Hospital Roleplay and You

Ryan

As you may remember, on the SA-MP Server, there was an opportunity to roleplay with hospital staff at All Saints, County General, and some other locations as time went on. I'm happy to say that this type of roleplay will be carried over to the GTA V server. Here is what we have determined so far:

• On an in-character basis, we will have a private, independently-run hospital. We're still finalizing which location we will be using in-game.
  • On an out-of-character basis, we will be in the same faction as the LSFD. This set up is to give us access to a stable forum and in-game faction. We are, however, an independent sub-faction within the LSFD and independent of their rank structure.
    • On that note, we're following a somewhat similar format to the LSFD before 2016 which had a two-sector system: (1) EMT/Firefighter and (2) Hospital. However, during that time, the faction allowed for the unrealistic practice of characters who were both firefighters and doctors. That will no longer be the case; instead of two sectors within the LSFD, it is now going to be two factions: the LSFD main faction and the hospital sub-faction, with separate rank structures, leadership, and roleplay locations.
  • We will allow only physician characters to join. Our rank structure essentially follows a realistic medical path: Intern, Resident, (possible, but not necessary promotion:) Chief Resident, (possible, but not necessary promotion:) Fellow, Attending Physician, Deputy Chief of Medicine, and Chief of Medicine.
    • While a Deputy Chief of Medicine rank generally does not exist in real life, we want to be able to assemble a small team for the hospital faction's leadership and maintain the separate supervisory rank of Attending Physician.
    • While the Chief of Medicine is the leader of the hospital faction, only on an OOC basis, the Chief of Medicine answers to the Fire Chief. For in-character purposes, the Chief of Medicine answers to a (non-existent) Board of Directors - basically, a RP name for being answerable to someone above the Chief of Medicine.
    • I will be the Chief of Medicine. I was involved in hospital roleplay off and on between 2014 and 2018 and was in charge of the LSFD's hospital sector and sub-sector for good chunks of time.
  • We have no plans to have ordinary "hospitalist" doctors or nurses at this point. Those will be NPCs for roleplay purposes.
  • We aim to strike a balance between realism and ease of access for players. We are not trained medical professionals in real life. We have a series of guides that were used before (and have now been updated) that I believe puts a fair balance between realism and ease of access for the player base. There is only a small learning curve for those who want to join the faction, but you can join with literally zero knowledge of anatomy and still do just fine as a member of the faction. We have relatively simple guides and a wealth of information for our faction members.
  • The hospital sector was most successful on SA-MP when there were events that brought people into the hospital. This included the disaster events, LSFD-hosted blood drives, fundraisers, or advertisements for general checkups. Excluding disaster events (we obviously have no say on that), we do plan on eventually hosting similar events to draw interest to the faction.

We want to create a faction that is fun for faction members and for general players. In some cases, most of the work that we would do on SA-MP was treating gunshot wounds or handling people begging for medication because they were affected by the script's addiction system. How exactly that trend will change is up to you, the player base: what is it that you want to see from the hospital faction?

If you were previously involved in hospital roleplay on the SA-MP server and are interested in participating, do reach out to me as well!

We also have information on the sort of recruitment we will be doing on the LSFD forums if you are interested in reading more.

• Clap 1
  • Thumbs 2
  • Strong 3
  • Love 2

Hello!

I like the direction you're taking this in tbf, it's reminiscent of how it was a couple of years ago as you say. Also fully, one hundred percent agree that there has to be a balance between making things fun and realistic - I don't think anyone should expect actual trained medical professionals, but I know the old guides were thorough enough to provide a realistic enough experience for everyone.

I think, as with most things, it's best just to see how things go and be flexible too. Agree as well on having events, and encouraging "regular checkups" perhaps like a GP surgery should provide enough RP. Perhaps even a guide on common ailments, showing people that they can easily roleplay having "something" then coming along, getting diagnosed and receiving treatment of some kind? Just thinking out loud here.

