How can we make illegal RP better?

springie

Without divulging into the past of LS-RP, I'm pretty sure that most people can agree of the various phases, stages and modes that the illegal roleplaying community, players and admins both went through. There are times were things seemed a lot better and times were I'm sure some of us felt the need to pull out hair. I focus upon illegal roleplay here because it is a big part of the server that goes to the opinion of many, unrequited on the largest competitor in the game at present. This is not a thread aimed at highlighting the issues that may exist within that community but looking at how such issues can be dealt with here to make the future of illegal RP even better. People are welcome to highlight why they agree or disagree with any of the points I will raise and share any ideas of their own.

A collective focus to try and make everything feel more real, immersive. I'd say one problem that immediately springs to mind about the illegal community is how often at times, many gangs often felt as if they were foreign countries far-far until the point came where one gang had to shoot at another and then individuals who are now shooting at each other know pretty much nothing about the other gang. Realistically, you know the gangs you are beefing with, there is always blood ties, someones cousin, someone went to school with another member, hell, even somebody used to play xbox live with another member. I know these attributes are entirely human and we can not simulate them all with the little time we get to play, but I think it'd be cool to build a bridge. Remember how old factions forum would have an IC rumours, the streets, or whatever section?

I think a say, totally opt-in, discord which focuses on the streets, welcome to everyone could be a good factor to try and make things feel more organic. This wouldn't really be a chat for people to fellate themselves and tell you about how many characters their body has, but to let people in a meaningful way, develop lore to their hoods. Not everyone will join it and that's fine, but I do believe this to be a good idea for more gang orientated characters.

Even since LSRP was around the middle of it's life span in the 2015 social media has changed vastly with the whole Chicago era even having a ripple effect on gangs in Cali, NY and London. Net banging has a big effect on gang-banging through snapchat, tik-tok, twitter. Not just faceinvader/facebook. This'd be a good hub to encourage content that could survive on places like that. I'm not suggesting that people post on a discord chat like they're using tiktok, but for edited screenshots, etc etc - I think it could be a good place to post that there too. 

I know a lot of this can be stuff people put down to learning IC, but I think this plugs a whole new avenue of roleplay into the server. Even in character videos that might go viral within a community of an area, like the recent shooting of Oroy, a fight or whatever. They can often get posted on an in-character format on faceinvader and often just fall behind everything else. I think sharing it there is like how videos get downloaded, screen recorded saved and sent everywhere.

Character kill applications. Some characters were cockroaches that could never die despite how many times they got lit up, /q to avoid. I do believe like on the competitor, if someone has a CK forced on them (following an application, etc, etc) they should receive the option to change the name of their character. Unless people are that desperate to get their friend go through the application progress to kill them, most people will spend the $1 on the namechange. Characters that are imprisoned are still alive and can try and get out of prison legally. At certain times, characters should be suspectible to being character killed. Like, once you joined a faction many of the character kill agreements felt rather one sided. There's sometimes infighting within hoods, over women, money, whatever and this can lead to people from the same set being killed. This could come both at permissions granted by the leaders of a faction or, faction management, a step above them. The hoods a struggle, people die. We should not let people get CK'd from usual dumb gang shit, but loosing ones character should be something enforced at times. 

Another thing that springs to mind is weed. San Andreas is San Andreas but let's be honest. It is modelled after California and, I think it should be representative of it. People might argue that it is an in character change to be made, but it is something else to be considered I think and something else that will help us stand out from opposition servers. We can still allow illegally, lots of weed to factions who are interested but I believe branded goods, goods from stores, weed shops IC add both a new avenue of roleplay legally and illegally. Weed legalisation will probably never happen on world. With a community of mostly young men, whatever anyone will vote party wise or RP in terms of politics would not fully represent the state as a whole and it is not that we need to dictate what happens in the servers IC politics scene, but San Andreas is sorta represenative of California in 2013 in a lot of GTA V and the roleplay servers that are based around it. The original LS was stuck in the past for a while too. 

I think modernising will really help.

