it's more so heavily controlled then just giving it to everyone and the permission can be easily taken away. 

^ This sounds completely reasonable and doable. - I will paste this to the top of this conversation for new readers.

Playing a random playlist off YouTube isn't DJ'ing; even if you use software to stream it you're just basically ripping someone else their mix.
Sadly most players doesn't see that what we for example did on SAMP was actually manually done, live on the spot.
You'd also be surprised how easy and often something easy to abuse will be taken advantage of, we as an admin team don't want to spend time handling reports regarding players playing explicit noises etc. while we could've invested time and effort into something else.

Music can be heard from outside of vehicles, at least in the current test build - including custom streams. Meaning all it takes is 1 vehicle stationed playing disturbing noises.

I'm indeed more a fan of being able to control what group/faction gets a perk of some sorts, so they'd be able to play a certain link to their stream etc. - however that can be requested by anyone already, just to get their XMR stations added in-game just like we had on SAMP.

• Strong 1

2 hours ago, Xanakin said:

Playing a random playlist off YouTube isn't DJ'ing; even if you use software to stream it you're just basically ripping someone else their mix.
Sadly most players doesn't see that what we for example did on SAMP was actually manually done, live on the spot.
You'd also be surprised how easy and often something easy to abuse will be taken advantage of, we as an admin team don't want to spend time handling reports regarding players playing explicit noises etc. while we could've invested time and effort into something else.

Music can be heard from outside of vehicles, at least in the current test build - including custom streams. Meaning all it takes is 1 vehicle stationed playing disturbing noises.

I'm indeed more a fan of being able to control what group/faction gets a perk of some sorts, so they'd be able to play a certain link to their stream etc. - however that can be requested by anyone already, just to get their XMR stations added in-game just like we had on SAMP.

ngl players not knowing the difference between live mixing and a YT playlist sounds like a you issue. punishing them by restricting access to a popular feature just so you can rp a DJ better is selfish as fuck

sanitize inputs properly and give players a quick-client side toggle to mute stations. other communities do this just fine and if a beloved server with dozens of admins and testers cant find the time to teleport to someone playing explicit content, listen for 5 second, ban them and then leave then idk lol

the most obvious solution is to just have a place on the UCP you can upload custom streams to and have testers/admins/or even a selection of hand picked players hop on to accept/verify which i think is whats gonna happen anyways

Edited by yekim
  • Thumbs 1

8 hours ago, yekim said:

ngl players not knowing the difference between live mixing and a YT playlist sounds like a you issue. punishing them by restricting access to a popular feature just so you can rp a DJ better is selfish as fuck

sanitize inputs properly and give players a quick-client side toggle to mute stations. other communities do this just fine and if a beloved server with dozens of admins and testers cant find the time to teleport to someone playing explicit content, listen for 5 second, ban them and then leave then idk lol

the most obvious solution is to just have a place on the UCP you can upload custom streams to and have testers/admins/or even a selection of hand picked players hop on to accept/verify which i think is whats gonna happen anyways

this sounds like the best option, with the UCP. I doubt people will abuse it because it’s quite hard to find something disturbing to play, but it would be nice to be limited to inside areas where it wouldn’t mess things up. for open areas, a boom box with the classic stations would probably be enough.

and I believe that no one said to stop the customized music to Djs, it was only a point of view. realistically speaking, anyone can listen to their own music. 

It would be nice to see a headphone feature where you can listen to your own tracks uploaded by UCP as a simple citizen, not necessarily in a car or a building, and you’d be the only one hearing the music - but this feature can wait, it’s not so important in my view 

16 hours ago, yekim said:

I can tell you haven't played on the SAMP server or at least never bothered with XMR stations.

We've had a system on SAMP where people could play their own streams through an XM station (/setstation).
All they had to do was create their own server host with an auto DJ, free and paid variants are available matter of searching, and then requesting the XM stream to be added in-game; all players could do this.

You also never seen the amount of reports coming in, ranging from simple requests to serious situations such as Deathmatching; last thing we want to do is waste time and effort on someone playing explicit noises from a radio.

Your suggestion is just like we had on SAMP, something that still is in place, however handled through the Forums back then. 

Do your research before you start calling people ''selfish as fuck''.

21 hours ago, Xanakin said:

I already commented on Socrates comment earlier: " Dj's don't just look for tracks on youtube but it's the most simple thing to do in real life, which is play your own music at your convenience. " That's when I mentioned Update: Option 2 and put it at the top of this topic section for others to read as I thought it was the easiest solution to overcome any potential problems. I also understand that you were a DJ on LSRP Samp as well and by denying this for other players to play url music through Option 2, you'd be benefiting from it since the only way for players to listen to their music with friends in-game would be through you or other DJ's only. It should be easier for other players to listen to their own music when they want, in my opinion. Player/Company examples: I shouldn't have to pay a DJ or make a request for your XMR channel to play Beethoven for 3 hours straight just because my library is opening for customers to come in or my 5 star restaurant and I want 5 hours of /certain/ piano music to play for customers to give off a high-rating restaurant experience. 

Regarding music being able to be heard outside of vehicles during the test build, it'd have to be tested with Update Option 2/urls and I'm sure it could be changed if necessary. I also still want XMR stations by the way but I also want to have easy access to play my own, I feel like every player should be able to and would prefer that along with a rule section regarding setstation rules/explicit noises to inform players of possible punishments. 

19 hours ago, yekim said:

I agree with this, a simple /togstation command should exist so players can block certain types of music they don't want to hear at their own convenience as we had on samp. I'm also sure that if any issues did arise regarding explicit music playing that admins could handle it and take the appropriate time to do so, though these issues would be quite rare and limited if we went with the Option 2 I mentioned in the first post.  

0hO1ou7.gifXoiz438.gif

4 hours ago, Xanakin said:

I can tell you haven't played on the SAMP server or at least never bothered with XMR stations.

We've had a system on SAMP where people could play their own streams through an XM station (/setstation).
All they had to do was create their own server host with an auto DJ, free and paid variants are available matter of searching, and then requesting the XM stream to be added in-game; all players could do this.

You also never seen the amount of reports coming in, ranging from simple requests to serious situations such as Deathmatching; last thing we want to do is waste time and effort on someone playing explicit noises from a radio.

Your suggestion is just like we had on SAMP, something that still is in place, however handled through the Forums back then. 

Do your research before you start calling people ''selfish as fuck''.

it's nice of you, as an admin, to try and belittle my experience like this. very professional! and fyi i've played LSRP since 2009, and have had multiple XMRs through my time on the server so i'm fully aware of how it all works thanks. your idea that easier access to URL streaming will diminish DJ RP came off as very gatekeepery, especially when you plan to rp a DJ yourself. we don't all revolve around your niche form of roleplay and there's dozens of other applications for widened XMR usage - something entirely possible now with correct sanitation and checks

hell, put the ability to stream directly from different URLs behind a paywall for all i care but if we take this approach that everything must be babied by admins 24/7 then nothing is gonna get implemented

Edited by yekim
  • Thumbs 2
  • OK 1
  • Strong 1

You shouldn't need to be able to DJ to be RP as a DJ. Much like you shouldn't need to be a cop, lawyer, doctor or gangster to play as such.

Potential security risks and abuse is fair, but gatekeeping because a small group of people want to OOC DJ isn't cool.

• Thumbs 1