Regardless, best of luck with everything, looking forward to seeing y'all in game 😉

Sal 

Ex-staff

I really enjoy your ideas, it will be cool.
Plus, with RageMP we can do a lot of things. Actually it would be nice if the hospital could draw up and send medical reports directly In-Game. A doctor conducts a visit ( after an accident, after a period of rehabilitation, to access to a faction recruitments etc.. ), and suddenly releases a medical report which affirms the conditions of the subject, or perhaps the injuries sustained. This would bring a lot of activity more and a lot of cool scenarios.

it.png  TRAINEE ADMIN MIKEE

• HEAD OF FOREIGN SECTIONS
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF ECONOMY TEAM
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF PLAYER SUPPORT TEAM

10 minutes ago, Mikee said:

Plus, with RageMP we can do a lot of things. Actually it would be nice if the hospital could draw up and send medical reports directly In-Game. A doctor conducts a visit ( after an accident, after a period of rehabilitation, to access to a faction recruitments etc.. ), and suddenly releases a medical report which affirms the conditions of the subject, or perhaps the injuries sustained. This would bring a lot of activity more and a lot of cool scenarios.

So like a medical history? The only issue I'd see with that is that people doing certain things will have those histories flooded - like a cop, they tend to get shot every time they get online.

qgv23wo.png

1 minute ago, Venta said:

So like a medical history? The only issue I'd see with that is that people doing certain things will have those histories flooded - like a cop, they tend to get shot every time they get online.

Yeah, something like a medical history. Yeah, I know what you mean. Well, actually it would update just when you go to the hospital due to several injuries. But not just a medical history, even medical reports that certify physical fitness to access the recruitments for example.

it.png  TRAINEE ADMIN MIKEE

• HEAD OF FOREIGN SECTIONS
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF ECONOMY TEAM
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF PLAYER SUPPORT TEAM

3 minutes ago, Mikee said:

Yeah, something like a medical history. Yeah, I know what you mean. Well, actually it would update just when you go to the hospital due to several injuries. But not just a medical history, even medical reports that certify physical fitness to access the recruitments for example.

We did medical employee check-ups several times back on SAMP, turned out to be fun roleplay for everyone.  Could come along with scripts as narcotics tests etc.

• Thumbs 1

qgv23wo.png

23 minutes ago, mhrhan said:

Idea is cool. But, the problem is, people getting shot frequently (e.g cops and gang rpers) will eventually get bored of this roleplay. Wouldn't it cause minor (or major) issues from your side?

I do remember this being a bit of an issue a couple of years ago; the fact that gun shot wounds were the main cause of hospital inpatients was probably a bit boring and repetitive for the FD staff as well. I think back then, the FD member would essentially PM the player to ask if they wanted a more in-depth or expedited RP experience - this wasn't just for GSWs, it was more of a courtesy because of RL time constraints like people needing to go eat and so on. A realistic process often took upwards of an hour, after all.

Would be keen to hear FD's thoughts on how this sort of thing would be handled for sure. 

Sal 

Ex-staff

1 hour ago, Allegra said:

I do remember this being a bit of an issue a couple of years ago; the fact that gun shot wounds were the main cause of hospital inpatients was probably a bit boring and repetitive for the FD staff as well. I think back then, the FD member would essentially PM the player to ask if they wanted a more in-depth or expedited RP experience - this wasn't just for GSWs, it was more of a courtesy because of RL time constraints like people needing to go eat and so on. A realistic process often took upwards of an hour, after all.

Would be keen to hear FD's thoughts on how this sort of thing would be handled for sure. 

TBH, taking a 5 minute ER-only in and out roleplay would be more convenient for everyone involved, since RPing fear is sometimes not enough for you to avoid getting holed up. 

3 hours ago, Allegra said:

Hello there!

Back on SAMP in the last couple years we didn't have hospital staff, so everything had been NPC'd at the hospital with a few lines explaining what would happen at the hospital itself. (As long as everyone involved agreed to it of course).