• Thumbs 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie2Polez said:

Keeping the LS-RP official status system would be a good start. 

Yes, but have other scripts. Let other factions get guns, etc to a lesser extent. It's laughable that you'd need to find big plugs to get a gun in the south central. 

• CJ 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, springie said:

I think a say, totally opt-in, discord which focuses on the streets, welcome to everyone could be a good factor to try and make things feel more organic. This wouldn't really be a chat for people to fellate themselves and tell you about how many characters their body has, but to let people in a meaningful way, develop lore to their hoods. Not everyone will join it and that's fine, but I do believe this to be a good idea for more gang orientated characters.

There could be no worse thing than bringing roleplay to OOC means. People already found retarded ways to beef in LSRP back when everyone used their own Teamspeak, let alone having everyone in a single chat getting mad at eachother because X crew hit up Z crew unprovoked or Y crew keeps provoking X crew for no reason. Keep roleplay in the server as much as possible.

A Facebook rippoff for our social media needs should eventually be implemented, like you said, e-banging has reached stratospheric levels in the last half a dozen years and no "realistic" depiction of gangs can be complete without the internet gangsters these days. But sharing IC shit in OOC channels is just a recipe for disaster in a million different ways. One of which is... no offense but I don't want to see people with stupid ass profile pictures like mine post IC shit acting like they're gangbangers, it's immersion breaking (and funny) to say the least.

Character kill applications. Some characters were cockroaches that could never die despite how many times they got lit up, /q to avoid. I do believe like on the competitor, if someone has a CK forced on them (following an application, etc, etc) they should receive the option to change the name of their character. Unless people are that desperate to get their friend go through the application progress to kill them, most people will spend the $1 on the namechange. Characters that are imprisoned are still alive and can try and get out of prison legally. At certain times, characters should be suspectible to being character killed. Like, once you joined a faction many of the character kill agreements felt rather one sided. There's sometimes infighting within hoods, over women, money, whatever and this can lead to people from the same set being killed. This could come both at permissions granted by the leaders of a faction or, faction management, a step above them. The hoods a struggle, people die. We should not let people get CK'd from usual dumb gang shit, but loosing ones character should be something enforced at times.

I'm of the opinion that Faction Management should force CK wars on factions who have been beefing violently, consistently, for ridiculously long periods of time. I've been in protracted PK wars and they really just aren't fun, eventually. You're logging on every day and you know some car filled with 4 guys armed with automatics is going to show up and shit on you eventually, and the same thing goes on for some times WEEKS, with the attacker and attacked alternating between eachother.

This would deter people from constantly mass murdering eachother's blocks as the looming sword of a forced CK war (and actual consequences, imagine that) hangs over them. This would also guarantee that only smarter and less violent factions stay around for long. And no, I don't believe a mutual CK war agreement is enough. A bigger, more well connected faction has no reason to ever accept a CK war if they're smart at all because they will eventually win by attrition. More soldiers, more guns, more patience means a smaller faction is fucked because their attacks have less impact,or fail, or they just can't afford guns every day to retaliate.

Another thing that springs to mind is weed. San Andreas is San Andreas but let's be honest. It is modelled after California and, I think it should be representative of it. People might argue that it is an in character change to be made, but it is something else to be considered I think and something else that will help us stand out from opposition servers. We can still allow illegally, lots of weed to factions who are interested but I believe branded goods, goods from stores, weed shops IC add both a new avenue of roleplay legally and illegally. Weed legalisation will probably never happen on world. With a community of mostly young men, whatever anyone will vote party wise or RP in terms of politics would not fully represent the state as a whole and it is not that we need to dictate what happens in the servers IC politics scene, but San Andreas is sorta represenative of California in 2013 in a lot of GTA V and the roleplay servers that are based around it. The original LS was stuck in the past for a while too. 

I think modernising will really help.

