Vehicle Deterioration & Maintenance

EYECE

On 12/11/2021 at 9:58 PM, IdleStacks said:

Minimum service should always be guaranteed by the server. Pay-N-Spray should remain as a "bare minimum" mechanic - something that allows you to fix all visual damage (I'm not fond of the idea of every second car looking like a junker because no mechanics have logged on recently)  and keep your car rolling, albeit at minimum condition, and soon requiring another visit if you drive recklessly. At the end of the day it's a game, and we have to have concessions or soon enough everyone will be riding bycicles instead (should these be influenced by the same mechanics, by the way?)

If the demand is high, then there will always be a supply of mechanics online. It just has to be worth their time. It doesn't even have to be that expensive to get your car fixed for mechanics to profit. I don't know how fast bicycles are, but if they are fast, then just nerf their speed?

It's jobs like these that we SHOULD encourage on the server. Not a checkpoint to checkpoint scripted job. It activates role play AND it is a viable means to earn some scripted cash.

Edited by chrillzen
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, chrillzen said:

If the demand is high, then there will always be a supply of mechanics online. It just has to be worth their time. It doesn't even have to be that expensive to get your car fixed for mechanics to profit. I don't know how fast bicycles are, but if they are fast, then just nerf their speed?

It's jobs like these that we SHOULD encourage on the server. Not a checkpoint to checkpoint scripted job. It activates role play AND it is a viable means to earn some scripted cash.

You hit the nail on the head buddy. You essentially intermingle the various demographics of rpers through scripted means. It would be a dope way to create roleplay, and viability to the jobs that you choose. I am also sure this can be applied to more than just the automotive related jobs though. 

• OK 1

I like the idea, but your vehicle's condition should only affect small aspects of your vehicle. For example; engine deterioration should affect how quickly your car turns on or having low tire tread should affect your brake distance & handling in the rain, depending on the condition. Stuff that doesn't make your car undriveable, but definitely more inconvenient.  

On 12/24/2021 at 1:17 AM, RamiTR said:

I like the idea, but your vehicle's condition should only affect small aspects of your vehicle. For example; engine deterioration should affect how quickly your car turns on or having low tire tread should affect your brake distance & handling in the rain, depending on the condition. Stuff that doesn't make your car undriveable, but definitely more inconvenient.  

yeah for sure. im sure there will be an abundance of conversations that take place pertaining to this, but I agree, make the vehicles more inconvenient to drive so you are inclined to get it repaired, but do not have to if you do not necessarily want to. 

Definitely agreeing, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't implement it if a lot of people want to roleplay as a mechanic. There's a dutch horrible rp server where they implemented this. It's called the ANWB and they've got a lot of work and people that work for the company. It brings a lot of interaction.

For the vehicle it would be nice to have a lay out like this when you step in your vehicle (see spoiler). If the engine turns orange, you know you need a mechanic. If it turns red your car is broken and won't drive anymore. You know if your car is locked when the lock is red, etc.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Edited by Sheffield
  • OK 1

On 1/9/2022 at 9:59 AM, Sheffield said:

Definitely agreeing, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't implement it if a lot of people want to roleplay as a mechanic. There's a dutch horrible rp server where they implemented this. It's called the ANWB and they've got a lot of work and people that work for the company. It brings a lot of interaction.

For the vehicle it would be nice to have a lay out like this when you step in your vehicle (see spoiler). If the engine turns orange, you know you need a mechanic. If it turns red your car is broken and won't drive anymore. You know if your car is locked when the lock is red, etc.

Hide contents

spacer.png

heat

Edited by EYECE

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2021 at 8:16 AM, EYECE said:

I had a thought as I posted in the business expectation post, and wanted to garner some opinions on this idea. 

I intend on opening a mechanic shop / tow trucking business as I develop my character when the server opens. Traffic to these shops (at least in my personal experience) is usually limited to individuals who want to modify their vehicles. There is never an actual need to visit these business, and by that reasoning, visiting these locations is mere luxury. What if hypothetically there was an actual requirement to visit these mechanic shops on a basis determined by how well you operate your vehicle? Imagine this: As you drive your vehicle, damage influences a "maintenance required" value. This "maintenance required" value can be a mere percentage that grows higher as you poorly operate the vehicle. That includes damaging the vehicle, and even over regular extended use (at a slower pace of course). Once you reach that 100% thresh point, your vehicle will begin to experience random faults that can only be repaired at a mechanic shop. You cannot speed up past 50km/hr, your vehicle turns left when you attempt to turn right, you drive forward but it pushes you in reverse. These occurrences can all be random, and happen at an increasing rate as the vehicle's maintenance requirement increases in value. 

This post is intended to be an open discussion. Share your thoughts and ideas on the matter.

If you think this is a dogshit idea and I'm out to lunch feel free to say so, I am open to all criticism on the suggestion. 

I think even to simplify your idea off the start and include something a little more feasible for the server in it's beginning stages is with basic maintenance such as oil changes, brake changes, tire changes and battery life (all which could be in-game items). Partially like what you were mentioning, these statistics can degrade overtime if you don't pay attention to them and if left unchecked your vehicle's engine life will degrade and eventually will not operate after a certain threshold or break down as you're driving and come to a stop, requiring a towing service to come get you to fix your vehicle.

Another decent idea to get more vehicles into your shop for maintenance could be that collisions effect your overall vehicle health or engine health, if someone's too happy at the wheel they'll be in your shop more often than others. Fixing their engine may only go to a certain percentage (not 100%) and that cap continuously degrades until you need a new engine or new vehicle. This adds more complexity to your shop as well as used card dealerships trying to make a quick dollar.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 3:03 AM, Richard Spera said:

I think even to simplify your idea off the start and include something a little more feasible for the server in it's beginning stages is with basic maintenance such as oil changes, brake changes, tire changes and battery life (all which could be in-game items).

In-Game items sound ideal, doesn't have to be anything complicated at the start like you said, but it could eventually work with GUI-s. 

Players themselves could see their car's status from a GUI like this, shows when the battery needs changing and etc like it does IRL:

spacer.png

Something like this could be implemented into the inventory system for changing the parts with in-game items. It could have two different versions, one being accessible by mechanics at the workshop and that shows all the parts. The other one being accessible everywhere else and only shows easily changeable parts like the battery. (Crude example for the picture but the best that I could remember from some game):

spacer.png

• Thumbs 1

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

Agreeing without any doubts. Cars never meant much to players in ls-rp, because they were really easy to get and didn't require any care, hell, you didn't even need to refuel them that often - maybe once per two months, if you haven't sold or scrapped it yet. They must become assets that players worry and care about.

Unpopular opinion - this should apply to faction and company cars too. I'd love to see some proper fleet management done,

qgv23wo.png

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Think this is definitely something that should be discussed post-launch whenever new features are being discussed, think this would change ALOT surrounding sever mentality with cars. Also have to second saying it should be extended to faction vehicles, fleet management would be great to see.