Marijuana on LS:RP in 2022

PharmaFarma

A subject I've been thinking about for a while is the legalization of marijuana on the server. As we all know, Los Santos is based on Los Angeles, and marijuana is legal for recreational use in Los Angeles. There are an estimated one thousand dispensary businesses in Los Angeles alone. Take five minutes to load up Grand Theft Auto V and cruise around Vinewood and you'll find that it's almost like there's a dispensary on every corner. 

I've noticed, at least in my experience, not a single roleplay server has chosen to roleplay legal marijuana - is there any chance LSRP could be the first? I believe it could provide a nice boost to drug roleplay as well as opening a new avenue for business roleplay. Perhaps with an in-depth drug system, street weed and dispensary weed could differ in quality as they should, meaning you'd be given the choice between cheap weed or high quality weed. What's everyone's thought on this?

nYGCvUp.png

Edited by PharmaFarma
  • Bigsmoke 1

What are you supposed to put down here?

In my page of the book, your suggestion is great, but it should be proposed in a different better and more realistic way. And that one is through government act. Like everything that revolves around you IRL, politics mostly decide of people's lifes. And this one should also go through that. Pointing that, it will also add-on much of roleplay situations to the actual people who will carry on it.

The other side of the coin also tells me that legalising this will most certainly boost up the drug market, even uncompetetive to the ones that try to ICly obtain and sell the illegaly provided drugs, especially marijuana. I'm suggesting to firstly have this proposal go through amendment via government and then offer something like this. Or maybe, just maybe people could make a public petition about this whole thing, that could go major in so many ways. Always open for creative purposes of your suggestion.

• Thumbs 1

4 minutes ago, Horgen said:

In my page of the book, your suggestion is great, but it should be proposed in a different better and more realistic way. And that one is through government act. Like everything that revolves around you IRL, politics mostly decide of people's lifes. And this one should also go through that. Pointing that, it will also add-on much of roleplay situations to the actual people who will carry on it.

The other side of the coin also tells me that legalising this will most certainly boost up the drug market, even uncompetetive to the ones that try to ICly obtain and sell the illegaly provided drugs, especially marijuana. I'm suggesting to firstly have this proposal go through amendment via government and then offer something like this. Or maybe, just maybe people could make a public petition about this whole thing, that could go major in so many ways. Always open for creative purposes of your suggestion.

This is a wonderful idea. On a different server (one I probably don't have to name), the team in charge of illegal factions straight up denied it on an OOC level. I think proposing it in character is a great idea if people take it seriously.

Devil's advocate: marijuana being illegal opens up an avenue for criminal interaction with gangs for more role players. Even if it only amounts to street purchases, it creates activity for both parties, and at least in my opinion, these interactions are more interesting than being able to simply access it. Your average users (a good portion of OC role players, civilians, hell even off-duty cops) have no reason to buy any hard drugs, but giving them something they can role play around while maintaining proper character consistency gives them a reason to go and buy drugs. 

Realistically speaking, you're completely right. That being said, exploring the issue from the lens of game design offers an interesting argument, at least in my opinion.

What about a medical license approach? This opens up two completely separate illegal markets (growers, illegal reselling of medicinal), would justify marijuana graphics and storefronts, and would allow some form of LSPD / LSFD(?) oversight. 

• Clap 1

43 minutes ago, Apophis said:

Devil's advocate: marijuana being illegal opens up an avenue for criminal interaction with gangs for more role players. Even if it only amounts to street purchases, it creates activity for both parties, and at least in my opinion, these interactions are more interesting than being able to simply access it. Your average users (a good portion of OC role players, civilians, hell even off-duty cops) have no reason to buy any hard drugs, but giving them something they can role play around while maintaining proper character consistency gives them a reason to go and buy drugs. 

Realistically speaking, you're completely right. That being said, exploring the issue from the lens of game design offers an interesting argument, at least in my opinion.

What about a medical license approach? This opens up two completely separate illegal markets (growers, illegal reselling of medicinal), would justify marijuana graphics and storefronts, and would allow some form of LSPD / LSFD(?) oversight. 