Having a functioning hospital faction was a direct request from Server Management so that the LSFD can focus on pre-hospital care. Meaning once they've dropped the patient off at the hospital and give information to the staff there, they can return to their ambulance and carry on with the rest of their shift. That is when hospital staff will take over. So as long as there are members of the hospital faction on duty, there will be no need for NPC'd roleplay. You will ideally have roleplay from the time Firefighter-EMTs / Firefighter-Paramedics arrive on scene, all the way through your hospital visit.

On SAMP we ran into the issue of people calling 911 from the hospital requesting FD to help them with injuries, which was not realistic at all. You're at a hospital, so you'd be in better hands there with people who have the proper equipment to do a full evaluation and give you surgery or stitches if needed. Having a hospital faction should combat that as more players get used to having hospital staff again.

Firefighters can focus on fighting fires and responding to accidents or other scenes requiring pre-hospital medical attention to stabilize patients, and then the hospital staff can give them the thorough checkup and treatment after the fact.

As far as repetitive or "boring" roleplay, I can say after nearly three years in the faction, I handled hundreds of GSW scenes. I never found it to be repetitive or boring, as no two people ever roleplay the same way. Each character is unique, they handle pain differently, and wounds are in separate locations. While on an out-of-character level people might feel it's monotonous to treat GSWs over and over again, it's not unrealistic to think that's what EMTs and hospitals deal with a lot in areas where violence is heavily prevalent in real life scenarios.

The reason we asked if people wanted to roleplay inside hospitals or skip after FD treated them, was due to server rules regarding NPC'd roleplay. All parties involved have to agree to it. It's not realistic for a Firefighter to go inside and treat the patient themself, and when you had bustling shifts it was a time issue on FD's side to have to explain a few hospital-oriented lines of roleplay. It was never personally my favorite thing to do, as it took time away from faction responsibilities.

With the hospital sub-faction joining us, I feel there will be a better balance across the board, and less NPC'd roleplay all around. This will break immersion less, and allow us to delegate our units where they're needed most!

It should also be noted that you can only join one side or the other. You cannot be in both the LSFD main-faction and hospital sub-faction at the same time, not even on separate characters. This is considered the same as not allowing anyone to join two LEO factions at one time. As Ryan said, each entity is owned and operated independently of one another on an in-character level. The hospital sub-faction has their own section on the LSFD forums, with their own recruitment information.

• Clap 1
  • Love 1

spacer.png

4 hours ago, LordSpyx said:

Hello there!

I meant to respond properly to this earlier - thanks for taking the time to explain. I think that sounds really good. I suppose you'll have to see how it goes upon launch but it seems like a lot of this has already been thought out quite thoroughly!

• Love 1

Sal 

Ex-staff

10 minutes ago, Allegra said:

I meant to respond properly to this earlier - thanks for taking the time to explain. I think that sounds really good. I suppose you'll have to see how it goes upon launch but it seems like a lot of this has already been thought out quite thoroughly!

You are quite welcome! I'm always happy to take the time to answer faction related questions. 🙂

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Allegra said:

Hello!

I like the direction you're taking this in tbf, it's reminiscent of how it was a couple of years ago as you say. Also fully, one hundred percent agree that there has to be a balance between making things fun and realistic - I don't think anyone should expect actual trained medical professionals, but I know the old guides were thorough enough to provide a realistic enough experience for everyone.

I think, as with most things, it's best just to see how things go and be flexible too. Agree as well on having events, and encouraging "regular checkups" perhaps like a GP surgery should provide enough RP. Perhaps even a guide on common ailments, showing people that they can easily roleplay having "something" then coming along, getting diagnosed and receiving treatment of some kind? Just thinking out loud here.

Regardless, best of luck with everything, looking forward to seeing y'all in game 😉

Thank you for your feedback - I like the idea of having a public guide for common ailments!

11 hours ago, Venta said:

Really enjoyed hospital roleplay back then, looking forward to joint projects as we tried doing before! 

