Quiz Difficulty

playbizzle

Not too sure about all of you, but it was way too easy to get into the server in my opinion. The questions weren't that challenging and the writing portion from what I've been hearing is only 2-3 paragraphs. I'm not sure if that was the intent, but I'm expecting a lot of unexperienced roleplayers and trolls on launch. Someone had mentioned in the Black Car discord that it would only seem easy to those who've been actively playing text-based roleplay, so I tasked my girlfriend with applying. She's never roleplayed before, but is interested in it so I told her to apply so she could create her character on the 20th. She ended up passing the quiz and getting a character accepted without reading the rules nor even roleplaying ever before. Seems kind of scary to think of that in my head considering Mmartin announced there were over 1,000 applications within the first day. Any thoughts or is this just an attempt to draw in new players and provide them with the resources on a whim that they become ideal roleplayers?

You've got a smart girlfriend! The quiz isn't designed to fail you, nor is it designed to trick you. While this is feedback that we appreciate, we do not share the same concerns for the quality of those getting into the server, and we have a strong and capable staff team to handle these issues as they arise.

The background stories are read and reconciled by Staff manually. If you've passed the test and are approved in your character background story, we can't wait to see you in-game :). 

• OK 1

1 minute ago, Drew said:

You've got a smart girlfriend! The quiz isn't designed to fail you, nor is it designed to trick you. While this is feedback that we appreciate, we do not share the same concerns for the quality of those getting into the server, and we have a strong and capable staff team to handle these issues as they arise.

The background stories are read and reconciled by Staff manually. If you've passed the test and are approved in your character background story, we can't wait to see you in-game :). 

Makes sense, I'm looking forward to seeing some new faces around here.

• Love 1

Hello, 

Besides what Drew said, I'd add that the quiz is intended to check if the applicant has the proper mind-set in terms of common courtesy and community rules. Maybe most of the questions your beloved has received were based mostly on common courtesy. As per the background story, if it can be seen as real, it's eligible for a pass.

ga

I don't think that making people type a short response question is really gonna prove if they're a good rper or not and the current quiz at least makes sure they have the basic knowledge, and it also teaches people some of the standards in the rules. 

• Thumbs 1

I think it is good as it is. As others said, the quiz isn't made to trick you nor anything like that, but to at least see if the applicant has a proper mind-set. We need to consider that between people who have been roleplaying for years, there's also people who never roleplayed and are willing to have this experience and they need to at least have some direction on how things works and the rules, everything else will come with experience. In my opinion, older and experienced roleplayers should be the ones to direct new ones with their experience whenever it's possible. 

The ones who are coming to troll or whatever will be banned or dealt right away, but for those who're starting, it's a good start.

I wonder, what kind of questions would you like to see more or how would you phrase them? @playbizzle. I can understand your point of view that it looks rather easy but they do kind of cover the basic stuff that people should be aware of. And I believe the intention of the quiz is to ensure people understand the basics. 

• Thumbs 1

1 hour ago, Tseard1 said:

I wonder, what kind of questions would you like to see more or how would you phrase them? @playbizzle. I can understand your point of view that it looks rather easy but they do kind of cover the basic stuff that people should be aware of. And I believe the intention of the quiz is to ensure people understand the basics. 

I'm not against anything, I was just asking a question but in regards to your question family, I was expecting some more long answer questions. I know it pushes away people from applying due to the amount of time it takes to submit an application and then wait for a result, but I found that it weened out majority of the trolls and terrible roleplayers. I'm not entirely sure if this approach is going to benefit nor harm the server, but with what Drew said I feel like this will give inexperienced roleplayers a chance at joining a community that houses some pretty extensive/serious roleplay. The quiz process does cover some of the basics of roleplay while ensuring that the individual is roleplay minded instead of play to win though, you're not wrong.

I personally didn't found it easy as per everyone saying, it took me 2 days and half for the quiz and for the app I passed after 3rd app cause story wasn't good enough. I don't know it might be only me cause I stopped roleplaying for awhile? Possibly :shrug:

Tyler Reed - Department of Public Works & Transportation (Gov)

4 hours ago, playbizzle said:

She ended up passing the quiz and getting a character accepted without reading the rules nor even roleplaying ever before.

