Why the underscore in the in-game name?

Are you in favor or against the underscore?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which side are you leaning against?

• In favor.
    • Against.
    • I want the ability to toggle in between the two.

This is probably a really dumb question, can someone enlighten me though. What's the benefit of it? Just want to learn.

I come from a server that don't use underscore in the in-game name. Is it pure nostalgia from earlier game version, beneficial somehow?

And lastly, will there be an option for players to toggle this to their liking?

EDIT:

Apparently, it's been said many times over on Discord in the past, that it's bound to change already! Adding this here for whoever else is looking for an answer too.

spacer.png

Edited by sneakybae

14 minutes ago, EYECE said:

you that bored you gon make a whole ass thread to ask a dumbass question like dis?

robert-de-niro-finger-wag.gif

Hell yeah!

Can an admin move this to: https://community.ls-rp.com/forums/forum/60-player-support/

I realized too late and didn't see it since the section was empty.

Still curious though, anyone know?

Edited by sneakybae

56 minutes ago, EYECE said:

you that bored you gon make a whole ass thread to ask a dumbass question like dis?

Who made you in charge of judging wether the question is dumb or not? 
Unfortunately moving to a new game doesn’t necessarily mean a better and less toxic community.

1 hour ago, sneakybae said:

This is probably a really dumb question, can someone enlighten me though. What's the benefit of it? Just want to learn.

I come from a server that don't use underscore in the in-game name. Is it pure nostalgia from earlier game version, beneficial somehow?

And lastly, will there be an option for players to toggle this to their liking?

Simpler to manage when it comes to IG commands I guess. 
But overall good question, myself I didn’t know you could use space in SAMP.

• Thumbs 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, sneakybae said:

Shit, now I want to make it deep. Can we spark a discussion about this and the possibility to have players the ability to toggle in between the two?

Well this is in the general discussion thread, so no need to move it to player support or whatever. Feel free to talk it out here and post your questions and opinions here.

The use of the underscore makes it easier for people to do commands on other players. For example paying, selling cars, giving weapons/drugs, etc.

It is far easier to do it with an underscore in case there is a person with the same name on the server at the same time. That is how it's been done on SAMP, but might change on LSRP:V with the addition of for example proximity commands. If there is for example two Johns on the server and you do /pay John, it'll pay the closest John to your character.

BUT! Legal Faction /forums/ have switched the format from Name_Lastname to Name Lastname. The current UCP that early supporters/staff have has the old underscore format still. But I'm sure that it's a subject to change, same goes for the in-game name and healthbar that you can see in the snippets, etc. 

At the end of the day, we might keep the underscore format. I'm pulling the information out of my ass and there is two more months of server development, there will be a lot of changes and the names are not a priority compared to the other systems that need to be done and perfected.

• Clap 2

5 hours ago, Duckling said:

Well this is in the general discussion thread, so no need to move it to player support or whatever. Feel free to talk it out here and post your questions and opinions here.

The use of the underscore makes it easier for people to do commands on other players. For example paying, selling cars, giving weapons/drugs, etc.

It is far easier to do it with an underscore in case there is a person with the same name on the server at the same time. That is how it's been done on SAMP, but might change on LSRP:V with the addition of for example proximity commands. If there is for example two Johns on the server and you do /pay John, it'll pay the closest John to your character.

BUT! Legal Faction /forums/ have switched the format from Name_Lastname to Name Lastname. The current UCP that early supporters/staff have has the old underscore format still. But I'm sure that it's a subject to change, same goes for the in-game name and healthbar that you can see in the snippets, etc. 

At the end of the day, we might keep the underscore format. I'm pulling the information out of my ass and there is two more months of server development, there will be a lot of changes and the names are not a priority compared to the other systems that need to be done and perfected.

Thank you for the insight, really answered everything I wanted to know and even more.

I understand there's a priority, the staff working hard for the launch etc. Working on a way to toggle this might be too complicated, but if possible I'd love to see it or maybe have the format completely changed in the end. I can see the old format being nostalgic for all the veterans. However, moving forward should bring changes and as you mentioned now, there's proximity in the mix.

12 hours ago, EYECE said:

I find it fairly warranted.

I dunno if it changed in SAMP's later years but you couldn't use spaces in your username so we had underscores. As far back as 2010 and earlier, servers couldn't even omit the underscores so it looked like: "Chris_Bluman says: ..." It's just a legacy thing but I'd rather us use underscores and have the script omit them when we type.

15 minutes ago, Bluman said:

I dunno if it changed in SAMP's later years but you couldn't use spaces in your username so we had underscores. As far back as 2010 and earlier, servers couldn't even omit the underscores so it looked like: "Chris_Bluman says: ..." It's just a legacy thing but I'd rather us use underscores and have the script omit them when we type.

Yeah maybe it's just retarded nostalgia speaking (I thought the underscores looked stupid when I first joined too) but I'd like to see them return.

Newer players like me are just gonna have to deal with and get used to it, seems like the majority are in favor of the underscore.

Anyway, I have updated the OP to include a poll. Please cast your vote there too, just interesting to see what the players of LSRP want. Multiple choice option enabled as well.

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, sneakybae said:

Can you clarify what won't be a thing? Going to add it to the OP so anyone else who's also looking for this answer will have it said there.

ytou wont be able to see name tags through walls and it wont be like John_Jackson or whatever nor wil lyou be able to see them when the othe rplayer is crouched etc

• Strong 1

23 hours ago, Bluman said:

That's one of the reasons I heard the most of. Quite sure it was a throughout thing with SA:MP. But I am quite sure most servers moved to the format of logging in there with UCP names because of that as well. In LSRP V it shouldn't be a thing. GTA V allows spacebars in the name (afaik) and shouldn't really limit that in any way. The other big GTA V RP server does not have underscores in their names and also allow multiple names and - in the name.

I'm not sure how relevant the "easier to type commands" thing is, but it sort of makes sense, though most people used IDs in SA:MP days anyway.

• Clap 1

• 2 weeks later...

i am ancient. the _ was always a client limitation to the SAMP client. you had to set your "nick" on the client before joining a server and that field (for whatever reason) did not support spaces. thus, for the entire history of LS:RP there has been an _ between names.

whether or not GTA V has that limitation, i do not actually know. however, if we are able to omit the _ i am in support of that, just looks cleaner i suppose.

• OK 1

17 minutes ago, Bean said:

i am ancient. the _ was always a client limitation to the SAMP client. you had to set your "nick" on the client before joining a server and that field (for whatever reason) did not support spaces. thus, for the entire history of LS:RP there has been an _ between names.

whether or not GTA V has that limitation, i do not actually know. however, if we are able to omit the _ i am in support of that, just looks cleaner i suppose.

was just about to type this 

it don't fall out the sky, gotta start with nothin

On 1/1/2022 at 10:51 PM, sneakybae said:

Newer players like me are just gonna have to deal with and get used to it, seems like the majority are in favor of the underscore.

Anyway, I have updated the OP to include a poll. Please cast your vote there too, just interesting to see what the players of LSRP want. Multiple choice option enabled as well.

Spoke a bit too soon, looks like the majority prefers no underscore. Personally, I prefer no underscore but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Great question though, I wasn't even aware of this until you brought it up.

• jack locked this topic