San Andreas and California co-existing? (LSRP Lore)

xander11

San Andreas and California co-existing? (LSRP Lore)  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer between these two variants?

• Los Santos is actually Los Angeles, and San Andreas replaces the state of California.
    • San Andreas is an island, co-existing with California which is a different state, and Los Santos and Los Angeles are two separate cities.

Chuckles is right. I don't remember it being an island beyond 2016-17. Some people roleplayed it as such earlier but after that period, we did not.

I also agree that a broader 'lore' discussion needs to be had. By the end of my time on LSRP there were so many gray areas in terms of what was roleplayed and what wasn't, that everyone just ended up rping their own stuff. It contributed a lot to the overall vibe of "who cares anymore", if I recall.

I think the staff team needs to take an active role in forming what kind of server this is going to be because you're right, now is the time to have these discussions. Standards need to be set and points of lore should be agreed upon as a footnote to that.

• Thumbs 1

20 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

I have been roleplaying on this server from 2017 and never has it been roleplayed as an individual "island." San Andreas has ALWAYS replaced California. I don't know where this analogy is coming from.

The existence of California has never been acknowledged throughout the course of LSRPs existence.

Literally this. Not only by 2018-19 most factions acknowledged that we replace California, but also attempted their best at portraying the Californian aesthetics, lifestyle and culture. 

No. Los Santos is a lore version of Los Angeles. San Andreas is the lore version of California. Even the developers of Rockstar/GTA V stated it. Why is there a need for this to be an island it wouldn't be connected? That breaks the lore, even knowing that Los Angeles can be driven to. If Los Santos is Los Angeles, reason for an island is? It isn't Hawaii.

• OK 1

Yeah having read through everything here I'll throw my lot in with the "SA = California" view. Hopefully the results of the poll will be taken into consideration. Also I took a look at "another community" which has an entire section dedicated to continuity/lore, and an individual who is basically responsible for maintaining and updating it. There's also a very open Q/A thread, and suggestions seem to be taken into account, so this sort of thing would be nice to implement here.

Think someone else made a fair point earlier regarding the fact that this is the sort of stuff we can proactively sort out before the server launches. I wonder what else could go on the list...

Sal 

Ex-staff

41 minutes ago, Allegra said:

Yeah having read through everything here I'll throw my lot in with the "SA = California" view. Hopefully the results of the poll will be taken into consideration. Also I took a look at "another community" which has an entire section dedicated to continuity/lore, and an individual who is basically responsible for maintaining and updating it. There's also a very open Q/A thread, and suggestions seem to be taken into account, so this sort of thing would be nice to implement here.

Think someone else made a fair point earlier regarding the fact that this is the sort of stuff we can proactively sort out before the server launches. I wonder what else could go on the list...

A continuity and lore team would certainly rid us of doubts, but compared to the other place's team it should be community-driven and have us, the players, be involved actively in the lore building, not just a bunch of admins.

Edited by melt city

Having played LSRP on and off between 2009-2021, not once did I see anyone roleplaying San Andreas as an island. In fact, I was in Valenti when we (and a few other official  factions at the time) roleplayed San Andreas as California and Los Santos as Los Angeles until it was disallowed some time around 2014. Ever since then, everyone roleplayed San Andreas as replacing California and Los Santos as replacing Los Angeles; I do believe this is the correct approach. The island approach makes no sense if LSRP wants to maintain its reputation as a heavy roleplay server for the numerous reasons that have already been brought up.

The fact that the server was supposed to launch a few days ago (and a few months ago before that) and this hasn't been decided upon yet is bizarre to say the least. You would think the lore would be one of the first things nailed down so that players could plan their factions in accordance. A fancy script and the LSRP name will only get you so far. 

Shit like this is exactly why myself and many other longtime players have no intention of ever returning.

Edited by Busato

9 hours ago, melt city said:

A continuity and lore team would certainly rid us of doubts, but compared to the other place's team it should be community-driven and have us, the players, be involved actively in the lore building, not just a bunch of admins.

This is a good point. I didn't want to raise it initially so as not to take this thread too far from OT but yes, the lore team over there is a complete mess, basically a joke. I like the idea of it in theory so as not to have everybody going around doing their own thing but it needs to be done correctly and decisions need to made in accordance with community consensus. Based on this topic I don't have high hopes for this but we'll see I guess.

• Thumbs 1

13 hours ago, JJDAOPP said:

No. Los Santos is a lore version of Los Angeles. San Andreas is the lore version of California. Even the developers of Rockstar/GTA V stated it. Why is there a need for this to be an island it wouldn't be connected? That breaks the lore, even knowing that Los Angeles can be driven to. If Los Santos is Los Angeles, reason for an island is? It isn't Hawaii.

should be roleplay northern SA as NorCal and southern LS as SoCal. It's really that simple

• Love 1

• 1 year later...
  • Senior Lead Admin

Inactive.

Head of Staff
𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚒𝚗 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚜𝚎 𝚙𝚒𝚝𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎, 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚖𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚊𝚕𝚠𝚊𝚢𝚜

• Nature locked this topic