Support for art, media, culture and sport RP

Sal

Hey folks. When the server launches my character's gonna be running the Gov's Cultural Affairs department - which basically means we handle things like in-game events, working with religious/cultural groups, supporting artists and musicians, that sort of thing. We have a full 2022 events calendar already, so that's already well under control (and will keep us pretty busy).

However I'd really appreciate your thoughts on some of the other things we could be doing. Mainly it's a case of seeing how much appetite there is for this sort of thing, and of course to get some ideas and fresh opinions.

So here's what I've been thinking, off the top of my head:

- An in-game art museum. A place which has actual paintings on the wall, with perhaps a command that opens a popup showing what the painting looks like. Paintings can be created by player characters, so long as they're original pieces (good for those who enjoy drawing or digital painting). This idea came from Maxim and I'm mad keen on it, but obviously it depends on how many people would want to RP an artist either professionally or as a hobby. Plus script limitations but I don't know much about that. 

- Support for in-game radio stations. I'm not sure how the setup will be in terms of player XM stations like it was on SAMP, but I like the idea of us providing some support (perhaps financially in the most basic instance) for players who put in the time to DJ, host shows etc. 

- Support for in-game news and media coverage. I know there aren't any in-game news reporting commands at launch, but that's promised for later down the line. The simplest form of support is again financial, perhaps subsidising it to some extent. Perhaps we could provide offices for them and other similar businesses, help them get advertisers and become profitable. 

- Support for music artists. I remember there used to be a lot of interest in this back in the day, but we'd need to consider what we'd allow player characters to claim as their own (ideally, I guess it would just be things that they create themselves, thus requiring the player to be willing to produce their own stuff). In terms of how to support, on top of financial aid, things like music festivals and maybe something we can do with in-game charts, music awards, etc. Open to thoughts!

- Supporting 'tourism'. I'm getting into video editing a bit more so would love to create 'trailers' for the city, which can also then serve as trailers for the server itself to attract new players. So whether this is presented as generic tourism, or like encouraging immigration, or encouraging businesses to set up here... basically all of the above. I'd actually definitely like to do this one, just will require me getting better at video editing or relying on some helpful soul to provide assistance. 

All very open to suggestions so thanks in advance 😉

Edit: Oh also, if you're planning to do any of the above roleplay please hit me up or mention it here, as it'd be great to know how many people are likely to get involved in this sort of RP in the beginning. 

Edited by Allegra
Adding sport
  • Clap 4
  • Thumbs 2
  • Strong 1
  • Love 1

Sal 

Ex-staff

1 hour ago, Tseard1 said:

I think these are some great ideas that could bring some roleplay to the cultural table. I've always been interested in creating an own radio station which could be played in-game but lack the knowledge on how to do so. 

Thanks! And yeah actually I've never set it up myself, and not sure how it'll work in-game. It would be great to get player-operated stations a thing though, extra immersion and all that. I know it must take people a fair bit of time and effort to manage though, hence why I think some kind of compensation for their characters would be great. We as Gov could perhaps do standard advertising with them about positions that are open (for PD SD FD and GOV) as well as big policy changes, event ads etc. Eventually those sort of ads would ideally come from businesses themselves, but Gov could be the jumpstart in the beginning. 

Sal 

Ex-staff

Some great ideas here and I'm happy that all things cultural (arts, music, etc.) are getting the attention and are not being ignored.
I personally am really interested in all things music, so the mentioned support for musicians/bands/artists would be tight and a good thing to know if, for starters, one would like to form a band. I hope I'm not alone on this.

Speaking of suggestions, it's gonna be pretty hectic at launch, with it's own set of priorities, so I'm not expecting much at the very beginning. Down the line, though, if things will pick up, I could see a whole music industry with venues hiring bands to perform and all things that come with it, to be a thing. If there's enough engagement, of course.

• Strong 1

Indeed. The so welcomed emphasis on illegal roleplay shouldn't overshadow other fields of interest. Artistic RP usually generates external media (photography, songs, music videos...) that can be converted in engagement for the server, specially on YouTube or Soundcloud.

• Strong 1

On 3/1/2022 at 2:18 PM, i dont wanna od in LA said:

That's some good ideas there. Hopefully you'll be able to bring them to life and create some cool rp opportunities for legal rpers.