I don't agree. You have to think on this; crime is, increasingly, harder to commit, as avenues of making money through illicit means either get more esoteric or disappear completely, or the police crack down on them. As these activities become more esoteric, it also gets way, way harder to properly simulate them in a game that wasn't made with simulating them in mind; how do you simulate one of the most common criminal activities today, for example, card skimming and other credit-card related scams? You can't. The game isn't equipped for it and trying to program such a thing, make it useful and balance it in how hard it is to do and how much money it gives is a herculean task. We have to make some concessions to modern-day realism like keeping weed illegal so that illegal roleplayers can actually have easy avenues of making money, or else you end up with a situation where RPing a criminal is a chore where you're making 20 bucks per day selling crack to the one guy on the server bothering to roleplay a crackhead.

At the end of the day, it's a game and one not meant to simulate Los Angeles, but meant to simulate Los Santos. Los Santos has its own culture, its own history, its own people, its own laws and its own everything. It's why I always found it really stupid that people got mad when others roleplayed factions that "realistically" don't really have a presence in real life LA  - LS is LS exactly for that, to give us MORE roleplay freedom so that we can have more fun and more variety, and bend the rules of real life whenever need be so that we can make it at least mildly fun to play.

On the topic of real-life brands in clothing; I'm of the opinion that they shouldn't be around. Management should really just make up their own brands - give the server its own culture, don't just jack shit from real life and have it interacting with shirts from fake teams and fake places. I know a lot of them are sexual innuendo and other such jokes, but it's more than possible to roleplay around these anyway, just ignore the fact that it was originally meant as a joke.

Not to mention that making money off LSRP and having real-life brands in it opens it up to litigation if it eventually gets big enough to warrant it. And on a smaller, more personal note, I always thought it looked fucking retarded to have real-life brands in GTA games, cars, stores, fast food places, etc etc, it just doesn't fit the GTA game vibe.

Edited by IdleStacks
  • Love 3

There needs to be consequences severe enough to counterbalance reckless decision making. Jail sentences for murder related charges should be lengthy, dying when orchestrating an attack on enemy gangs should mean CK, guns, or bullets, should be a difficult asset to acquire to reduce the amount of shells flying. 

We live in different times now, but them old school shoebox gun days were always the move. One gun between the entire crew, she be gettin passed around like a hot potato every time shit got poppin. Now we've adopted Chicago era gangbangin, where young children buy dirty handguns linked to strings of murders across the Southside for the cost of an Xbox live membership.

On 12/16/2021 at 1:52 PM, springie said:

Yes, but have other scripts. Let other factions get guns, etc to a lesser extent. It's laughable that you'd need to find big plugs to get a gun in the south central. 

Yeah idk why people think only russians etc sell guns that u can't buy a gun off a gang lol. Couldn't agree more.

21 21 21

It would be nice if the Combat Pistol and SNS Pistol were easily obtainable by illegal RPers. Make the more overpowered weapons like Automatic Rifles, SMGs, High Caliber Pistols and Weapon Attachments harder to find, requiring connections and plugs.

Besides we all know that these plugs will only supply the same group of people they have coordinated and allied with for years. Then those people will stockpile and hoard these weapons. What transpires in-character has very little to do with who has access to the guns. 

Allow unofficial and smaller groups to get a small amount of weapons. A few pistols, knives and ammunition every month. Also allow for PF weapons to be exchanged, sold and the licensing to be obtained by criminals freely. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Kirigakure said:

It would be nice if the Combat Pistol and SNS Pistol were easily obtainable by illegal RPers. Make the more overpowered weapons like Automatic Rifles, SMGs, High Caliber Pistols and Weapon Attachments harder to find, requiring connections and plugs.

Besides we all know that these plugs will only supply the same group of people they have coordinated and allied with for years. Then those people will stockpile and hoard these weapons. What transpires in-character has very little to do with who has access to the guns. 

Allow unofficial and smaller groups to get a small amount of weapons. A few pistols, knives and ammunition every month. Also allow for PF weapons to be exchanged, sold and the licensing to be obtained by criminals freely. 

Seriously this. If people are so afraid of there being "more DM" etc - make the punishment for DM harsher. It shouldn't take years and years to establish a good illegal economy of guns and drugs because someone doesn't have enough OOC connections.

