San Andreas and California co-existing? (LSRP Lore)

xander11

San Andreas and California co-existing? (LSRP Lore)  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer between these two variants?

• Los Santos is actually Los Angeles, and San Andreas replaces the state of California.
    • San Andreas is an island, co-existing with California which is a different state, and Los Santos and Los Angeles are two separate cities.

1 hour ago, Tens & Twenties said:

I've always subconsciously acknowledged that San Andreas is a replacement for the state of California. For me it's too weird to see Los Angeles co-existing with Los Santos within the same lore together, they are obviously the same place in essence as the latter was meant to parody Los Angeles.

We should just go with Los Santos replacing Los Angeles, with Vegas and San Francisco staying the way they are, given the fact that the HD universe is entirely different compared to the 3D one. Some might agree with this but even so, there will undoubtedly be people roleplaying otherwise— which is why there is a dire need for the establishment of lore continuity through the faction team and the community as a whole so everyone can be on the same page.

Here's what I had in mind so far:

JQGDCQN.png

This is more or less just a rough conceptual representation.

I agree. I didn't like how people replaced Miami with Vice City and NYC with Liberty City on GTA:W when it isn't necessary and just breaks immersion in game.

There is literally no argument for roleplaying San Andreas as an island that outweighs the negatives it'll bring. So what if you can't drive north up to San Francisco because the map is an island? How does that actually affect you or your character? It's just a weird game limitation that needs to be ignored and worked around. 

This map looks good as a reference point.

Edited by r0yal
  • Thumbs 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, trouble.maker said:

theres no need to portray it as an island whatsoever. as the GTA V wiki says:

The GTA V map is a small portion of the State of San Andreas, It's in the fact the southern-most tip. There are multiple other cities in the state of San Andreas and to assume that the entire state is the playable map is stupid. Management needs to make an official ruling, but I personally and most other people I've talked will not be role-playing the existance of California, or that San Anne is an island.

The point I was making was to try and meet somewhere in the middle of the two opposing arguments. 

Yes it would be dumb to have San Andreas be separate from California, I wholeheartedly agree. But are we supposed to roleplay when you're stood at the edge of the map that there is land there instead of water? 

Regardless of which people choose to roleplay, it wouldn't actually make any difference to the actual roleplay produced. 

Edited by RGelfuso

We will be adding a new wiki book called 'Lore' and add the 'San Andreas' and 'Los Santos' lore to it, so that no one will be confused as to what to roleplay. We will under no circumstances be roleplaying a bridge connecting us to the mainland. This is due to the fact that we do not have a bridge on the physical map in-game that connects us to the main land, and we will not be mapping one. Therefore, we are defined as an island. More information will come when the wiki page launches on wiki.ls-rp.com.

Of course the lead team will take the comments here into consideration when writing the lore, so feel free to post still if you have anything to say that you feel is important should be mentioned in the lore book.

22 minutes ago, Ben said:

We will be adding a new wiki book called 'Lore' and add the 'San Andreas' and 'Los Santos' lore to it, so that no one will be confused as to what to roleplay. We will under no circumstances be roleplaying a bridge connecting us to the mainland. This is due to the fact that we do not have a bridge on the physical map in-game that connects us to the main land, and we will not be mapping one. Therefore, we are defined as an island. More information will come when the wiki page launches on wiki.ls-rp.com.

Of course the lead team will take the comments here into consideration when writing the lore, so feel free to post still if you have anything to say that you feel is important should be mentioned in the lore book.

I mean you didn't really clarify anything. If per server lore the entire state is considered an island, will you guys at least acknowledge that it replaces California/Southern California. 

17 hours ago, Ben said:

In all seriousness from my previous reply, I understand that you may want to show that server management has a backbone and are confident in their decisions that they feel are right for the server, but this is not the right hill to die on.

Scroll up and look at the overwhelming support for the opposite of what you've just said. You are literally looking at killing the server before its release. As I said in one of my previous replies here, I don't understand why you are adamant with that option when you haven't roleplayed properly in years. Let the community members vote, let the faction team (who as far as I know oppose this decision) vote and come to conclusion how they want THEIR continuity on the server THEY will play on turn out.

This is not just my extreme view take on this, but I am sure 90% of the community agree with me on this take. Listen to the people who will actually play than yourself who will be tirelessly working on the server ensuring it flourishes from the backstage.

Edited by Aaron
  • Thumbs 2
  • Strong 1
  • Love 2

I believe the vote shows an overwhelming majority choosing for the first option, it replacing California. I'm personally not sure what Ben's reply answers when it comes to what we are roleplaying, other than that we are an island. 

Without all the political talk, I'd like to just see an answer with ''we are replacing California'' or ''we are not replacing California''. 

Just now, Tseard1 said:

I believe the vote shows an overwhelming majority choosing for the first option, it replacing California. I'm personally not sure what Ben's reply answers when it comes to what we are roleplaying, other than that we are an island. 

Without all the political talk, I'd like to just see an answer with ''we are replacing California'' or ''we are not replacing California''. 

Yeah from my understanding, the confirmation is that it's an island (though I understand many people don't seem to be massively fond of that idea from reading back). The answer on replacement of California or not isn't clear yet - perhaps it's not been decided yet? 

Sal 

Ex-staff

20 hours ago, Ben said:

Agregaremos un nuevo libro wiki llamado 'Tradición' y le agregaremos la tradición de 'San Andreas' y 'Los Santos', para que nadie se confunda sobre qué interpretar. Bajo ninguna circunstancia representaremos un puente que nos conecta con el continente. Esto se debe al hecho de que no tenemos un puente en el mapa físico del juego que nos conecte con la tierra firme, y no vamos a mapear uno. Por lo tanto, nos definen como una isla. Habrá más información cuando se lance la página wiki en wiki.ls-rp.com .