Yeah there's still plenty of us around after all, even if there's gonna be a great illegal scene alongside it. Thanks!

On 3/2/2022 at 1:57 PM, Maxim said:

Grand Theft Auto V

🎵 I love you, San Andreas 🎵

20 hours ago, Kjell said:

Some great ideas here and I'm happy that all things cultural (arts, music, etc.) are getting the attention and are not being ignored.
I personally am really interested in all things music, so the mentioned support for musicians/bands/artists would be tight and a good thing to know if, for starters, one would like to form a band. I hope I'm not alone on this.

Speaking of suggestions, it's gonna be pretty hectic at launch, with it's own set of priorities, so I'm not expecting much at the very beginning. Down the line, though, if things will pick up, I could see a whole music industry with venues hiring bands to perform and all things that come with it, to be a thing. If there's enough engagement, of course.

Thanks for your feedback and yeah, couldn't agree more. It's great to hear you're into music and love the idea of forming a band! Hopefully you find some likeminded people to join you. I'll keep an ear to the ground and will connect you if I come across anyone.

Also fully one hundred percent agree about the music industry, hiring of bands for venues and live music, big fan of that. What's your opinion on how it would work in practise - do you think we'd only realistically recognise people who have actually produced their own music? As in, basically disallowing claiming famous songs or other people's works as your own? I think this is pretty essential imo.

36 minutes ago, agata said:

Indeed. The so welcomed emphasis on illegal roleplay shouldn't overshadow other fields of interest. Artistic RP usually generates external media (photography, songs, music videos...) that can be converted in engagement for the server, specially on YouTube or Soundcloud.

Yep - hoping to get lots of videos and music and all sorts out of this. And the great thing is, it's something that so many people can get involved in. Just required creativity and talent, then we (the Gov) would be there ICly to help out with whatever's needed, and OOCly we can think about how the wider picture actually works. We can ask questions like "Should we have an area of the forums dedicated to the charts and in-game music?" and "Should we have an art gallery and if so where, how would it work, how do artists get paid?" etc.

The main thing is gathering people who are interested in this RP together. 

Oh another thing to bring up is Sport, which is likely gonna fall under our remit as well. I've never really seen sports done particularly well on any other server, has anyone else? Open to ideas on that one.

Sal 

Ex-staff

On 3/1/2022 at 5:12 AM, Allegra said:

Support for in-game news and media coverage. I know there aren't any in-game news reporting commands at launch, but that's promised for later down the line. The simplest form of support is again financial, perhaps subsidising it to some extent. Perhaps we could provide offices for them and other similar businesses, help them get advertisers and become profitable. 

In a past life, I was considering RPing a news stringer. (I won't have time to get involved at launch.) There is a lot of freelance work in media, so maybe some type of media company could be created where they buy stories from freelancers and repackage it? By "media company" it could literally just be one player, like a news presenter or something. Decentralizing news coverage and providing financial incentives could bring in lots of random/gritty stories from people who wouldn't usually be submitting photos/video. IMO that could have more reach than a single news faction that does it all in-house with their own team.

12 hours ago, La Mala said:

In a past life, I was considering RPing a news stringer. (I won't have time to get involved at launch.) There is a lot of freelance work in media, so maybe some type of media company could be created where they buy stories from freelancers and repackage it? By "media company" it could literally just be one player, like a news presenter or something. Decentralizing news coverage and providing financial incentives could bring in lots of random/gritty stories from people who wouldn't usually be submitting photos/video. IMO that could have more reach than a single news faction that does it all in-house with their own team.

That's an interesting idea for media actually - being paid per article as a "contributor" sort of thing. Keeping in-house staff for a single news faction was always difficult, as we saw with the ongoing rise and fall of SAN. Perhaps that model would actually work better.

I'd also be interested to see whether any developers have plans or ideas in mind for how news works in the script itself. The obvious answer is a phone app, which I think sounds doable. But when we get into the realms of TV and radio broadcasts, I'm not so sure. Most folks fell out with the idea of a global IC chat a while back, but maybe an opt-in alternative combined with TV script could work. 

