University/College - Is there any future for this kind of RP?

top honky

Yes, I believe it could work out in a pretty decent form. I am aware that USALS existed on SAMP LSRP, however was never involved in it myself. I always considered it a quite niche but interesting project. Honestly, GTA5 map has a proper campus map (not just a single building like GTASA), so that's another cool thing that adds onto it. I've only recently learned that a university  exists on the other RageMp server, however apparently is very restrictive and doesn't serve as a fun environment to RP in. I'd love to give this a shot on LSRP5 and see if it's possible to create a realistic and enjoyable college setting on an RP server.

• Clap 1

I think a university should work more than a high school since GTA V already have a real location for a campus as said above and most players rp between 20 - 26 y/o, I used to rp in USALS around 2019 or 2020 I don't really remember, it worked good for a few months despite people being demotivated, If someone thinking about bringing that kind of roleplay back to ragemp they should consider implementing a few changes to the concept of college roleplay.

Edited by Monocle
  • Thumbs 1

8 minutes ago, Monocle said:

I think a university should work more than a high school since GTA V already have a real location for a campus as said above and most players rp between 20 - 26 y/o, I used to rp in USALS around 2019 or 2020 I don't really remember, it worked good for a few months despite people being demotivated, If someone thinking about bringing that kind of roleplay back to ragemp they should consider implementing a few changes to the concept of college roleplay.

what kinda experience was it like tho? i never got to actually rp there but heard it was fun for some period of time.

I've been in colleges on both SAMP LS:RP (USALS) and GTA:W (ULSA). Usually it turns out to be an OOC shitfest, when some people want to just rp around campus and be full time students and other people want to use the college as a development platform for their characters (mob, lspd, you name it). Me, @Street Boss, @Bellagio and few other guys joined ULSA on GTA:W and we got ton of hate the next few days, just because people knew we eventually gonna develop into illegal characters. So if the college's leadership acknowledges the fact that people want to develop through this platform, it'll be amazing - internships in various companies/departments, scholarships for athletes, etc etc. 

And obviously - it should be a crime-free zone on OOC level, BUT certain small crimes should be allowed for students only (acts of vandalism, small drug deals, fights, etc). 

P.S. Shoutout to Josh (Jack Ponaro) if he's still around. 

Edited by dimes
  • Clap 2
  • Thumbs 4

44 minutes ago, dimes said:

I've been in colleges on both SAMP LS:RP (USALS) and GTA:W (ULSA). Usually it turns out to be an OOC shitfest, when some people want to just rp around campus and be full time students and other people want to use the college as a development platform for their characters (mob, lspd, you name it). Me, @Street Boss, @Bellagio and few other guys joined ULSA on GTA:W and we got ton of hate the next few days, just because people knew we eventually gonna develop into illegal characters. So if the college's leadership acknowledges the fact that people want to develop through this platform, it'll be amazing - internships in various companies/departments, scholarships for athletes, etc etc. 

And obviously - it should be a crime-free zone on OOC level, BUT certain small crimes should be allowed for students only (acts of vandalism, small drug deals, fights, etc). 

That's fucked, a lot of Organized Crime figures have got college/uni education IRL. Restricting players from using a uni to help fund their development, whether it's illegal or legal, is a bad thing. 

• Thumbs 1

Valeria Avendaño

Miguel Mondragon

La Puerta Boys

Sinaloa Cowboys

"TRANSNATIONAL ORGANIZED CRIME DOESN'T RECOGNIZE ANY BORDERS" - Patricia Espinoza

Guide to Paisa Roleplay

Guide To Drug RP in Gangs

Community Page

LS-R

1 hour ago, dimes said:

spacer.png

Totally agree with you and this pic explains everything lmao.

it.png  TRAINEE ADMIN MIKEE

• HEAD OF FOREIGN SECTIONS
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF ECONOMY TEAM
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF PLAYER SUPPORT TEAM

1 hour ago, Freedom Fighter said:

That's fucked, a lot of Organized Crime figures have got college/uni education IRL. 

