Thoughts on ped skins?

Lacoste The Builder

1 hour ago, Lacoste The Builder said:

Should they be allowed or at least be an option between the GTA:O character creation for players?

IMO an option would be good due to GTA:O character creation restrictions.

I believe they should be allowed, it's always good to have a choice then none at all. 

Ped skins do offer different types of assets such as being chubby or looking a certain way which is not offered in the GTA:O character creation, some people prefer them and I consider that as a benefit to the server, players choice. 

Edited by Natasha Valentine
  • OK 1

0hO1ou7.gifXoiz438.gif

13 minutes ago, Natasha Valentine said:

I believe they should be allowed, it's always good to have a choice then none at all. 

Ped skins do offer different types of assets such as being chubby or looking a certain way which is not offered in the GTA:O character creation, some people prefer them and I consider that as a benefit to the server, players choice. 

I totally agree with this

Really like this idea. I always though GTAO's character creation was absolute trash (though I think we'll be getting something slightly more customizable iirc? I haven't played GTAO in years) even in 2013 so this would be a nice way to circumvent it if someone can't get anything that resembles a human.

Not to mention that of course, R* didn't really care to add proper body sliders so everyone is basically a carbon copy of eachother.

Edited by IdleStacks
  • Thumbs 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think they should be allowed, there are a lot of ped skins that allow for body types / characters that are literally impossible to get with the customisable skin due to body size being the same. I've ran into some cool encounters that were made more immersive by people using ped skins on other servers.

3 minutes ago, Mikee said:

I think they are needed but remember that actually PED Skins can't modify their outfit, so you wouldn't be able to change your clothes for work ( example ), for an event etc...

We couldn't on LS:RP either, though.

GTA:W restricts them and I think it's the dumbest shit ever. I can't make a character without them looking like an oblivion custom character with the sliders dialed way the fuck up. Even if I follow a guide I always end up with my attempts at Eazy-E looking like fucking Cruella Deville 

2 hours ago, Mikee said:

I think they are needed but remember that actually PED Skins can't modify their outfit, so you wouldn't be able to change your clothes for work ( example ), for an event etc...

You actually can, some ped skins has other clothing to change to and faces. I've tried it out myself on a test server.

Edited by Lacoste The Builder

I like them, I'd love to have them on the server

But the main argument I've heard so far is:

- It takes away from the GTA 5 character customization experience and no one wants to see duplicate skins like we have on SAMP.

From a dev standpoint:

- The few ped models I've tried, you can't apply clothing on them and most of our script jobs will require changing in to a uniform so these models would be incompatible which we can't have. If @Lacoste The Builder is right, we could make a list of which peds can have their clothes changed and allow them based off of that. I wouldn't expect anything like that until post launch though.

• Thumbs 7

2012 - 2024

4 hours ago, Kane said:

- It takes away from the GTA 5 character customization experience and no one wants to see duplicate skins like we have on SAMP.

If I'm being honest, that's never bothered anyone and most people love ped skins. I for one am willing to sacrifice being able to extensively customize my character to be able to use a ped skin (specifically one of the marabunta grande gang skins), I'm not a fan of GTAO Skins because they look pretty much the same as every other GTA O skin no matter how much u mess around with the face

4 hours ago, Kane said:

- The few ped models I've tried, you can't apply clothing on them and most of our script jobs will require changing in to a uniform so these models would be incompatible which we can't have. If @Lacoste The Builder is right, we could make a list of which peds can have their clothes changed and allow them based off of that. I wouldn't expect anything like that until post launch though.

Like I said above, this is something I (and most others that want ped skins) are also very willing to sacrifice in order to be able to use a pedestrian skin instead of a GTAO skin. Script jobs have never meant a great deal to me (or others) so not being able to use script jobs as a ped skin doesn't really bother me, or most others.

Edited by La Tweaker

2 hours ago, Kane said:

I'm being completely honest with you, the other server use to have ped skins for players to use and you would barely see players use ped skins. The duplication would be one of the least issues as there is too many peds too choose from, I believe there is about 800+ right now if you include the new GTAO DLCs as well.

I doubt a lot of people would use ped skins, but having an option for it at least would be nice.

Edited by Lacoste The Builder
  • Thumbs 1

3 hours ago, Kane said:

I like them, I'd love to have them on the server

From a dev standpoint:

what customization experience? the vast majority of freemode blendshapes look horrible and are completely unviable for character design. if u go on world or another popular server you'll come across the same 10 faces and hairstyles because while yes, there are a plethora of choices, most of them suck ass and only a few combinations end up being used anyways

adding ped skins widens the avenue for community based modding, something which had an undeniable impact on lsrp's growth in the samp era. its an advantage you shouldnt throw away just because it hinders development for a while. there are limitations when it comes to modding the freemode ped, limitations which could be bypassed by implementing regular peds.

here are some benefits:

unique and personal character designs which stem from the modding ecosystem

custom skeletons/yfts so characters can represent height, age and weight better. custom animations can also utilise these unique yfts which opens up the potential for unseen features. an example of this would be making a wheelchair, using the ped system, with a unique skeleton, that can be animated and synced with a character and work perfectly. you could also use this to have ped props, and animate them in great detail

interoperability with rage - addon peds are very easy to implement (pretty much drag and drop)

theyre very modular in design (a modder can easily export a ped, add or edit a clothing/body variation, then put it back in the game)

bypass freemode limitations (like the game crushing all racial textures to 1mb dxt5) which prevents high quality modding of faces etc

i really do think its something with untapped potential and itd be a shame to have it thrown on the backburner like world