On the topic of support for this sort of RP, paying for the articles or contributions is a clear win. However arguably that'd be paid by a business (or selection of businesses).. but maybe in the beginning, we just cover it ourselves as a sort of press wire to encourage news articles getting going in the first place. If a news app isn't going to be there for launch, this could be a forum section. 

Good thinking though I like this train of thought.

Sal 

Ex-staff

• Sal changed the title to Support for art, media, culture and sport RP
4 hours ago, Allegra said:

However arguably that'd be paid by a business (or selection of businesses).. but maybe in the beginning, we just cover it ourselves as a sort of press wire to encourage news articles getting going in the first place. If a news app isn't going to be there for launch, this could be a forum section.

IMO it is in the server's interest to have a news system that won't die when a business faction disappears. IDK how a media faction would get money. If the San Andreas government funds a wire service or something, and it's buying from freelancers and amateurs and whoever, then it also creates a more stable environment for smaller crews to come together and build up their own private media companies instead of feeling pressure to be everything to everyone. People can RP going out and getting news, instead of worrying about having an office or securing ad revenue or whatev. Someone can make a new character and start RPing a journalist the same day.

Both the Associated Press and the Canadian Press started out as cooperative nonprofits with major news outfits as members. So you could have the San Andreas News Association (SANA) or something like that, and its money would come from the government but ICly you could say it comes from all the news channels and papers that realistically would exist.

You could always have some opt-in global IC news feed, and it would be like "Shooting reported in Davis, 3 in hospital ((story and video on the forums))" and then the forums could have text and pics/video. But I think we can get too obsessed with visuals/audio on a text RP server, like we can pretend a still image has video, I think the important thing news can do is create opportunities for characters to talk to each other, feel fear or worry or curiosity about what's going on, having an awareness of different neighbourhoods, feel that atmosphere. Though I would expect most stories to be delayed by a day or 2, but it still creates a vibe when you check the local news and see trends.

Here is a piece from a legit news stringer in Los Angeles (warning: bloody)
https://onscene.tv/2-wounded-in-brutal-stabbing-hollywood/

This is a sample of the type of package they sell to news channels. I've seen news RP that involved super long complicated articles with lots of images, but if I was RPing a news stringer I would be putting together super short pieces like the example: one paragraph, maybe a few screenshots, maybe an OOC note saying "your character might see this rebroadcast on the local Spanish language channel" or something like that.

• Clap 1

1 hour ago, La Mala said:

IMO it is in the server's interest to have a news system that won't die when a business faction disappears. IDK how a media faction would get money. If the San Andreas government funds a wire service or something, and it's buying from freelancers and amateurs and whoever, then it also creates a more stable environment for smaller crews to come together and build up their own private media companies instead of feeling pressure to be everything to everyone. People can RP going out and getting news, instead of worrying about having an office or securing ad revenue or whatev. Someone can make a new character and start RPing a journalist the same day.

Both the Associated Press and the Canadian Press started out as cooperative nonprofits with major news outfits as members. So you could have the San Andreas News Association (SANA) or something like that, and its money would come from the government but ICly you could say it comes from all the news channels and papers that realistically would exist.

You could always have some opt-in global IC news feed, and it would be like "Shooting reported in Davis, 3 in hospital ((story and video on the forums))" and then the forums could have text and pics/video. But I think we can get too obsessed with visuals/audio on a text RP server, like we can pretend a still image has video, I think the important thing news can do is create opportunities for characters to talk to each other, feel fear or worry or curiosity about what's going on, having an awareness of different neighbourhoods, feel that atmosphere. Though I would expect most stories to be delayed by a day or 2, but it still creates a vibe when you check the local news and see trends.

Here is a piece from a legit news stringer in Los Angeles (warning: bloody)
https://onscene.tv/2-wounded-in-brutal-stabbing-hollywood/

This is a sample of the type of package they sell to news channels. I've seen news RP that involved super long complicated articles with lots of images, but if I was RPing a news stringer I would be putting together super short pieces like the example: one paragraph, maybe a few screenshots, maybe an OOC note saying "your character might see this rebroadcast on the local Spanish language channel" or something like that.

Brilliant this is really good food for thought, thanks for sharing and for the links and references to how it works in real life too.

I'll have more of a think about this and see about pulling something together. I imagine something like this could work well with the Twatter social media feature too. 

