Cities Skylines

Sal

spacer.png

There's more than one way to be the Mayor. Anybody else still playing Cities Skylines? It's not perfect but still the best modern city sim I reckon. Post your thoughts/screens of cities too for judgement. Will update later with some of mine - still trying to work out optimal traffic flow as the city grows.

Sal 

Ex-staff

1 hour ago, Dwayne Smith said:

For the traffic flow, you can use the Traffic Manager from the Steam workshop. 

I thiiiink I've tried that before - will check. I'm getting the hang of good road layouts now, and understanding better zoning.  Public transport seems mostly pointless to me still though, other than metro. 

Also heard that the new Airport DLC is "mediocre". Looks like just another park life but with planes. 

Sal 

Ex-staff

Just now, Monocle said:

I played the base game once, the game really outperformed SimCity.

Simcity was balls, although I did enjoy the Cities of Tomorrow expansion. But when Skylines came out (and after a few mods came out for it too) it wayyyyyyy outperformed Simcity. I'm surprised there's not more competition out there for this category. City building is awesome. 

Sal 

Ex-staff

5 hours ago, Allegra said:

Simcity was balls, although I did enjoy the Cities of Tomorrow expansion. But when Skylines came out (and after a few mods came out for it too) it wayyyyyyy outperformed Simcity. I'm surprised there's not more competition out there for this category. City building is awesome. 

Now I get why Maxis is turning their full attention to the sims 4 with all the packs refreshing and delivery updates, trying to combat any competitive risk for the sim series.

I didn't get to play cities skylines enough, I just remember scraping every city I made and starting all over again multiple times.

Edited by Monocle

10 hours ago, Monocle said:

Now I get why Maxis is turning their full attention to the sims 4 with all the packs refreshing and delivery updates, trying to combat any competitive risk for the sim series.

I didn't get to play cities skylines enough, I just remember scraping every city I made and starting all over again multiple times.

The Sims 4 is such a cash cow for them - it has been for a while but have you seen the new "kits"? It's literally just mod material that they charge for. Ridiculous.

Cities Skylines is really good, highly recommend it. It's the spiritual successor that the rehashed Simcity game was supposed to be, to Simcity 4 (an iconic, albeit outdated simulator now). 

Sal 

Ex-staff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

I always unlock all 81 tiles, make one big city and multiple smaller towns. Then manage a massive train network!

I do the same! But I've never managed to make mass transit even remotely profitable or close to breaking even. Trains in particular seem mega expensive, and not used nearly as much as metro. 

Sal 

Ex-staff

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 6:19 PM, Maxim said:

I find myself playing City Skylines every once in a while, all of my cities end up looking like a poorly cut cake though.

Same and then declaring bankruptcy after losing all my population from water contamination.

The game is free on epic games until 17th of march btw.

Edited by Monocle