Rethinking the approach towards civilian role play

Apophis

I've been playing in GTAW for some time and am counting on LSRP to pick up in aspects where GTAW failed.  There's a lot of things that are good, but in playing there I've noticed where mistakes have been made.  I also think there's quite a bit of the community that's upset with various aspects and are looking for a competitor.  Being in the legal community there for some time, I've found that their faction management is horrible and that while roleplay is pushed, they create avenues which are blocked and hampered due to OOC involvement, frequently.

I think what's hurt LSRP in the past (in regards to the legal aspects) is that it's always focused on the police and the civilians second.  It's created its own barriers OOCLY, which can be improved upon.  There's a lot of great insight in this thread that should be considered.  Too many clubs open may be a factor that could be looked into, but treading carefully with OOC involvement. 

I've love to a see a more functional economy.  No server has nailed that yet.

Reading through this discussion at 1am really gave me a better insight in the things that LSRP could achieve. To make a change, it's not up to the administrators, it's not up to the servers management, it's up to us... serio...

some real shit...

never thought that I'd be the one to say it...

that's when you know it's real... 

I... Authentic... I will be the first to stand... as I put my hand to my chest, and look to the sky... I say...

To the future Legal Community of Los Santos Roleplay... 

I will promise to stop belittling every person who doesn't focus their roleplay on crime... The term "Mallrats", or "Mallratos", I put it behind me, as this in reality does nothing but plague the future... I call to everybody... embrace the Legal Scene... as without them... Us illegal role players would be in vain.    serio...

• Bigsmoke 1
  • Thumbs 2
  • OK 1
  • Love 1

What always pains my heart is that people have managed to generated and breed this never ending cycle of division between legal & illegal roleplayers, yet what they do not understand is that one party cannot manage to survive without the other.

I feel like yes, to an extent legal rp is more dominant as GTA5 is mainstream and it does call for people from other platforms to migrate, mainly IMVU, Second-Life, Habboo, Gmod and so on. Overall games or communities who do have their own share of roleplay, although it's not as dominant as it us on our platform-- GTA, and it's also these clients that we would consider or call 'sub-par' due to how poor the roleplay scene is. But we cannot blame them, as they've not seen any better. 

The best way to improve this is by enchanting people's roleplay, me personally I've been on and off GTAW for the past few years. And to be honest with you, there were days and nights where I would just walk around the street, run into a civilian and just roleplay with them. We're talking legal roleplayers, not illegal. And yes, just like any other community they do have their share of 'weirdos' or internet 'fiends' but we must admit. We've had them in the past too. In both the illegal and legal roleplay fields. 

Overall, I feel like we've to just embrace the fact that it's not SAMP anymore. The demographics have changed, and it's best for us as a community to embrace that fact. If we want LSRP:V to strive and to bang up big digits, then we'll have to co-exist and learn how to roleplay with the legal roleplayers because just like the Thread Holder of the topic said, we the illegal roleplayers are no longer the MAJORITY. 

Not only that but other illegal roleplayers are migrating over from other communities, FiveM for the most part. The roleplay there is no-where near being elite, so considering the fact how small the illegal community is now, think about how many are veterans and how many are new. For the most part, people have grown up and have grown out of the game. No longer can you see dudes from 2007 still roam the community. People have partners, kids, professions and other aspects of life that interest them more than this thing of ours. However on the other hand, GTA5 is very similar to SAMP during the youth of San Andreas' most downloaded client. There's a new playerbase, there are people who are to be taught, people that you're meant to pass the torch to. So for the remaining illegal RPers who have a lengthy history when it comes to LSRP, and roleplaying as a whole? I heavily advise you to SHARE your knowledge and to TEACH these people, be amiable and if anything encourage quality but also kindness at the same time. Toxicity is what killed LSRP, let's make sure that history doesn't repeat itself.  

