Character Creator UX

stringer

• Developer

Hey,

Today everyone got access to the character editor, and after trying it I feel like the user experience leaves a lot of space for improvement, for example:

• Selecting heritage is very hard, the popup menu feels clunky and the fact that there is no displayed parent ID, you have to manually count them and hope you get it right. Would be nice to have the parent IDs displayed
  • Eyebrow and Hair color are tied together, they should be separate to allow people to have different colored eyebrows and hair.
  • The sliders on the face attributes are a bit hard to use and they jump in increments of 0.1. The GTAV customization allows for values between -1.0 and 1.0, so it would be nice if we had like a small input box where we could manually input these values, like 0.64, etc.

This is what I could think of about the character creation system, what do you guys think about it?

• Clap 1
  • Thumbs 1

i don't know why mmartin is so reluctant to add skin mixing and more customizable options like ped skins. like if you've watched his stream he keeps saying there's more than enough variation already but if you've played gta 5 rp for longer than an hour you'll know that isnt the case at all

for example the asian tones are either green or homer simpson yellow. they look awful. the ability to mix is needed + not having parent names in the UI sucks cuz people generally make their character from a select few which look good

Edited by yekim
  • Thumbs 1

• Lead Admin

It's not being reluctant, it's knowing what is needed for launch. Right now the main priority is to make the server playable, if we start adding other ways into making a character it means things will be delayed and ultimately won't be playable on the date set.

Once the server launch is over and done with and a few weeks down the line to flatten any bugs that might occur, the development team will start adding to the server and start listening to suggestions.

Right now everyone can make a character that looks different from the rest, so it's not exactly a urgent priority.

• Thumbs 3
  • Strong 1

SHERIFF KENNETH J. LAROSA

7 hours ago, jack said:

it's not exactly a urgent priority

I'd argue that having the character creator fleshed out and working well is very important. For many people this is the first impression given of what LSRP will be when it releases, since this is the first time people have been able to really interact with the script in any meaningful way. My first impression was not great, seeing as how the sliders are bad to control at best. Not to mention the missing features regarding skin tone mixing and other things brought up in the thread. 

Mixing skin tones is a big part of getting your character to look right, and some people put hours into making their characters look just the way they want. So, I would say this is an urgent priority, unless there will be some way to change our character's facial features after launch.

• Thumbs 4

The design choice behind this character creator is aesthetically pretty nice, but I really miss some key options.

Using values for face attributes, -1.0 to 1.0 would have been a great function to have, and would make it lots easier for people to import character attributes from different platforms and servers.
Mixing skin tones between parents is a must, it adds variation. This missing out is a huge deal.

The location you have to create your character on, I think this depends on server time but it's annoying when the sun is shining in your characters face in game while you're editing them, this makes it harder to see some attributes, I rather see this moved into a interior.

I hope we get the option to edit our character anytime, since everyone makes mistakes in their initial creation and might not be happy with their decisions, also when aging up ICly it's best that we can edit our characters futhermore to visually appear older as well.

The above comment from @.Bauer. is right, this character creator is a first impression and right now it lacks basic features, people indeed spend hours on their character till they're pleased.

Eyebrow and Hair color are tied together, they should be separate to allow people to have different colored eyebrows and hair.

This.

Also I'd like to point out that female customization is way too lacking right now, specially considering the limited hairstyle options.

• Clap 1

16 hours ago, jack said:

It's not being reluctant, it's knowing what is needed for launch. Right now the main priority is to make the server playable, if we start adding other ways into making a character it means things will be delayed and ultimately won't be playable on the date set.

Once the server launch is over and done with and a few weeks down the line to flatten any bugs that might occur, the development team will start adding to the server and start listening to suggestions.

Right now everyone can make a character that looks different from the rest, so it's not exactly a urgent priority.

You've had over a year to add skin mixing which is default to the game.