I'm also personally more of a fan of shorter bite-sized news anyway. Attention spans in the real world are lower than ever before, we've got a scrolling culture now, so it makes sense for this to translate IC anyway.

Great contribution though thanks again and feel free to add any more ideas that spring to mind 👍

• Love 1

Sal 

Ex-staff

We all comparing LS:RP to GTA:W. Some of us come from SAMP LS:RP, where there were limits for types of roleplay you can do, in GTA:V universe it's much, much better. I gotta give props to GTA:W for the legal roleplay they managed to create and for the opportunities they gave to players. The only problem I see that LS:RP might run into is that this server may eventually fall into cops-vs-robbers roleplay, which means there won't be enough legal roleplayers whatsoever to create something new and unique. 

• Art roleplay - museums will be a great idea. Graphic designers, painters - they all can promote their work through this sort of roleplay, which I hope will be for free for those who wants to take part in it. People can buy pieces of art, spoiling their characters - it'd be great, if there would be a system to add images you want on furniture objects. But you might want to ask developers if it's possible, like it was on SAMP - or it can be done strictly through mods.
  • Media roleplay - obviously, custom XMRs should be a thing. Plus, this will open opportunities for businesses to play their own stations and opportunities for real life DJs and musicians - I loved to watch few DJs on GTA:W that actually created mixes IRL and played them in clubs, making little amount of IG money, but creating great atmosphere around them. This can also be a possibility to promote your music through in-game and I'm all for it.
  • Tourism RP is a subject to discuss, because GTA:W tried adding parks and stuff around the map, but let's be real - it was useless and not needed. I just think that it'd be cool to be able to start a campfire (object) or set up a tent (object or even an object with an entrance and interior, if the tent is big enough) somewhere in the woods or at the beach - this way we could see some cool roleplay going - in factions or between certain people. Other than that, focusing on tourism RP is something you don't want to do, especially at launch. 

And obviously, there should be indepedent, player-owned news stations, media outlets, etc. I just hope it won't be one channel only to be able to broadcast through /news or whatever. It'd be cool to translate the image/video taken by the cameraman or whatever from the news station through televisions, but I doubt it's possible to develop for it to be in real time.

3 hours ago, dimes said:

We all comparing LS:RP to GTA:W. Some of us come from SAMP LS:RP, where there were limits for types of roleplay you can do, in GTA:V universe it's much, much better. I gotta give props to GTA:W for the legal roleplay they managed to create and for the opportunities they gave to players. The only problem I see that LS:RP might run into is that this server may eventually fall into cops-vs-robbers roleplay, which means there won't be enough legal roleplayers whatsoever to create something new and unique. 

• Art roleplay - museums will be a great idea. Graphic designers, painters - they all can promote their work through this sort of roleplay, which I hope will be for free for those who wants to take part in it. People can buy pieces of art, spoiling their characters - it'd be great, if there would be a system to add images you want on furniture objects. But you might want to ask developers if it's possible, like it was on SAMP - or it can be done strictly through mods.
  • Media roleplay - obviously, custom XMRs should be a thing. Plus, this will open opportunities for businesses to play their own stations and opportunities for real life DJs and musicians - I loved to watch few DJs on GTA:W that actually created mixes IRL and played them in clubs, making little amount of IG money, but creating great atmosphere around them. This can also be a possibility to promote your music through in-game and I'm all for it.
  • Tourism RP is a subject to discuss, because GTA:W tried adding parks and stuff around the map, but let's be real - it was useless and not needed. I just think that it'd be cool to be able to start a campfire (object) or set up a tent (object or even an object with an entrance and interior, if the tent is big enough) somewhere in the woods or at the beach - this way we could see some cool roleplay going - in factions or between certain people. Other than that, focusing on tourism RP is something you don't want to do, especially at launch. 

And obviously, there should be indepedent, player-owned news stations, media outlets, etc. I just hope it won't be one channel only to be able to broadcast through /news or whatever. It'd be cool to translate the image/video taken by the cameraman or whatever from the news station through televisions, but I doubt it's possible to develop for it to be in real time.

Couldn't agree more - there are so many more options now that weren't even fathomable on SAMP. Plennnnty more to consider!