I find this extremely hard to believe. Multiple questions make use of terms exclusive to roleplaying or LSRP's own robbery rules and she knew what they all were?

I found it incredibly easy, getting every question correct, however I think you're exaggerating a little bit or just lying

Edited by Bluman

Should have seen the discord/mmartin stream that day. There were dudes 100% struggling with it and getting 10 or 15 answers wrong. Honestly I don't think it matters that much, we used to have the questions you had to answer IIRC and half of it was complete bullshit like having to reword rules which was more annoying than hard, and we had plenty of DMers and dudes who could barely roleplay anyway due to people sharing answers/it being available online. I can def see why you'd be concerned though.

Story requirements were fine too imo. I don't want to have to write a novel to get on the server, especially if your character is young there really just isn't that much to say that's relevant, the point is making your own story on the server.

• Clap 1
  • Thumbs 1

9 minutes ago, Bluman said:

I find this extremely hard to believe. Multiple questions make use of terms exclusive to roleplaying or LSRP's own robbery rules and she knew what they all were?

I found it incredibly easy, getting every question correct, however I think you're exaggerating a little bit or just lying

Bold claims for someone who found the application easy as well. Perhaps you could say my girlfriend has an advantage in situations like these because she's quite the experienced writer and she has a good grasp on common sense. You're more than welcome to hit me up on discord, because I didn't believe her either, she explained why she chose what answers to me in person, and through pure common sense, she made it through just fine. Lets assume she got it wrong, she's got a 1/4 chance of figuring it out and 2 of the options are completely out of lunch to anybody, LSRP player or not. I'll try experimenting and send the UCP to some other friends too, just to see if they can replicate the success.

Edited by playbizzle

4 hours ago, Bluman said:

Obviously he is lying, roleplayers dont have girlfriends...

seriously though you hit the nail on the head, how does she know what level you have to be to rob/scam, how many deputies need to be on to start an inmate on inmate fight etc etc. There are questions you cant possibly know without having looked at the rules at least once.

• Clap 1

I think for some it will obviously be quite easy. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing either. If you can do the quiz easily and get into the server, then you have answered 35 questions (or whatever the threshold is) right. All of the questions aren't super in-depth but they aren't obvious either. It is a good balance to get players to read the rules of the community for a reference point and it will force people to go through each section of the rules if they cannot get in. If someone gets through by sheer luck, they will be dealt with if/when they break the rules in the server.

On 2/16/2022 at 8:40 PM, Knobi said:

Obviously he is lying, roleplayers dont have girlfriends...

seriously though you hit the nail on the head, how does she know what level you have to be to rob/scam, how many deputies need to be on to start an inmate on inmate fight etc etc. There are questions you cant possibly know without having looked at the rules at least once.

She assumed 5 to scam which is a 1/4 guess, correct. And for the inmate thing, her reasoning was and I quote, "if you two are fighting one on one then there has to be as many guards as fighters." If you really think that you can't get through the quiz which only asks for two specific "LSRP" rules, then you're gladly mistaken.

Edited by playbizzle

who cares if inexperienced players join the server? the whole lsrp being a safe haven for cracked rpers is what partly ran it into the ground in the first place. i mean i distinctly remember some of the most renowned factions helping out noobs by putting them on the right path. ec, pec1 and even some of the LCNs (which many people looked up to) let noobs develop through interactions with their factions

and id say the majority of DM stems from disgruntled and bored players, rather than inexperienced ones. filtering them out through an application process is next 2 impossible so we should just let staff do their thing and punish anyone who runs around breaking the immersion. erring on the side of caution isnt always the best move. iirc back in the day we (as testers) were told that the application and quiz process is less about culling noobs and more about removing bad actors - players who ban evade, have a history of rule breaking and want to intentionally ruin the experience of others

Edited by yekim
  • Thumbs 6

28 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Is there a cooldown after failing the quiz? I've no clue cause I passed the first time. If there isn't, perhaps you could add 30 minute cooldown before each try to ensure that the players actually go and read the rules. 

No, as soon as you failed you can retake the test. (speaking from experience 👀)

• Jerome locked this topic