Hospital Roleplay and You

Ryan

46 minutes ago, Fiendfyre said:

If someone on the server wants to open their own private clinic - is FD as a faction going to object?

Any private clinic being introduced to the server will need to go through some other scheme, such as a faction or company scheme. Which will need to be met with approval by the appropriate LS-RP Staff members. The hospital sub-faction has been put into place as a direct request from Server Management. It would ultimately be up to them on whether such private clinics could open or not. The LSFD has no say in which factions or companies can or cannot open.

• Thumbs 1

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Fiendfyre said:

Y'all gonna have a psych ward? 

I'd like to eventually, yes. Right now, we have a number of specialties and more focused fellowships ready for members to participate in. One of those is Clinical Psychiatry, but there are currently no people in that specialty. Those who join or transfer can decide to focus on psychiatry.

8 hours ago, Fiendfyre said:

Also - why the decision to to private instead of a county hospital? 

As for point two, I decided to go with private hospital for a few reasons. First, my personal knowledge of and limited experience with hospitals in Los Angeles are Cedars-Sinai and Keck USC. Lacking a university to attach the hospital to, I decided to model the faction after the former. I have even less knowledge about public hospitals in LA. Second, it reiterates the point that we are fully independent from the LSFD on an in-character level. State-run hospital under the LSFD faction can perhaps blur that line. Third, all of the best hospitals in the greater Los Angeles area are private hospitals. Even those associated with University of California medical schools have private institutions (UCLA Ronald Reagan is private, Olive View-UCLA and Harbor-UCLA are public; UCI Medical Center seems to be private).

Edited by Ryan
  • Clap 1

16 hours ago, LordSpyx said:

Private vs Public:

Reveal hidden contents

"What is the Difference Between a Public and Private Hospital?

A hospital can be a public or private institution, depending on how it is governed. If you would like to work in a healthcare setting and you are trying to differentiate between each of the hospitals that you can apply to, it is important to learn how care standards and settings can vary based on how the facility is managed and how it is controlled. Once you are able to identify the pros and cons of working in each of the hospitals, you will be equipped to decide if you want to be employed by a body controlled privately or publicly.

How Hospitals that Are Governed Publicly Operate

Any hospital that is said to be governed publicly is fully funded by the government and operates solely off of money that is collected from taxpayers to fund healthcare initiatives. Since the equipment, salaries, construction of new facilities, and prescriptions is paid for from a budget set by the local government, administrators will stay on top of spending and offer a limited set of services. Since costs tend to be lower in publicly operated hospitals, it is the best option for those who have restrictive insurance or who are not wealthy and able to pay for their healthcare out of pocket.

How Hospitals that Are Governed Privately Operate

Privately owned hospitals are funded and operated by the owner which is typically a group or an individual person. The owner of the facility will be in charge of setting the budget, managing finances, and ensuring compliance with strict municipal code, state law and federal regulations. The owner will also recruit staff, draft contracts with doctors, purchase the equipment, invest in maintenance, and control the services provided.

Private hospitals tend to be the preferred choice because they are not as limited in their budget and are known for quality service in which patients receive individual care and attention. Patients also do not have to spend long periods waiting to be seen because the number of patients per doctor is low. The cost of services in these settings tends to be much higher and attracts more a more affluent set of patients."

Source - https://www.healthcare-administration-degree.net/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-a-public-and-private-hospital/

The only difference is insurance of the customer and how the hospital is set to work. You cannot force someone to go to the hospital if they do not want to go, and those who are unconscious and being transported, I'm sure would rather be alive and have a higher bill than to just be left to die because we stopped to check their pockets for insurance cards and which hospitals would be better.

I will reiterate: hospital is overseen by LSFD Rank 1 on an OOC level only. This is per Management's request. We do not work directly with them or have any association with them on an in-character level. This was to avoid having to re-script an entirely new faction at launch, and to make sure they have a proper structure. This is to provide hospital roleplay without having to take time away from FD, who are not qualified to be doctors or nurses. FD can focus on pre-hospital care and firefighting, while the hospital staff takes over the roleplay from the hospital.

Any connection between the two is strictly OOC.

We as LSFD will not be employing nurse practitioners. We are focusing on Firefighter-EMT and Firefighter-Paramedics. We are responsible for pre-hospital care. Per policy, as Ryan stated, we go to the nearest hospital unless the patient is not in critical condition and can give a preference. You cannot be a medic without being a firefighter, as we are the Fire Department.