Hopefully we'll have some sort of DOH within' the government to support you.

Thank you. I know the gov seems to be focusing more on municipal leadership rather than state, but I'd certainly appreciate throwing in a department of health. That'd create another level of realism and create more roleplay opportunities.

11 hours ago, Mikee said:

I don't know if we will have access to that sort of system in-game, but we have in the past - and will continue to - keep track of the medical records of all of the players we interact with on our forum. That way, we can continue to track patient progress, confirm patient records for LEOs where they may need them, etc.

11 hours ago, Venta said:

We did medical employee check-ups several times back on SAMP, turned out to be fun roleplay for everyone.  Could come along with scripts as narcotics tests etc.

Yep - our patient records include a form for tracking primary care like checkups. It's something we tried to lean more heavily in the later years by creating locations like the Pathology Center at CGH with primary care rooms. We could roleplay checking on things like minor injuries, testing for STDs, or even general wellness checks. Some of the interiors we're looking at have similar concepts. At any rate, we'll definitely have the option for roleplaying primary care medicine.

9 hours ago, Freedom Fighter said:

Hospital rp would b cool

You know it!

9 hours ago, mhrhan said:

Idea is cool. But, the problem is, people getting shot frequently (e.g cops and gang rpers) will eventually get bored of this roleplay. Wouldn't it cause minor (or major) issues from your side?

8 hours ago, Allegra said:

5 hours ago, LordSpyx said:

Hello there!

Back on SAMP in the last couple years we didn't have hospital staff, so everything had been NPC'd at the hospital with a few lines explaining what would happen at the hospital itself. (As long as everyone involved agreed to it of course).

Having a functioning hospital faction was a direct request from Server Management so that the LSFD can focus on pre-hospital care. Meaning once they've dropped the patient off at the hospital and give information to the staff there, they can return to their ambulance and carry on with the rest of their shift. That is when hospital staff will take over. So as long as there are members of the hospital faction on duty, there will be no need for NPC'd roleplay. You will ideally have roleplay from the time Firefighter-EMTs / Firefighter-Paramedics arrive on scene, all the way through your hospital visit.

On SAMP we ran into the issue of people calling 911 from the hospital requesting FD to help them with injuries, which was not realistic at all. You're at a hospital, so you'd be in better hands there with people who have the proper equipment to do a full evaluation and give you surgery or stitches if needed. Having a hospital faction should combat that as more players get used to having hospital staff again.

Firefighters can focus on fighting fires and responding to accidents or other scenes requiring pre-hospital medical attention to stabilize patients, and then the hospital staff can give them the thorough checkup and treatment after the fact.

As far as repetitive or "boring" roleplay, I can say after nearly three years in the faction, I handled hundreds of GSW scenes. I never found it to be repetitive or boring, as no two people ever roleplay the same way. Each character is unique, they handle pain differently, and wounds are in separate locations. While on an out-of-character level people might feel it's monotonous to treat GSWs over and over again, it's not unrealistic to think that's what EMTs and hospitals deal with a lot in areas where violence is heavily prevalent in real life scenarios.

The reason we asked if people wanted to roleplay inside hospitals or skip after FD treated them, was due to server rules regarding NPC'd roleplay. All parties involved have to agree to it. It's not realistic for a Firefighter to go inside and treat the patient themself, and when you had bustling shifts it was a time issue on FD's side to have to explain a few hospital-oriented lines of roleplay. It was never personally my favorite thing to do, as it took time away from faction responsibilities.

With the hospital sub-faction joining us, I feel there will be a better balance across the board, and less NPC'd roleplay all around. This will break immersion less, and allow us to delegate our units where they're needed most!

It should also be noted that you can only join one side or the other. You cannot be in both the LSFD main-faction and hospital sub-faction at the same time, not even on separate characters. This is considered the same as not allowing anyone to join two LEO factions at one time. As Ryan said, each entity is owned and operated independently of one another on an in-character level. The hospital sub-faction has their own section on the LSFD forums, with their own recruitment information.