Licensing is (in theory) a good idea, but has never been executed well. Dispensaries from medical licensing would create an extreme strain (no pun intended) on the LSFD and having weed be on a waiting time until someone logs in is pretty boring. 

Realistically, weed should be legal. Practically, and having the server in mind — it should remain illegal in some aspect. The way it could work is just for legal factions to have an internal policy for how much weed can be seized and the person not be arrested, this would in turn solve the issue and allow it be used by everyone and still pose for interesting role play. 

1 hour ago, kendrick said:

Marijuana will currently be legal for possession up to a certain amount and illegal to sell other than through a dispensary.

This is good for now in my opinion. I think it solves all battles whilst still ensuring there is some type of illegal role play to be had.

Just gonna put it out there that gang members and criminal enterprises still sell weed in modern day Los Angeles regardless of its decriminalized status, it's simply usually the lower quality shit, or stuff that they've laced or grown independently. The good weed comes from dispensaries, so this shouldn't and wouldn't (IMO) affect any type of illegal market on the server.

Going to copy paste what I said on another thread

I don't agree. You have to think on this; crime is, increasingly, harder to commit, as avenues of making money through illicit means either get more esoteric or disappear completely, or the police crack down on them. As these activities become more esoteric, it also gets way, way harder to properly simulate them in a game that wasn't made with simulating them in mind; how do you simulate one of the most common criminal activities today, for example, card skimming and other credit-card related scams? You can't. The game isn't equipped for it and trying to program such a thing, make it useful and balance it in how hard it is to do and how much money it gives is a herculean task. We have to make some concessions to modern-day realism like keeping weed illegal so that illegal roleplayers can actually have easy avenues of making money, or else you end up with a situation where RPing a criminal is a chore where you're making 20 bucks per day selling crack to the one guy on the server bothering to roleplay a crackhead.

I'm not sure what other systems are going to be in place for criminals to make money but wiping away one of the few easy avenues of it doesn't strike me as a great idea.

• Thumbs 1

If I'm not mistaken it was moving in the direction where up to a certain amount was a fine and exceeding that was jail time. I think for now we should keep it that way. And like @IdleStacks mentioned it's one of those aspects of gang rp that I wouldn't take away just to add to a legal forefront right now.

FORMER LSRP SENIOR ADMIN

8 hours ago, PharmaFarma said:

This is a wonderful idea. On a different server (one I probably don't have to name), the team in charge of illegal factions straight up denied it on an OOC level. I think proposing it in character is a great idea if people take it seriously.

Kane said there’s no plans for senate rn so…

It should be legal from the start. So many states have recreational right now in the US 🤷‍♀️

It's getting legal nearly in every state and in every country. Probably in few years  most of the non-cave countries will have this plant legalized. I think, it must be legal on LS-RP as well. There could be illegal Marijuana that will cost less than legal, but PD/SD will have to work to get illegal suppliers (who smuggle kilos of illegal Marijuana) and not arrest people for having few grams on them. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think the approach like others mentioned of cannabis possession being legal up to a certain amount is a healthy start, either turning it into a medicinal market first in-game is another great option before just turning everything into a recreational market. There's a lot more behind just legalizing something for the sake of legalization, with this comes taxes and expenses for the business owner and that's what the battle has been over in the legal market till this day. I think if they're trying to venture into the legal business markets in this field the same should happen to those that choose to create a dispensary or a cultivation facility (if that ever becomes a thing). We have seen this in every place where it's been legalized, with some markets (like in California) on the brink of collapsing due to high taxes and direct competition with a flourishing black market that has deep roots and has been established for the past two decades prior with no taxes to pay.

I believe if this is the approach a majority of people want to see we would need to actually have a complete overhaul of the cannabis system in terms of growing and expenses and need a good understanding of the current market that's happening in California right now since it seems a portion of people are basing it off of Los Angeles. 