There are many privately owned hospitals. Some departments don't even transport patients, they treat them and then have the hospital's ambulances come and pick them up. This isn't the case for LAFD, but they aren't going to not transport a critically injured person to a hospital because it's privately owned and not public. You can't just simply open a hospital without going through a strict qualification system. (Unless you're running it out of your basement illegally).

It takes a hot minute to construct a hospital of that size, and you need to meet all of the requirements, have all of the certifications, the money, etc.

We don't charge for ambulance rides to the hospital, and once they're in the care of the hospital, it's between them and hospital staff for billing. We do not charge for pre-hospital care as the fire department. How the billing and everything else works has zero to do with us.

Appreciate the response, cleared up my concerns!

• OK 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was a physician (with retired status on SA-MP LSFD forums) but I recall it being extremely monotonous due to no variety in injuries or illnesses being presented. It was always GSWs and 5150s. It got very mundane quickly. What are your proposals to retain physicians?

Admittedly, I did not pay attention to the system beyond 2011, but you could not roleplay a private physician during my era as they were no means to register as a private physician and be accepted as a practising medical professional. In fact, I recall LSFD sending LSSD members to my private clinic in Flint Range. I ended up being arrested and as a result received a criminal record. As you can imagine, this experience was infuriating on an IC and OOC level. Are you going to address this and have a registration system for non-LSFD employed physicians?

Edited by LukeT

54 minutes ago, Arivere said:

How would someone go abouts applying for a position at the hospital?

There's information here (on the LSFD forums) about that!

I will elaborate a little bit. We want to follow a realistic system, but there are a few constraints. There are no medical schools in-game (the last two years of med school are typically spent doing rounds in hospitals), so we simply ask that you RP that your character is in the 4th year of medical school and ready to apply for residencies. Now, you apply for residency through the AAMC - we roleplay that the application will be sent through that system. If you apply and are accepted, you will be asked to do an in-game interview. After that, you will do an examination and then training session before joining our staff. Those last few steps are for the sake of making sure you know how to some medical RP (at least according to the guides we provide) and do not reflect a realistic path toward residency.

43 minutes ago, LukeT said:

I was a physician (with retired status on SA-MP LSFD forums) but I recall it being extremely monotonous due to no variety in injuries or illnesses being presented. It was always GSWs and 5150s. It got very mundane quickly. What are your proposals to retain physicians?

Admittedly, I did not pay attention to the system beyond 2011, but you could not roleplay a private physician during my era as they were no means to register as a private physician and be accepted as a practising medical professional. In fact, I recall LSFD sending LSSD members to my private clinic in Flint Range. I ended up being arrested and as a result received a criminal record. As you can imagine, this experience was infuriating on an IC and OOC level. Are you going to address this and have a registration system for non-LSFD employed physicians?

Yes, roleplaying a doctor was monotonous at times. I was not around in 2011, but some of the same problems existed in 2014 and beyond. A few things that I can say are that (1) creating new locations/interiors for roleplay were amazing for boosting our RP. We won't directly control this point, it requires the grace of the developers. When we redid ASGH (both times), it boosted RP. The chance for normal "domestic" RP, sharing camaraderie with fellow staff members, is facilitated by this as well. When we opened the pathology center, we packed that place with normal medical RP (check-ups, STD checks, blood tests, infections, minor injuries). (2) Hosting events creates RP. We had a fundraiser for cancer, for example, that allowed some white collar RP opportunities for our staff beyond just medical RP. Hosting other events like blood drives boosted fun competition among the legal factions and gave us new opportunities for RP. Advertising vaccination clinics or check-ups also brought in many players. (3) We need an interested player base. This point goes for both staff and for patients. If people don't want to do hospital RP (pre-hospital is mundane enough for some), not much we can do about that; however, if we advertise ourselves and have nice locations to RP in, we can have some fun.

We will not control registration with non-LSFD physicians. Becoming a doctor is through the state, so the city faction should not have any interaction with that either. As LordSpyx explained above:

On 2/12/2022 at 3:05 PM, LordSpyx said:

Any private clinic being introduced to the server will need to go through some other scheme, such as a faction or company scheme. Which will need to be met with approval by the appropriate LS-RP Staff members. The hospital sub-faction has been put into place as a direct request from Server Management. It would ultimately be up to them on whether such private clinics could open or not. The LSFD has no say in which factions or companies can or cannot open.

• OK 1

45 minutes ago, Ryan said:

There's information here (on the LSFD forums) about that!