Illegal RP feels so weird and boring on other servers because you have to awkwardly go to high end clubs miles out of the hood to make IC connections just to get shot down by some Russian who says "I'm dry right now, but i'll sell you a half ounce of cocaine."

"How can we make illegal RP better?"

Like I said above, this ties into: idk why people think only russians etc sell guns that u can't buy a gun off a gang lol, shouldn't have to do that ^ to get a gun.

Edited by Ronnie2Polez

21 21 21

8 minutes ago, Ronnie2Polez said:

Seriously this. If people are so afraid of there being "more DM" etc - make the punishment for DM harsher. It shouldn't take years and years to establish a good illegal economy of guns and drugs because someone doesn't have enough OOC connections.

Illegal RP feels so weird and boring on other servers because you have to awkwardly go to high end clubs miles out of the hood to make IC connections just to get shot down by some Russian who says "I'm dry right now, but i'll sell you a half ounce of cocaine."

"How can we make illegal RP better?"

Like I said above, this ties into: idk why people think only russians etc sell guns that u can't buy a gun off a gang lol, shouldn't have to do that ^ to get a gun.

yeah. even the strawman system, which was designed specifically to combat gun scarcity had the opposite effect. it led to this disgusting ecosystem where weapon distributors became pseudo admins who granted people the luxury of gun roleplay and took it upon themselves to regulate what others did. sure, renowned factions like PEN1 and EC13 had no issues obtaining guns because they were in the upper echelon of roleplay but if you were an up and coming group without notoriety or OOC connections? doomed. 

nobody wants to blow a mafia member for 2 months buying kilos of drugs just to get a glimpse of firearm roleplay, it leads to a toxic environment where people care too much about their possessions and will engage in overly aggressive behavior to protect them. getting robbed at gun point? np, ill pull out my own gun and try to kill them because the alternative is a worse outcome. scared of being stomped out in a script fight? np i'll just scroll and dome them because i don't want to risk losing my gun. 

make pistols piss easy to obtain and bump up the severity of deathmatching

• Clap 1

12 minutes ago, yekim said:

yeah. even the strawman system, which was designed specifically to combat gun scarcity had the opposite effect. it led to this disgusting ecosystem where weapon distributors became pseudo admins who granted people the luxury of gun roleplay and took it upon themselves to regulate what others did. sure, renowned factions like PEN1 and EC13 had no issues obtaining guns because they were in the upper echelon of roleplay but if you were an up and coming group without notoriety or OOC connections? doomed. 

nobody wants to blow a mafia member for 2 months buying kilos of drugs just to get a glimpse of firearm roleplay, it leads to a toxic environment where people care too much about their possessions and will engage in overly aggressive behavior to protect them. getting robbed at gun point? np, ill pull out my own gun and try to kill them because the alternative is a worse outcome. scared of being stomped out in a script fight? np i'll just scroll and dome them because i don't want to risk losing my gun. 

make pistols piss easy to obtain and bump up the severity of deathmatching

seriously. and lets not restrict buying those better guns from only euros or mafias lol, street gangs can get/sell guns just as easy as anyone else. not every gun comes off a "boat" lol 

21 21 21

On 12/16/2021 at 9:57 PM, IdleStacks said:

There could be no worse thing than bringing roleplay to OOC means. People already found retarded ways to beef in LSRP back when everyone used their own Teamspeak, let alone having everyone in a single chat getting mad at eachother because X crew hit up Z crew unprovoked or Y crew keeps provoking X crew for no reason. Keep roleplay in the server as much as possible.

A Facebook rippoff for our social media needs should eventually be implemented, like you said, e-banging has reached stratospheric levels in the last half a dozen years and no "realistic" depiction of gangs can be complete without the internet gangsters these days. But sharing IC shit in OOC channels is just a recipe for disaster in a million different ways. One of which is... no offense but I don't want to see people with stupid ass profile pictures like mine post IC shit acting like they're gangbangers, it's immersion breaking (and funny) to say the least.