Edited by yekim
  • Thumbs 2

5 hours ago, Kane said:

Not gonna lie that's a positive for me lol the experience is ass, GTAO's character creator is really, really, really bad. Like low effort MMO from 2004 bad. It was outdated the moment SR1 came out in 2006. I have no problem keeping it in for the people who will inevitably want to spend a lot of time customizing what their character wears and shit because that's a big part of the roleplaying community now but for me, what you actually end up with instead of unique people is a bunch of weird looking subhumans who all look similar and very vaguely resemble wax figures of people.

Not gonna comment on the dev stuff though because I don't know anything about that, but I feel like while the uniforms are probably really cool and a great idea... I don't think they're worth losing ped skins for.

Edit: If what Yekim said is true, that would be some absolute game-changer shit. The kind of things we could only dream of on SAMP.

Edited by IdleStacks
  • Thumbs 1

47 minutes ago, yekim said:

what customization experience? the vast majority of freemode blendshapes look horrible and are completely unviable for character design. if u go on world or another popular server you'll come across the same 10 faces and hairstyles because while yes, there are a plethora of choices, most of them suck ass and only a few combinations end up being used anyways

adding ped skins widens the avenue for community based modding, something which had an undeniable impact on lsrp's growth in the samp era. its an advantage you shouldnt throw away just because it hinders development for a while. there are limitations when it comes to modding the freemode ped, limitations which could be bypassed by implementing regular peds.

here are some benefits:

unique and personal character designs which stem from the modding ecosystem

custom skeletons/yfts so characters can represent height, age and weight better. custom animations can also utilise these unique yfts which opens up the potential for unseen features. an example of this would be making a wheelchair, using the ped system, with a unique skeleton, that can be animated and synced with a character and work perfectly. you could also use this to have ped props, and animate them in great detail

interoperability with rage - addon peds are very easy to implement (pretty much drag and drop)

theyre very modular in design (a modder can easily export a ped, add or edit a clothing/body variation, then put it back in the game)

bypass freemode limitations (like the game crushing all racial textures to 1mb dxt5) which prevents high quality modding of faces etc

i really do think its something with untapped potential and itd be a shame to have it thrown on the backburner like world

Adding on to this, each ped skin (Especially the gang related skins) have about 6 different faces and 2-3 different oufits (with the option to change the clothing color aswell) that can be selected, each of them being completely unique, so while 'duplicate' ped skins are worrysome to some, its highly unlikely that you'll see the same ped skin with the exact same face and clothing combinations and while the customization for these skins isnt as 'freely customizable' as some of the GTAO skins, they look alot better than the GTAO skins in my opinion, especially if you're like me and roleplay a gang member, I'd personally rather walk around with a skin that is barely customizable but looks how I imagine my char (The picture below), than walk around looking like a walking chess board, or a dickhead with a scorpion tattooed on my face.

unknown.png

Another pro is that if you're using a ped skin, players react differently to your character. On world when I used a Marabunta ped, people actually reacted to my char like he was a gangbanger and some even rped fear / got out of the way, walking around as a GTAO skin, people generally just react to you how they react to most other characters.

Ped skins can also be heavily modded and modded ped skins can very easily be added in to the game to fit with just about any gang that can be roleplayed, for example, there's mods that replace the gang peds with characters that look like bloods, crips, 18th streeters, surenos and mara salvatrucha members.

MS-13.png

7e3309-20170701142119_1.jpg

a251a8-18hgs3242342342344354356545643453

869f2f-2015-12-17_00018.jpg

UAI=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Edited by La Tweaker
  • Thumbs 6
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, La Tweaker said:

Adding on to this, each ped skin (Especially the gang related skins) have about 6 different faces and 2-3 different oufits (with the option to change the clothing color aswell) that can be selected, each of them being completely unique, so while 'duplicate' ped skins are worrysome to some, its highly unlikely that you'll see the same ped skin with the exact same face and clothing combinations and while the customization for these skins isnt as 'freely customizable' as some of the GTAO skins, they look alot better than the GTAO skins in my opinion, especially if you're like me and roleplay a gang member, I'd personally rather walk around with a skin that is barely customizable but looks how I imagine my char (The picture below), than walk around looking like a walking chess board, or a dickhead with a scorpion tattooed on my face.

unknown.png

Another pro is that if you're using a ped skin, players react differently to your character. On world when I used a Marabunta ped, people actually reacted to my char like he was a gangbanger and some even rped fear / got out of the way, walking around as a GTAO skin, people generally just react to you how they react to most other characters.

Ped skins can also be heavily modded and modded ped skins can very easily be added in to the game to fit with just about any gang that can be roleplayed, for example, there's mods that replace the gang peds with characters that look like bloods, crips, 18th streeters, surenos and mara salvatrucha members.

MS-13.png

7e3309-20170701142119_1.jpg

a251a8-18hgs3242342342344354356545643453

869f2f-2015-12-17_00018.jpg

UAI=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Pretty much sums it up. Ped skins are definitely a must.