On these points about GSWs, I'll be honest: it did pose an issue for HS back in the day. People would get bored. We were able to start to take care of this problem by letting doctors do (unrealistic) things like patrolling in our blue "Delta" units or tagging along with the pre-hospital sector in ambulances. As we phased those practices out, we brought in new ones like using the pathology center and renovating our hospitals to create more variety.

While I agree with LordSpyx that each GSW and each player has its idiosyncrasies, it can be repetitive. Sure, some people were interested in roleplaying extensive organ damage, injuries to the spine, or going into cardiac arrest, but many wouldn't. That's why we allowed, in many cases, players to NPC their injuries' recoveries with "Dr. Smith." A simple /do, and boom - the patient was fixed. That's always been allowed - it's not novel. When we disallowed this practice, we made faction members and players unhappy. I intend to allow skipping hospital roleplay, but I also like the suggestion of allowing abbreviated hospital RP. That'd be a happy medium. With that said, some GSWs were fun to work with, but those who did not want to participate made the experience boring for everyone involved.

1 hour ago, Sheffield said:

It would help if roleplayers roleplay their falls, shots, car crashes that are roleplayed etc. so the hospital roleplay can continue! Not just a simple visit. I like your concept!

For sure! Car crashes, for example, provide ample RP for firefighters, paramedics, and hospital staff. The situation's resolution may take a long time to roleplay - off putting for many - but actually roleplaying these sorts of things create dynamic situations for everyone. Thank you for your feedback!

Can I get some clarification on the fluidity of this process, are LSFD going to arrive to a privately-run hospital with a patient (if you are online) and you are going to treat them? Or are you going to be privately-run medical responders on par with LSFD? 

If the LSFD are treating a patient and bring them to a PRIVATELY ran institution, the liability from an IC-perspective is insane and you'd be sued for pretty much every possible thing in the world. Government responders wouldn't treat individuals via a private-medium.

I may be incredibly stupid and misinterpreting what the idea is.

Edited by owen

On 2/9/2022 at 12:47 PM, Joe said:

Looking forward to this and I'm happy to help out where I can.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, owen said:

Can I get some clarification on the fluidity of this process, are LSFD going to arrive to a privately-run hospital with a patient (if you are online) and you are going to treat them? Or are you going to be privately-run medical responders on par with LSFD? 

If the LSFD are treating a patient and bring them to a PRIVATELY ran institution, the liability from an IC-perspective is insane and you'd be sued for pretty much every possible thing in the world. Government responders wouldn't treat individuals via a private-medium.

Thank you for allowing me to clarify this point. We provide just hospital care. We do not go into the field. We have no plans to interact with a private ambulance service at this point. The LSFD will bring patients to us.

Let me explain further: I am modeling the hospital faction after Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. They are a non-profit, privately-run hospital in the Los Angeles area. While they are private, they still receive NIH funding for things like drug trials, research grants, and public health awareness campaigns. Cedars-Sinai also has a level 1 trauma center/emergency department in Beverly Hills. California law dictates that in a life-threatening emergency, ambulances - LAFD and private - must take patients to the nearest hospital that can handle their case (in less emergent cases, ambulances can give patients a choice of hospitals). Furthermore, Cedars-Sinai and other private and public institutions have worked with the LAFD on things like Advanced Provider Response Units - LAFD ambulances also staffed with a Nurse Practitioner. I don't know about the idiosyncrasies of this system - I could be mistaken, but I believe in general the LAFD does take patients to Cedar-Sinai's ED. I say all of this to demonstrate that a private hospital does not have a hard line around it that prevents any interaction with the government.

I intend to follow this model with the hospital faction: non-profit with government interaction. If this does, however, bring up issues of liability on an IC level, I would not be objected to modeling the faction after a public hospital in LA or doing a contract with the LSFD to allow them to send patients our way.

3 hours ago, Xanakin said:

Short nurse clothing, everyday's Halloween.