I'm of the opinion that Faction Management should force CK wars on factions who have been beefing violently, consistently, for ridiculously long periods of time. I've been in protracted PK wars and they really just aren't fun, eventually. You're logging on every day and you know some car filled with 4 guys armed with automatics is going to show up and shit on you eventually, and the same thing goes on for some times WEEKS, with the attacker and attacked alternating between eachother.

This would deter people from constantly mass murdering eachother's blocks as the looming sword of a forced CK war (and actual consequences, imagine that) hangs over them. This would also guarantee that only smarter and less violent factions stay around for long. And no, I don't believe a mutual CK war agreement is enough. A bigger, more well connected faction has no reason to ever accept a CK war if they're smart at all because they will eventually win by attrition. More soldiers, more guns, more patience means a smaller faction is fucked because their attacks have less impact,or fail, or they just can't afford guns every day to retaliate.

I don't agree. You have to think on this; crime is, increasingly, harder to commit, as avenues of making money through illicit means either get more esoteric or disappear completely, or the police crack down on them. As these activities become more esoteric, it also gets way, way harder to properly simulate them in a game that wasn't made with simulating them in mind; how do you simulate one of the most common criminal activities today, for example, card skimming and other credit-card related scams? You can't. The game isn't equipped for it and trying to program such a thing, make it useful and balance it in how hard it is to do and how much money it gives is a herculean task. We have to make some concessions to modern-day realism like keeping weed illegal so that illegal roleplayers can actually have easy avenues of making money, or else you end up with a situation where RPing a criminal is a chore where you're making 20 bucks per day selling crack to the one guy on the server bothering to roleplay a crackhead.

At the end of the day, it's a game and one not meant to simulate Los Angeles, but meant to simulate Los Santos. Los Santos has its own culture, its own history, its own people, its own laws and its own everything. It's why I always found it really stupid that people got mad when others roleplayed factions that "realistically" don't really have a presence in real life LA  - LS is LS exactly for that, to give us MORE roleplay freedom so that we can have more fun and more variety, and bend the rules of real life whenever need be so that we can make it at least mildly fun to play.

On the topic of real-life brands in clothing; I'm of the opinion that they shouldn't be around. Management should really just make up their own brands - give the server its own culture, don't just jack shit from real life and have it interacting with shirts from fake teams and fake places. I know a lot of them are sexual innuendo and other such jokes, but it's more than possible to roleplay around these anyway, just ignore the fact that it was originally meant as a joke.

Not to mention that making money off LSRP and having real-life brands in it opens it up to litigation if it eventually gets big enough to warrant it. And on a smaller, more personal note, I always thought it looked fucking retarded to have real-life brands in GTA games, cars, stores, fast food places, etc etc, it just doesn't fit the GTA game vibe.

This is great input, thank you.

Do you think there could be an alternative for some of the points I raised or do they not work for you at all?

1 hour ago, springie said:

This is great input, thank you.

Do you think there could be an alternative for some of the points I raised or do they not work for you at all?

Well, going by points;

1) I don't think having an OOC server for people to chat in is a good idea in any way shape or form, to me, it's just retarded drama waiting to happen for whatever reasons and in any case, it's good practice to keep roleplay on the server as much as humanly possible. Like I said, the IC social media clone could be more than enough if it's any good, at least then we can keep the e-banging to the server itself.

2) In principle I agree with the concept of CK applications, but it's also something that I feel has to be treated with a LOT of seriousness and only be doled out to the most cockroach-like characters who constantly pull/try to pull ridiculous shit and often end up dying for it. What happened in-character to lead to the future murder should be documented extensively through screenshots (videos, if possible) and whoever would handle applications should check for the quality of RP to make sure someone isn't going to get CK'ed for a reason that just isn't worth deleting someone's character over. TLDR: could work, but it'd be tough to handle properly I think.

3) Like I said, I think modernising would wipe out too many avenues of criminal roleplay and probably heavily complicate a lot of the RP that's easily accessible to people (like selling drugs). I can't really find a good angle for this.