Por supuesto, el equipo líder tendrá en cuenta los comentarios aquí al escribir la historia, así que siéntase libre de publicar si tiene algo que decir que considere importante que deba mencionarse en el libro de historia.

thanks

What seems to be misunderstood is that this isn’t a new concept. For example, illegal factions on SA-MP were roleplaying off-map prisons. Legal factions were roleplaying off-map facilities and stations. These don’t exist in game, but its unrealistic and extremely shallow to roleplay being a seven mile long island inhabited by hundreds of people in what is meant to give off the illusion of a sprawling metropolis. Roleplay standards have changed dramatically and this argument simply doesn’t hold up anymore.

The mindset that “if it doesn’t exist in game, it can’t be RPed” is outdated, invalid and essentially goes against everything that most people have roleplayed in the past few years. It makes no sense that one of the biggest population centers in the country wouldn’t have any bridges linking it to the mainland. 

Edited by CloutToken

i'm both amazed and baffled that this argument didn't die in 2016.

i'll reiterate, most of us will not be roleplaying San Andreas as an island. I really do not see why this has come up. What is even the benefit of it? Who wants this?

this isn't even a murky "everyone has their own opinion" issue like many of the things that need a ruling are. There's literally numbers right there. A more than 10:1 ratio of people who do not support this.

and on top of all that, this looks like we're starting off before the server has even launched with an unpopular ruling, in which the views of the community are not being considered. This is a terrible precedent to be starting with.

Edited by largehazard
  • Clap 1
  • Thumbs 2
  • Strong 1

concerning that the wishes of the community's being ignored, majority of the community do not want san andreas to be defined as an island

like ^ said, how do we benefit from this decision? like, what's the point of it?

is los santos a bootleg los angeles? do we ignore the state of california that's supposed to be san andreas? how do we go forward ic with the decision that san andreas is an island?

On 2/24/2022 at 8:27 PM, Ben said:

We will under no circumstances be roleplaying a bridge connecting us to the mainland. This is due to the fact that we do not have a bridge on the physical map in-game that connects us to the main land, and we will not be mapping one. Therefore, we are defined as an island. 

I'm sorry but it's not possible. This is very wrong. It is going to complicate things ICly..

How are you supposed to role play San Andreas being an island?

What about the factions role playing as MCs up in the map?

Are they supposed to be MCs on an island? (I'm sure other people would have better questions related to the illegal scene).

What about Nevada, AZ, TX? So if it's an island, where is it exactly?

Is Mexico still the closest country to San Andreas (Which is CA)?

Or is San Andreas a hidden island somewhere in the Pacific Ocean?

Is this island even still in the West C?

What're the politics of this island? Is it even a state?

Are we going to also RP as if USA has 51 states and not 50 now?

Or is it gonna be like Puerto Rico? If it is, are we even supposed to be voting, as citizens of such island?

Alright, let's say you have all the answers for these questions. 

Does this island also, by coincidence, happen to have the same structure, streets, buildings, gangs, and races..etc as California?

Or are we going to neglect the existence of California and RP San Andreas as an island at the same time?

The people who made the game made San Andreas map like California, there is no other way. 

Edited by Bundaloo
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, largehazard said:

i'm both amazed and baffled that this argument didn't die in 2016.

i'll reiterate, most of us will not be roleplaying San Andreas as an island. I really do not see why this has come up. What is even the benefit of it? Who wants this?

this isn't even a murky "everyone has their own opinion" issue like many of the things that need a ruling are. There's literally numbers right there. A more than 10:1 ratio of people who do not support this.

and on top of all that, this looks like we're starting off before the server has even launched with an unpopular ruling, in which the views of the community are not being considered. This is a terrible precedent to be starting with.

Well said.

What's the point of this? The community has clearly voted and chose their stance and they're going to roleplay it regardless of what the 'official' lore says anyway.

San Andreas as California just makes way more sense.

I hear your arguments and will of course bring them up when we have an internal leadership discussion regarding the lore before we launch the server. For those of you who fear that we do not see you; I assure you that we do see you. I think you do bring up some good points, however, we have roleplayed San Andreas on SAMP being its own lore and own island since 2007-2020, and had no major issues with it.

Of course a new server launch gives us the ability to reflect on whether we could improve, and perhaps you are right, we do need to change the way we look at SA and CA. As I said on my previous post, you are free to keep posting here with your points of view on the lore so that we can take that into consideration. Have a great day all!

I know the developers are extremely busy with finalizing the server, so I exclude them from this request:

I'd like to see all other members of the management team involved in these 'lore' decisions engage with the public in a live Q&A to answer questionings surrounding not only this, but in regards to everything else that directly correlated to it.

A discussion in real time while everyone awaits the release would show engagement and help us understand the thought process behind these decisions that effectively ruins our experience. There is an overwhelming majority voting against this, yet there is still no movement on it.

"There is no bridge so there is no connection to the mainland" is a decision that directly contradicts what it is to be a heavy roleplay server.

There is no direct flights but we still roleplay going on vacation when we're inactive.

There is no prison to separate male and female inmates, yet people refuse to roleplay it as a shared facility.

I don't think the management should be setting this precedent, wherein they take things quite literally. It shows a lack of understanding.

Additionally, to address Bennemus' comment above:

I have been roleplaying on this server from 2007 and never has it been roleplayed as an individual "island" since around 2015, before the server started to focus on realism. San Andreas has ALWAYS replaced California. I don't know where this analogy is coming from.

The existence of California has never been acknowledged throughout the course of LSRPs existence.

Edited by Chuckles
  • Thumbs 3

• Nature locked this topic