GTAW for you. They focus too hard on legal roleplay and they can't imagine anyone doing crimes in colleges or grow up a criminal after graduating. I'm not gonna namedrop, but there was people who kicked it with us often - mostly because we were the ones promoting sport rp, cheerleading rp, etc. 

In my opinion, those who got mad - they never had a chance to go to college/university IRL and they just want to enjoy the student life in game, at least, and they hated when someone didn't take full-time student rp serious. But to each their own, I guess. 

• Thumbs 3

On 1/20/2022 at 11:40 PM, i dont wanna od in LA said:

what kinda experience was it like tho? i never got to actually rp there but heard it was fun for some period of time.

It was a good experience my character was a professor and I remember we used to often hangout with other people at the faculty longue, we had dorms, offices, cafeteria, library and classrooms, as far as I can remember classes were kept as minimum as possible nothing longer than 15 minutes unless it's something really interesting and we didn't stress it much people were free to attend or ditch, Unfortunately a few people went against the idea of college roleplay because they wanted high school instead so they took out the campus building from underneath us and used it as a high school, most of our members lost interest and Josh who was the faction leader got demotivated as well then we gave up on the faction eventually even though people were still sending apps to join us. I also remember that high school faction literally died after a week.

Edited by Monocle
  • Thumbs 2

The university idea would work better in GTA V. However, it needs to be ran a certain type of way so it doesn't result in it becoming a cult of e-roleplay with no actual role play inside it. The main aesthetic of the university is the college-dorm life and teens being teens, not the learning. No one willingly will sit in a class room for ages and learn something nobody knows anything about. 

Put emphasis on group-orientated role play and group chats, college dorms, dramas, feuds, fights and drug selling/buying, BMX'ing, skating — it'll work well and can actually be very enjoyable. 

• Thumbs 2

25 minutes ago, owen said:

The university idea would work better in GTA V. However, it needs to be ran a certain type of way so it doesn't result in it becoming a cult of e-roleplay with no actual role play inside it. The main aesthetic of the university is the college-dorm life and teens being teens, not the learning. No one willingly will sit in a class room for ages and learn something nobody knows anything about. 

Put emphasis on group-orientated role play and group chats, college dorms, dramas, feuds, fights and drug selling/buying, BMX'ing, skating — it'll work well and can actually be very enjoyable. 

i completely agree with you. college rp should focus more so on the life of a college student rather than being some weird place for self-inserts.

• Thumbs 1

The issue with LS-RP college RP was that it formed a very small closed roleplay circle which would lose interest in roleplaying it properly and turn into a shitfest. It was ran by us (GOV) back then and we don't currently plan on bringing it back, at least not on launch. I would bring it up for discussion sometime in the future once the server is more settled and there's still sufficient interest in it and with proper preparations done to it.

If someone wants to do that separately, then I'm sure we could offer support to a certain level as long as standards are kept.

qgv23wo.png

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2022 at 1:02 PM, dimes said:

they can't imagine anyone doing crimes in colleges or grow up a criminal after graduating

I'm sorry to hear some players couldn't imagine that. Before that ULSA faction started up, everyone I knew RPing university students on GTAW were also involved in illegal RP. People are more complicated than 100% legal or 100% illegal, and many underworld types (especially women from what I've read) are expected to have a legal side. I think interesting characters exist in multiple worlds, they show different sides of themselves to different groups, like friends or family or work. School can be a big focus in any storyline where a character is trying to get out of the game and find a better life. I enjoy the tension of two worlds pulling on a character, like their home life against their school goals. Also there are legit real University of California professors (ULSA IRL) who used to be involved in gangs and drug dealing. It's like the gang capital of the world no? And of course, some professors and grad students actually participate in street crimes while studying street gangs.

Street gang characters might be less common but it's possible to be involved in gang life or on the edge of gang life and still working a legal job or attending some classes. But I'd definitely expect there to be students who were children of oligarchs, children of Asian autocratic elites, and children of mob style crime bosses. Like do people think these kids are getting schooled in an evil castle in the mountains? The whole idea of the underworld is that it literally exists under the world, everywhere we look there is some crime under the surface.