On 12/17/2021 at 7:57 AM, IdleStacks said:

I agreed with most of what u said, but this. Sports teams (especially real life brands) are vital for gang roleplay, as every sports team out there has a logo/letter that they represent, each of these letters also represents a specific, or multiple gangs. The in game 'teams' consist of three teams, the magnetics, the feud and the boars, so unless the only 3 gangs are Mafia Crips, MS-13, Florencia and Bloods (That for some reason wear purple hats) then using the ingame teams to represent your gang IC is really non feasible. To enhance gang roleplay, we need modded clothes with real life team logos on them (even if it's only a few select teams). The only other option would be for management to go ahead and make a bunch of fake brands/teams and implement completely new designs into the game, which is really non feasible when we've got perfectly good hats to roleplay wearing to represent our factions already available on gta5mods.com and also actively being used on other RageMP communities with 0 issues.

Adding on to that, I'm not gonna roleplay drinking something that's called pisswasser, or a drink with some weird sexual innuendo. I'm gonna RP drinking Corona.

Edited by La Tweaker

On 12/19/2021 at 2:41 PM, Kirigakure said:

How do you suggest that's achieved? What are the pro's to more guns in the server and around the illegal faction community?

18 minutes ago, DDaniels said:

What are the pro's to more guns in the server and around the illegal faction community?

A more realistic illegal economy, more realistic gang rp, gangs not having to rely on russians & italians for guns when realistically no gangbanger would ever want or care to interact with either of them, because gangs get weapons in their own ways, they don't approach mafia bosses and sell them hundreds of bags of cocaine for guns.

• CJ 1

9 hours ago, La Tweaker said:

I agreed with most of what u said, but this. Sports teams (especially real life brands) are vital for gang roleplay, as every sports team out there has a logo/letter that they represent, each of these letters also represents a specific, or multiple gangs. The in game 'teams' consist of three teams, the magnetics, the feud and the boars, so unless the only 3 gangs are Mafia Crips, MS-13, Florencia and Bloods (That for some reason wear purple hats) then using the ingame teams to represent your gang IC is really non feasible. To enhance gang roleplay, we need modded clothes with real life team logos on them (even if it's only a few select teams). The only other option would be for management to go ahead and make a bunch of fake brands/teams and implement completely new designs into the game, which is really non feasible when we've got perfectly good hats to roleplay wearing to represent our factions already available on gta5mods.com and also actively being used on other RageMP communities with 0 issues.

Adding on to that, I'm not gonna roleplay drinking something that's called pisswasser, or a drink with some weird sexual innuendo. I'm gonna RP drinking Corona.

You got me with the Pisswasser lol, I forgot how overt they got with some shit in the later entries. I've seen some of the fake companies that management made up in the previews and honestly I really like them and feel like they could have come straight out of the main game. I do think the fake teams should remain, but I wouldn't be against adding a couple of real-life team hats in principle.

Kitting yourself out in full Bulls gear or whatever would be a bit too much for me though, that would just remind me of the HQ skin Chiraq era on SAMP and probably give me nightmares.

1 hour ago, IdleStacks said:

Kitting yourself out in full Bulls gear or whatever would be a bit too much for me though, that would just remind me of the HQ skin Chiraq era on SAMP and probably give me nightmares.

Yeah nah unless that gang member is a massive fan of the bulls, nobody's gonna go around fully kitted in gear tied to that team, what I'm referring to is strictly gang related hats, most other articles of clothing are trivial and wouldn't exactly need to be branded. Hat banging is a prevalent thing when it comes to modern gangs and is the go-to method nowadays for representing one's street gang and for identifying fellow/rival gang members.

https://www.gangenforcement.com/gang-adopted-sports-attire-and-commercial-logos.html

On 12/20/2021 at 7:28 PM, DDaniels said:

How do you suggest that's achieved? What are the pro's to more guns in the server and around the illegal faction community?

There should be low level guns that are available to even small unofficial factions in small amounts. In LS-RP, on several occasions, I witnessed factions that were official with admins in them dealing guns on a OOC basis.