I will elaborate a little bit. We want to follow a realistic system, but there are a few constraints. There are no medical schools in-game (the last two years of med school are typically spent doing rounds in hospitals), so we simply ask that you RP that your character is in the 4th year of medical school and ready to apply for residencies. Now, you apply for residency through the AAMC - we roleplay that the application will be sent through that system. If you apply and are accepted, you will be asked to do an in-game interview. After that, you will do an examination and then training session before joining our staff. Those last few steps are for the sake of making sure you know how to some medical RP (at least according to the guides we provide) and do not reflect a realistic path toward residency.

Yes, roleplaying a doctor was monotonous at times. I was not around in 2011, but some of the same problems existed in 2014 and beyond. A few things that I can say are that (1) creating new locations/interiors for roleplay were amazing for boosting our RP. We won't directly control this point, it requires the grace of the developers. When we redid ASGH (both times), it boosted RP. The chance for normal "domestic" RP, sharing camaraderie with fellow staff members, is facilitated by this as well. When we opened the pathology center, we packed that place with normal medical RP (check-ups, STD checks, blood tests, infections, minor injuries). (2) Hosting events creates RP. We had a fundraiser for cancer, for example, that allowed some white collar RP opportunities for our staff beyond just medical RP. Hosting other events like blood drives boosted fun competition among the legal factions and gave us new opportunities for RP. Advertising vaccination clinics or check-ups also brought in many players. (3) We need an interested player base. This point goes for both staff and for patients. If people don't want to do hospital RP (pre-hospital is mundane enough for some), not much we can do about that; however, if we advertise ourselves and have nice locations to RP in, we can have some fun.

We will not control registration with non-LSFD physicians. Becoming a doctor is through the state, so the city faction should not have any interaction with that either. As LordSpyx explained above:

I was hoping to apply as a Nurse, as I prefer that type of RP over being a full blown doctor.

2 minutes ago, Arivere said:

I was hoping to apply as a Nurse, as I prefer that type of RP over being a full blown doctor.

Once we gauge the server's general interest in the faction, we'll see how to expand next. If there's enough interest in people joining the faction, then we may open it up to nurses, but there are no plans or timeline to do that at this point.

Don't fear roleplaying as a doctor. We have detailed guides on what to do in the situations you'll see. For those interested in more depth, we're also writing specific guides on specialties as well. But, there is no required outside knowledge you'll need to bring in.

I'd definitely encourage you to apply as a Resident Physician!

58 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Once we gauge the server's general interest in the faction, we'll see how to expand next. If there's enough interest in people joining the faction, then we may open it up to nurses, but there are no plans or timeline to do that at this point.

Don't fear roleplaying as a doctor. We have detailed guides on what to do in the situations you'll see. For those interested in more depth, we're also writing specific guides on specialties as well. But, there is no required outside knowledge you'll need to bring in.

I'd definitely encourage you to apply as a Resident Physician!

Alright, I did it! I must say I am not too familiar with most of the stuff on the app, but I did as much homework on it as I could xD

22 minutes ago, Arivere said:

Alright, I did it! I must say I am not too familiar with most of the stuff on the app, but I did as much homework on it as I could xD

I'm glad that you're interested in applying, but our recruitment is not open yet! Still have a few more things to finalize 🙂

Do apply when we open recruitment, though!

I'm pretty happy to see that this is coming back. I really missed actual hospital role-play back on SA-MP when LS-RP had in-game doctors, nurses, a pharmacy & more. Wish you guys the best of luck and do your best to keep this moving.

• Love 1

𝗥𝗲𝘁𝗶𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗚𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗔𝗱𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗼𝗿

51 minutes ago, Biskit said:

I'm pretty happy to see that this is coming back. I really missed actual hospital role-play back on SA-MP when LS-RP had in-game doctors, nurses, a pharmacy & more. Wish you guys the best of luck and do your best to keep this moving.

Same! So excited for this to start up again.

• Love 1

Are there any scripts for it done? I know cops probably have a lot of stuff to do their own jobs, but I wonder if there will be things that make surgeries more interact for doctors. A database system for the hospital to log visits and medical history.

1 hour ago, Arivere said:

Are there any scripts for it done? I know cops probably have a lot of stuff to do their own jobs, but I wonder if there will be things that make surgeries more interact for doctors. A database system for the hospital to log visits and medical history.

Yes, there's an MDC system that allows us to track prescriptions and patient histories.

• 1 year later...