Edited by Ese Reaper
  • Bigsmoke 1
  • Thumbs 3
  • Love 1

On 1/4/2022 at 1:56 AM, Dos Santos said:

You generally have to remember a lot of los santos roleplay have had years and years of experience of where they have gone wrong and are able to come over these things and reflect and perhaps create a better legal system, the civilian roleplay is going to be extremely good on LS-RP but we do need to be patient. 

I feel like a lot of people will return for the name itself, a lot of people don’t agree with a lot of things on World, but you have to remember they’ve done a very good job themselves. Yes, it’s a bit of competition but the work Mmartin and co have put into the script is insane and we need to try and provide the roleplay to the community itself. 

a lot of people don’t agree with the way IFM handle things, on LS-RP I’m hoping Faction Team can be good, where we can be dynamic and unique and hopefully have a 50/50 between illegal roleplay and legal roleplay. 

The only way to kill World is to provide a better admin team and IFM. You have inexperienced mallrat admins on World interfering in IFM business and not doing their job. LS RP is home and yes, please get a good unbiased FT.

• Thumbs 1
  • Strong 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think largely the problem behind this is a concoction of things. A blend of envy, entitlement, and maybe even resentment prompts these "clashes of heads" between legal and illegal roleplayers. The green-eyed monster is usually to blame for the antagonism. Both genres feel the need to not only advocate for their department but also to argue against their counterpart because they feel it adds substance to their claims. I think this is where the misinterpretation comes into play in the entire legal vs illegal circus that appears in every discussion regardless of relevance.

I think GTAw has shown that civilian roleplay can thrive as much as criminal roleplay can. They have also shown that both criminal and civilian roleplay can decline rapidly if misrepresented. Cop vs robber discussions have somehow managed to integrate and distort the image of genuine civilian and criminal interactions, relationships, and general synchronousness. I am a big believer in capitalizing on weaknesses but it is just as important to take away from strengths. Without the ambience, civilian roleplay provides, there would be no real immersion.  Civilians are more important to criminal empires than what most people are willing to give them credit for.

LSRP (of old) heavily favoured criminals. GTAw heavily favours civilians. It should be cut right down the middle. I think when suggestions are made people are very territorial and as a result, arguments are made a lot more confrontational than they need to be. LSRPv's biggest attraction currently is its illegal scene potential. It's what's in everyone's mouths, it's what every criminal roleplayer is waiting for. I think this will be (upon launch, that is) its biggest selling point. But I think once civilian roleplayers start to realize that there is a promising alternative they'll jump on the train too. It's going to be a case of gentrification.

• Clap 1

I've always played Devil's Advocate around this type of thing, even back on SA:MP back on LS-RP I payed Devil's Advocate for the most part. I'm going to be real, I mostly played LS from 2017 to 2021, and from 2019-2020 the legal scene was thriving in my opinion. I seen many non-illegal businesses, characters, and companies being opened, etc. The issue? Well the issue is that it was SA:MP, and SA:MP as we knew it wasn't as big as RAGE:MP. But another thing? The term and usage of "Mallrat" also killed civilian roleplay, because you'd have genuine civilian characters that would try be serious and then an illegal roleplayer just used to be like: "Huehuehuehue MALLRAT haahahahaha! LOL!". That sort of mentality most definitely demotivated civilian roleplayers, the civ pop was there but wasn't big due to it being SA:MP, but that mentality most definitely did more damage than good on top of the already small civilian playerbase. 

Civilian roleplay is needed for criminal ventures too, most of the times it's civilians buying drugs to forget about their hard life, civilians going to Organized Crime owned businesses, civilians that're friends with two rival gangs and possibly mouthing off which leads to one gang member being killed by another, civilians supporting Motorcycle Club events, etc. I'd honestly be here all day if I was to list them. The point is, as much as LS-RP was illegal driven, it needs to be 50/50. As an illegal roleplayer, dominantly, I will say 100% focusing on the illegal scene is not going to do any good in the long run. We need civilians for roleplay. A lot of times criminals have lives, they're human too... most of their social life with friends? They're civilians who they socialize with a lot of the times. 