Glad that you like the idea of an art gallery. I'm not sure how feasible it is to have actual, physical art objects in the game without it being labour intensive to maintain. However, a halfway house solution could be that there's a generic blank object that looks like a painting, then when you get close and press a button, a popup appears with the actual painting itself (basically linked to somewhere on the internet, an image file of course). Not quite the same as having art that can be bought etc, but at least it can be displayed. 

With media, I agree that XM stations are a must and that we need to support players who are going to run their own stations as well. Sadly these have never been money makers, but again, I figure that this is potentially where Gov can step in and make up some of the money. Agreed as well that it'd be great for having some kind of in-game "charts" for players involved in music production RP.

Tourism is indeed interesting. I'd see it more as something that we do by default, but its ulterior OOC motive should be to promote the server not just the city itself. Naturally we'd focus on the legal aspects of the server, but tbf I'm also down for creating some OOC trailers that reference both legal and illegal RP. That's not entirely related to this discussion, but is still something that I'd like to do.

News stations is an interesting one. La Mama brought up a great model idea whereby having actual news companies isn't essential to the news scene. I quite like it but also respect anyone who wants to set up their own outfit. Just that it often takes a lot of management and is generally thankless. 

Agreed also that new revisions and ideas are needed on in-game news scripts and television. Ideally we want something as realistic as possible, but at the same time accessible so that people can actually see it. Perhaps an option to tune in to live streams using the phone? Then we're getting into Twitch territory but I'm kinda here for that too.

Sal 

Ex-staff

On 3/3/2022 at 5:18 PM, Allegra said:

Also fully one hundred percent agree about the music industry, hiring of bands for venues and live music, big fan of that. What's your opinion on how it would work in practise - do you think we'd only realistically recognise people who have actually produced their own music? As in, basically disallowing claiming famous songs or other people's works as your own? I think this is pretty essential imo.

Well, speaking of bands, there probably won't be a lot of people that have the chops to write/produce their own material, let alone roleplay it. That's a lot of work. Players shouldn't claim famous songs or other people's works too. I think an easier and more enjoyable way would be to roleplay as a cover band. Everyone can do it, the material is already there and you're only left with the thing you're here for - roleplay. At the end of the day, it's still a game, so I think it's pretty important to make it easy and accessible to roleplay, so more people can join and create the industry.

There might be exceptions, though, the ones that do have the chops, should be recognised as original artists and can claim their material as their own. But that's really optimistic.

I'm too lazy to read everything but I'm willing to help with anything that I'm capable of, I own two labels in real life and I collaborated with booking agencies and have some knowledge about events in the music area(usually eletronic) - we can make a proper business if it's done right here. Would be nice to have a way to stream mixes through radios inside clubs, I'd love to see more diversity, rather than boring commercial music in clubs. I'm thinking a podcast series weekly where people can actually show their real life work in terms of music (from ambient to rock, whatever is their passion), along with interviews, photographies, etc.

I remember owning a pseudo-fashion design house with some friends but we didn't had the time to take care of it - I'd love to see something like that too. 

Everything else sounds great, from museums to journalism. We could make some Andy Warhol type of business here and combine them all into one unique hub of arts, one huge group of friends that combine music with photography, film, painting, journalism, and so on - this is just my main idea, but I'd adore to see this made properly with a touch of the 70/80s, people being all artsy-partsy and developing characters in that way. 

• Thumbs 2

• 1 year later...

Reviving this since we're getting closer to launch. Got a few folks in this team now too (Alastair Crawford will be leading, I'll be supporting). 

Any more ideas / comments would be welcome!

Sal 

Ex-staff

14 hours ago, DDaniels said:

We could also look into hosting events together with the event team and faction team. Have neighbourhood cookouts, etc. I also urge factions to hold their own internal events

Yeah tbf this would be great, and especially important in the beginning I reckon. It's a big ol' map and getting people together in little hubs where they know they can find casual RP is a pretty logical first step - and that can be helped along with events like the one you mentioned there. Big fan. 

Sal 

Ex-staff

11 minutes ago, Allegra said:

Yeah tbf this would be great, and especially important in the beginning I reckon. It's a big ol' map and getting people together in little hubs where they know they can find casual RP is a pretty logical first step - and that can be helped along with events like the one you mentioned there. Big fan. 

Glad to hear you like the idea. We should get in contact soon enough and see what we can think of