Like in previous posts on other threads I have made specifically on cannabis I think it would need a more in depth script with it's cultivation, yield, potency and expenses for running such a operation. Some sort of electricity bill would be a cool start for this area for those cultivating indoors, legally or illegally as well as the things that may effect your crop yield and potency such as temperature control units, lighting and ballasts (which you should have to purchase as a item) as well as drying/curing methods. For those who are interested in the conversation I highly recommend watching this video to get a better understanding and see how the legal market is battling for lively hood against a machine that has been entrenched for the last two or three decades and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't see why it'd have to be black and white. I'm sure there's run of the mill white collars that would do what they must to get a medical order to be able to consume dispensary marijuana - and others would most likely resort to hitting up your local dubious dealer for the cheap rastafari smoke just to lay back and have some fun for a low price.

I'm sure that having a thicker safezone between outright arrest and just confiscating produce is better, since it gives leniency to those who'd hate to go to jail for a while over a gram or two - whilst keeping things interesting enough for the more illegal side of things.

Edited by Silk.

QX3m2L4.pngQX3m2L4.png

aNddalB.pngaNddalB.png

🐍🏝️

good miscellaneous comments:

Spoiler
On 3/5/2022 at 8:46 PM, Chuckles said:

Certified 🍞 maker

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 2:30 PM, Richard Spera said:

*snip*

Yes. I agree with what you're saying - I'd personally enjoy it a lot more if everything is roleplayed behind the scenes. Let me provide jobs by getting people to work in grow facilities. Let me pay people to work a dispensary. Get a hospital faction to write prescriptions and provide medical cards, think Pillbox from the other server but actually active. 

On 1/24/2022 at 3:14 PM, Silk. said:

I don't see why it'd have to be black and white. I'm sure there's run of the mill white collars that would do what they must to get a medical order to be able to consume dispensary marijuana - and others would most likely resort to hitting up your local dubious dealer for the cheap rastafari smoke just to lay back and have some fun for a low price.

I'm sure that having a thicker safezone between outright arrest and just confiscating produce is better, since it gives leniency to those who'd hate to go to jail for a while over a gram or two - whilst keeping things interesting enough for the more illegal side of things.

A good system of realistic pros and cons to the quality of weed you're using would be great. Dirt weed gives a minimal health boost in comparison to professionally grown buds, but it's cheaper. (Though personally, the drug effect system in general rubs me the wrong way. I wish everything was more roleplay-oriented, but you can't really get everything.)

On 1/8/2022 at 1:11 AM, Redz said:

If I'm not mistaken it was moving in the direction where up to a certain amount was a fine and exceeding that was jail time. I think for now we should keep it that way. And like @IdleStacks mentioned it's one of those aspects of gang rp that I wouldn't take away just to add to a legal forefront right now.

I also think it should remain illegal. I feel like, it will be hard for illegal roleplayers to compete with a licensed business, given that businesses don't really get taxed and also have a consistent supply of goods. Though I cannot be certain, in my opinion it would cause certain circumstances to come to existence that would complicate an illegal roleplayer's investments and participation in the black market instead of boosting them.

DISTRICT ATTORNEY NATHANIEL COOPER
LOS SANTOS COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE"For the People"
VVtNi9h.png

On 2/16/2022 at 5:09 AM, Quicky said:

I also think it should remain illegal. I feel like, it will be hard for illegal roleplayers to compete with a licensed business, given that businesses don't really get taxed and also have a consistent supply of goods. Though I cannot be certain, in my opinion it would cause certain circumstances to come to existence that would complicate an illegal roleplayer's investments and participation in the black market instead of boosting them.

I see where you're coming from but I gotta disagree with you. Sure, it'll be hard for illegal rpers to compete with the legal marijuana scene, but it's generally hard for them to compete in real life. Most gang members IRL sell heavier drugs nowadays like meth, crack, coke and pcp for that exact reason, all it'd do in my opinion is open up more avenues for roleplay. Selling weed IRL isn't very profitable and if I'm being honest weed dealers in LA just sell bags of reggie (poor quality weed, usually grown out in the woods and/or in national parks) for like $20 a pop.

Edited by La Tweaker