I could be here the entire day listing how both worlds intertwine. My opinion? Get rid of the "legal" and "illegal" mentality. Just make it a "life" mentality. You got civilians who do illegal things IRL but aren't criminals, you got criminals who mostly do legal stuff IRL but aren't average civilians. 

Encouraging civilian owned businesses, and systems would be most definitely beneficial long term.

• CJ 1
  • Clap 2
  • Thumbs 3
  • OK 1
  • Strong 4
  • Love 2

Valeria Avendaño

Miguel Mondragon

La Puerta Boys

Sinaloa Cowboys

"TRANSNATIONAL ORGANIZED CRIME DOESN'T RECOGNIZE ANY BORDERS" - Patricia Espinoza

Guide to Paisa Roleplay

Guide To Drug RP in Gangs

Community Page

LS-R

I think it's unfair to judge LSRP's capabilities on civillian roleplay, purely due to the fact people just liked roleplaying illegal and had a preference instead of roleplaying civillian.

The only reason GTAW strived on civillian roleplay is because of the many new players that came from other places where they did not witness the old times of illegal roleplay, they're also not fixated like the lsrp players on illegal roleplay and they could care less.

Most LSRP players that went to GTAW went back to the cops and robbers roleplay and probably did notice a difference, and that's why many didn't continue playing.

LSRP:V becoming a thing now will surely increase roleplay opportunities due to the amazing dev team that we have and will surely allow for more people to make use of civillian utulities. I encourage my faction members to focus on their legal side too.

• Thumbs 2

I don't think that LSRP has to shift its focus to squarely on "legal" rp, but I do think that people aren't giving LSRP enough credit for the potential it may have in competing in the legal scene. To my understanding, and from my experience on World, in this day and age many of the consistently ran businesses are ran by Organized Crime groups rather than civilians. It seems a lot of civilians on the server have either left, or are focused on another kind of Roleplay. Some of this is because of groups like PM and FM which can hamper civilian RP, and end up encouraging other kinds of rp. With a fresh start a lot of people could be looking to start up businesses and enjoy a new environment. 

I think what Freedom Fighter said was dope was well. 

• Thumbs 1

I don’t think LSRP has to try too hard to compete with GTAW tbh. I think GTAW is already full of people who don’t necessarily like the server, but they have nowhere else to go and play. It’s the only server that offers Text Based RP on GTA V and gets a decent playerbase. It’s unique. And with LSRP joining the party, people will see that and join just to play something different and potentially better. I’m sure we’ll go through our growing pains during the initial launch, but that’s to be expected. A community with this large of a following however will bounce back, and things will work themselves out eventually.

• Strong 1

Great discussion but rather than add a wall of text in here, I'll just say that I agree with all the points about there being a need for balance, and an appreciation that criminal, LEO and civilian roleplay all has its place in creating an environment that complements the roleplaying experience for all three. I think ROZE summed this up best in the earlier post. 

How to do it all in practise, though? Biiiig topic. Lots to be learned from World as everyone's mentioned; both in terms of what to pick up, and what to discard. If the vision remains that it should be a fair system that doesn't overly favour one roleplaying group over another, then the actions taken as part of this should be positive. Obviously it'll take some hiccups and learnings along the way too.

• OK 1

Sal 

Ex-staff

12 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

As a person who does/did primarily illegal rp I can understand the importance of legal roleplay and the fact that it also breathes the life into the server. I believe a project like a college/university could be very beneficial in terms of improving civilian rp.

At the end of the day, I think most people are free to RP whatever they like. I've spent a few years RPing on different platforms now, ones which don't have RP economies (like WoW), and it worked purely because the people interested in that type of RP just... did it. It was much less about the rat race of making money, owning places, growing to a huge size, and more about just doing the roleplay because that's what people enjoyed. 

I know this is a different playing environment here, involving an actual economy and businesses and what-not, so it's only fair to expect that unique RP like the one you've suggested should receive some kind of support, imo. Although only if those interested prove that they're gonna stick to it beforehand.  

Sal 

Ex-staff