Jokes aside, with the LSFD being a thing you could just do your own private hospital/doctors branch like you could on SAMP however you'll have to go through more official hoops this time around for the sake of realism.

As of right now, there are no official hoops to jump through. I'm working on crafting as realistic a system we can expect on LS-RP that is still accessible to players. We've already got a prescription system and patient records system implemented in the script - one of the reasons why us being part of the LSFD on an OOC level is optimal. We're private only on an in-character level.

Edited by Ryan
  • Thumbs 1

6 hours ago, owen said:

Private vs Public:

Spoiler

"What is the Difference Between a Public and Private Hospital?

A hospital can be a public or private institution, depending on how it is governed. If you would like to work in a healthcare setting and you are trying to differentiate between each of the hospitals that you can apply to, it is important to learn how care standards and settings can vary based on how the facility is managed and how it is controlled. Once you are able to identify the pros and cons of working in each of the hospitals, you will be equipped to decide if you want to be employed by a body controlled privately or publicly.

How Hospitals that Are Governed Publicly Operate

Any hospital that is said to be governed publicly is fully funded by the government and operates solely off of money that is collected from taxpayers to fund healthcare initiatives. Since the equipment, salaries, construction of new facilities, and prescriptions is paid for from a budget set by the local government, administrators will stay on top of spending and offer a limited set of services. Since costs tend to be lower in publicly operated hospitals, it is the best option for those who have restrictive insurance or who are not wealthy and able to pay for their healthcare out of pocket.

How Hospitals that Are Governed Privately Operate

Privately owned hospitals are funded and operated by the owner which is typically a group or an individual person. The owner of the facility will be in charge of setting the budget, managing finances, and ensuring compliance with strict municipal code, state law and federal regulations. The owner will also recruit staff, draft contracts with doctors, purchase the equipment, invest in maintenance, and control the services provided.

Private hospitals tend to be the preferred choice because they are not as limited in their budget and are known for quality service in which patients receive individual care and attention. Patients also do not have to spend long periods waiting to be seen because the number of patients per doctor is low. The cost of services in these settings tends to be much higher and attracts more a more affluent set of patients."

Source - https://www.healthcare-administration-degree.net/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-a-public-and-private-hospital/

The only difference is insurance of the customer and how the hospital is set to work. You cannot force someone to go to the hospital if they do not want to go, and those who are unconscious and being transported, I'm sure would rather be alive and have a higher bill than to just be left to die because we stopped to check their pockets for insurance cards and which hospitals would be better.

I will reiterate: hospital is overseen by LSFD Rank 1 on an OOC level only. This is per Management's request. We do not work directly with them or have any association with them on an in-character level. This was to avoid having to re-script an entirely new faction at launch, and to make sure they have a proper structure. This is to provide hospital roleplay without having to take time away from FD, who are not qualified to be doctors or nurses. FD can focus on pre-hospital care and firefighting, while the hospital staff takes over the roleplay from the hospital.

Any connection between the two is strictly OOC.

We as LSFD will not be employing nurse practitioners. We are focusing on Firefighter-EMT and Firefighter-Paramedics. We are responsible for pre-hospital care. Per policy, as Ryan stated, we go to the nearest hospital unless the patient is not in critical condition and can give a preference. You cannot be a medic without being a firefighter, as we are the Fire Department.

There are many privately owned hospitals. Some departments don't even transport patients, they treat them and then have the hospital's ambulances come and pick them up. This isn't the case for LAFD, but they aren't going to not transport a critically injured person to a hospital because it's privately owned and not public. You can't just simply open a hospital without going through a strict qualification system. (Unless you're running it out of your basement illegally).

It takes a hot minute to construct a hospital of that size, and you need to meet all of the requirements, have all of the certifications, the money, etc.

We don't charge for ambulance rides to the hospital, and once they're in the care of the hospital, it's between them and hospital staff for billing. We do not charge for pre-hospital care as the fire department. How the billing and everything else works has zero to do with us.

• Thumbs 1

spacer.png