Virtual Reality gaming

Sal

Anybody got VR sets? Been chatting on Disc earlier and am considering getting one. All I have is my old Playstation VR kit and I know things have come a long way since then.

The Oculus Quest 2 comes highly recommend particularly as a first purchase, as it's pretty cheap compared to others on the market. With that being said, the main reason I want to get a kit is to play games like Skyrim and Fallout and feel like I'm in the world. Not too bothered about the arcade-style games tbf. So it'd be Steam games primarily. 

Other options have been the Valve Index and HTC Vive Pro 2 - both much more expensive but higher in resolution. 

So yeah, do you have VR setups for your computer, or are you considering getting one? Keen to hear more, plus how you get over any motion sickness because I know I got it pretty bad on the PS. 

Sal 

Ex-staff

I’ve considered getting one! But I’m not sure if it’s worth the money right now. The concept is no doubt amazing, but the price is so high for a system that offers limited games with meh graphics. 

Granted, I understand it’s still somewhat new and I’m not expecting to see the real world when I put on the headset - but i think I’d rather save the money for some later projects they may have down the road.

VR is pretty fun. I have the Quest 2 and would recommend that as a starting point to get the feel for VR and make sure you like it before upgrading to something high end like the Valve Index or whatever else comes out in the near future. Setup for PCVR can be annoying with the Quest but once you get past that it's pretty easy to use.

To your question about motion sickness for me the more I play the less I feel anything like that. The first couple times using it felt weird moving around but I adjusted to it pretty quick.

• Thumbs 1

1 hour ago, kendrick said:

VR is pretty fun. I have the Quest 2 and would recommend that as a starting point to get the feel for VR and make sure you like it before upgrading to something high end like the Valve Index or whatever else comes out in the near future. Setup for PCVR can be annoying with the Quest but once you get past that it's pretty easy to use.

To your question about motion sickness for me the more I play the less I feel anything like that. The first couple times using it felt weird moving around but I adjusted to it pretty quick.

This is good to know. General consensus seems to be for the Quest 2 so far so I think I'll go for that as a starter. I suppose I could always sell it on again if I wanted to get something more spenny.

I've heard that opening windows, having a fan pointed at you etc helps. Plus I invested in some of those anti-sickness bands with the pressure point things on them. If I can't play after all of that, at least I won't have broke the bank over it. 

Sal 

Ex-staff

• 4 weeks later...

Oculus Quest 2 is the best option overall.
Inside-out tracking (not external stations required), supports wireless VR without any adapters, supports 120 Hz refresh (though not in all games).

Also, the Quest 2 in fact has a higher resolution than the Index and the original Vive.
Quest 2 - 1832 x 1920 per eye

Index - 1440 x 1600 per eye

The Vive 2 has a higher res, yes, but for like 3x or 4x the price + base stations + not wireless.

Certainly Quest 2 for me. I had a WMR and it was a pretty okay introduction to VR - and you can find them for like $150 or so used, if you wanted to give that a try. But I'd highly recommend just going for the Quest 2. I'd recommend geting the battery pack if you have any plans of extended play. Battery is a bit shit.

YBYvD4O.gif Qe0qceV.gif

THE BILINGSGATE MISFITS

As Above, So Below - KIEREN LEDBETTER

Spoiler

Hall of Fame

0YMEIUs.png

zbNHczV.png

HITYFrc.png

IttpHWy.png

QzHrrQR.png

27ca0f64b7.png

fe1c89c70f.png

0Bf0K91.png

vUa21sx.png

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Ok so I ended up buying a Valve Index from Steam, and although it's good and I've completely rearranged my room to suit it... i've only used it like three times.

Whoops. Half Life Alyx is supposed to be good on it though so I'll try that one next. 

Sal 

Ex-staff

• 2 months later...
  • Developer
On 4/4/2023 at 2:47 AM, Sal said:

Ok so I ended up buying a Valve Index from Steam, and although it's good and I've completely rearranged my room to suit it... i've only used it like three times.

Whoops. Half Life Alyx is supposed to be good on it though so I'll try that one next. 

I initially wanted to go with the Index but went for the Quest 2. I honestly found myself using it more in standalone mode than in PCVR, mainly because it's so easy to just put it on and go. What games have you tried so far?