So many people got their guns OOC it was almost socially acceptable - just don't get caught.

• Thumbs 1

I suggest an application process should be devised and made available for people who wish to roleplay as arms dealers, be they roleplaying with factions or not.

This application process should determine a couple of things. where the guns are coming from, who, if anyone, is getting the guns for the player, what the player is planning to do with the weapons, what's the long term goal for the character (kind of breaking the OOC/IC divide here, unfortunately) and the player should be making clear any and all OOC/IC affiliations they have with any factions, all this relatively long application should serve to dissuade and weed out people who would just be going "/me would get the guns from Texas" and merrily skipping off to sell guns to their OOC friends.

The ultimate objective of this application system is to make sure that there is a realistic weapon-to-end-user pipeline.

What are the pro's to more guns in the server and around the illegal faction community?

* The official faction monopoly on firearms is broken, this would made guns resemble more a commodity like any other that is subject to supply and demand, and since more supply would be introduced in the form of these unofficial arms dealers, it would help keep guns at a stable, realistic and attainable price, staving off inflation for a longer time, and diminishing its effects when it inevitably happens.

* More supply of firearms in the hands of smaller dealers means that gangbangers are no longer forced to totally-not-metagame the name of some important Italian or Russian and try to get in good with them - it gives street gangs, stick up crews and other similar factions street-level weapons dealers that they can realistically gel with well enough.

* Factions without OOC connections and copious amounts of money aren't hopeless anymore, since these street level dealers are supposedly far more accessible in terms of where they're situated in the criminal totem-pole.

* Players who are not affiliated with any official criminal factions now have the slim possibility of roleplaying an arms dealer, opening up new avenues of roleplay.

* A handful of official factions are no longer the ultimate arbiters of who gets to engage in criminal roleplay. Let's be real here, without weapons, a TON of avenues of RP are closed off to factions, no robberies, no faction attacks, no self-defence, no gun re-selling. The former system is good, but it places a ridiculous amount of trust and power into the hands of very few people.

* Gives the factions team (?) more avenues through which to control the supply of guns into the server. If whoever deals with this thinks there's too few guns in the server and is already handing out as many weapons as he's comfortable with to all the official factions, then applications can simply be opened and new weapons dealers made. And as always, if there's too many guns, you can always just lower the amount you give out.

However there are some cons as well.

* You risk flooding the server with dirt cheap, disposable weapons, which could lead to an increase in people shooting each other over minor perceived slights, deathmatching, aggression baiting police, etc etc. Nothing new, but always worth thinking about.

* More work for the various teams as the supply of firearms has to be fine-tuned to keep the server well-supplied, but not bursting.

* Whichever team is tasked with dealing with these applications (faction team? mods? testers?) will be opened up to criticism, unwarranted or not, and community scrutiny regarding which applications they're accepting and denying.

* Slightly lowers the prestige of being an official faction.

* More OOC systems in place, more opportunities for meta gaming and favoritism.

In my opinion the pros far, far outweigh the cons.

This also gives the PD the opportunity of minor investigations on individual weapons dealers to take down. Being accepted into this weapon dealer program should come with the stipulation that the PD is given permission to take you down permanently if they manage to build a case against you, encouraging good criminal roleplay and regularly weeding out characters too stupid or short sighted to last long , as well as giving the investigation arms of the police something to do other than build cases against official factions. I could stay here and wax poetic about all the incredible RP opportunities this would bring to both sides but I'm going to leave it here since this is already a really long winded post.

• Thumbs 3

Making illegal roleplay financially viable would be a great incentive as well. Back in the SAMP server, if you weren't part of an illegal faction your only options were to rely on savings or have a side hustle like trucking/fishing. You could always work a corner slinging weed or rob people, but that had a high risk with very low reward. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Anthony_Navarra said:

faction management needs to consist of people who actually play illegal characters and actively roleplay in the scene 

I can definitely agree with this. On the other server most people know  for some reason their IFM consisted of people who were primarily legal role players and has caused a lot of problems.