But like people here are saying, I don't think the classes/lectures are really the most important thing for us. I think a super helpful thing about RPing a school experience is the structure it brings to RP. Like we don't even need a faction for all types of students. Like if a character lives off campus and is always traveling back and forth between classes, that creates opportunities to encounter RP and also for a character to experience different vibes. If a character is mostly experiencing just one neighbourhood, I think being in a new environment can help open up lots of ideas. But of course the experience of living in dorms or just going to a big city university can change a character. I was super sheltered and ignorant about so many things before university. It'll be fun to see characters from Blaine County attending ULSA and experiencing some culture shock. I know people who had never left their home county before moving into the dorms before they came to university. These students legit never seen a skyscraper before.

• Thumbs 1

On 1/21/2022 at 3:48 PM, dimes said:

An unpopular opinion: The only GTA server where college RP has thrived is GTA:W - They've have had 30+ players online, every night for nearly 2 years. The only factions that come close to that are PD and SD, not even FD matches their numbers, so they must be doing something right.

Rather than try and copy a faction that didn't work (USALS), it would make far more sense at taking what this faction did right and then see how it can be improved.

The main issue is always going to be the lines of where acceptable criminality is drawn and I think you are on point when you said this:

This statement is absolutely how College RP should be - expressly around campus. As far as I know, this is how ULSA mostly operates on GTA:W

- However GTA:W has a very strange notion of illegal factions vs legal factions - I think ULSA and any other faction is forced to play into this by their teams Legal Faction Management & this is where the cracks occur.

The problem of Illegal vs Legal faction divides.

There simply should never be a divide. You can have corrupt cops, you can have students who are borderline psychotic, and you can also have people caught up in gangs that aren't terrible murderers - there should NOT be a Legal / Illegal faction management, there should just be 'Faction Management'.

Remove the divide and suddenly you open up for far more 'grey' area's that can lead to interesting character concepts and there being a far less black vs white take on Legal vs Illegal RP. (Also I think one of the reasons previous GTA:W servers are so incredibly toxic).

Crime
GTA:W aside - What I think we'd certainly agree on is that you can't have daily stabbings / shootings in high school or college RP or it just reduces it to the very worst of Davis RP and it will kill the faction off just as fast as your average gangbanger_01 faction. 

While some serious crime does occur at college campus', it's extremely small in number and murders are even more rare.

Conclusion

College and Highschool's should be Mostly considered a 'safe zone' - where fights should be restricted to brawls and the most regular crime being drug deals (as per the posters comments above).

• Thumbs 1

If the server ever even launches, which at this point I'm starting to seriously doubt, yes, this type of RP could be fun. Lots of opportunities for different kinds of University RP. But like I said... Looks like we might be waiting on the forums throwing around ideas for something that's never gonna happen. 🙂

I've never personally taken part in the Roleplay surrounding the University on LSRP SAMP but I liked the idea and with everything that is available on GTA V would make it that much better, such as clothes and being preppy with Gucci, inventory paper notes to do class work etc. It'd be neat if you could even get a little certificate of your graduation/degree. I'd totally like to see something like this exist on the server, it's different role-play and I like others role-playing a bunch of different things and that's what makes the server more lively. I vote yes!

0hO1ou7.gifXoiz438.gif

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it really depends on the supported atmosphere of the community. It is a niche sector of roleplay, but as long as you have a community of people willing to log onto those characters, I believe it's able to be done right. 

I've been reading through the comments and while I appreciate the enthusiasm, I have to admit that I'm not too keen on it myself. It seems like previous attempts at this kind of roleplay have ended up causing more trouble than enjoyment. The focus tends to shift away from the actual learning aspect and turn into a chaotic mix of different character developments and conflicting interests. Personally, I think there are other RP ideas that could offer more diverse and engaging experiences. But hey, that's just my opinion!

Mani Productions                                                                                                                                                                     Cop Talk Magazine Vol.1 No. 1 
Los Santos Publishing                                                                                                                                                               Cop Talk Magazine Vol.1 No. 2