Vehicle Deterioration & Maintenance

EYECE

I had a thought as I posted in the business expectation post, and wanted to garner some opinions on this idea. 

I intend on opening a mechanic shop / tow trucking business as I develop my character when the server opens. Traffic to these shops (at least in my personal experience) is usually limited to individuals who want to modify their vehicles. There is never an actual need to visit these business, and by that reasoning, visiting these locations is mere luxury. What if hypothetically there was an actual requirement to visit these mechanic shops on a basis determined by how well you operate your vehicle? Imagine this: As you drive your vehicle, damage influences a "maintenance required" value. This "maintenance required" value can be a mere percentage that grows higher as you poorly operate the vehicle. That includes damaging the vehicle, and even over regular extended use (at a slower pace of course). Once you reach that 100% thresh point, your vehicle will begin to experience random faults that can only be repaired at a mechanic shop. You cannot speed up past 50km/hr, your vehicle turns left when you attempt to turn right, you drive forward but it pushes you in reverse. These occurrences can all be random, and happen at an increasing rate as the vehicle's maintenance requirement increases in value. 

This post is intended to be an open discussion. Share your thoughts and ideas on the matter.

If you think this is a dogshit idea and I'm out to lunch feel free to say so, I am open to all criticism on the suggestion. 

ShX8Uwk.png

Credits to SHEFFIELD for the instrument cluster picture 

Edited by EYECE
  • Love 2

your vehicle turns left when you attempt to turn right, you drive forward but it pushes you in reverse.

These things don't really happen realistically. However, maybe it's a possibility to have the handling of the vehicle change the more "trashed" it becomes. Think about loss of acceleration, decreased top speed, stuttering (maybe?).

17 minutes ago, xime said:

These things don't really happen realistically. However, maybe it's a possibility to have the handling of the vehicle change the more "trashed" it becomes. Think about loss of acceleration, decreased top speed, stuttering (maybe?).

Yeah, granted I was reaching with the opposite turning idea, but the concept of a malfunctioning vehicle that requires mechanical intervention to repair is the suggestion I am pushing. How this idea is implemented is entirely beyond me, as I am not familiar with scripting potential of GTA V. 

Also wonky shifting (in reverse when you are supposed to be in drive) is definitely a realistic scenario lol. Poorly adjusted shift linkages on the transmission upto legitimate internal issues like sticky shift solenoids and worn valve bodys will cause issues like this. But again, just a suggestion, and doesn't mean it needs to be done like this specifically. I am newer to GTA V roleplay, I come from the oldschool LS-RP era (2006). I am not familiar with what GTA V is capable of from a scripting perspective, so I'm curious if this concept is even feasible. 

Edited by EYECE
  • Strong 1

I actually like this idea, I think it could also create great synergy between a bunch of professions, as taxi drivers and truckers depend on mechanics to keep their own RP going.

However, screw having your controls changed around, that's NEVER fun, in any game. I'm thinking more like decreased top speed and worsening of the car's handling (however, like you, I'm not sure if it's possible to alter the car's handling values "on the fly", so to speak).

Edited by IdleStacks
  • Strong 1

18 hours ago, IdleStacks said:

I actually like this idea, I think it could also create great synergy between a bunch of professions, as taxi drivers and truckers depend on mechanics to keep their own RP going.

However, screw having your controls changed around, that's NEVER fun, in any game. I'm thinking more like decreased top speed and worsening of the car's handling (however, like you, I'm not sure if it's possible to alter the car's handling values "on the fly", so to speak).

I like your thinkin. It can produce roleplay opportunities across the board, and adds a splash of realism to the game imo. 

It might be nice in the near future ( don't think this kind of system will be implemented at launch ), something like a system that causes the main components of the vehicle to wear out over time.

eg:

• Engine:
  • < 100.000 kilometers = GOOD
  • < 150.000 kilometers = NORMAL
  • > 200.000 kilometers = BAD -> Vehicle performance decreases ( acceleration / max speed )
  • ACTIONS: Change engine

• Battery:
  • < 1 month of life = GOOD
  • < 2 months of life = NORMAL
  • > 3 months of life = BAD -> Starting the vehicle requires several attempts
  • ACTION: Change battery 

• Turbine:
  • < 150.000 kilometers = GOOD
  • < 200.000 kilometers = NORMAL
  • > 250.000 kilometers = BAD -> Vehicle performance decreases ( max speed )
  • ACTION: Change turbine

• Tires:
  • < 10.000 kilometers = GOOD
  • < 15.000 kilometers = NORMAL
  • > 20.000 kilometers = BAD -> Vehicle handling deteriorates
  • ACTIONS: Change tires
Edited by Mikee
  • OK 1
  • Love 1

it.png  TRAINEE ADMIN MIKEE

• HEAD OF FOREIGN SECTIONS
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF ECONOMY TEAM
  • ASSISTANT HEAD OF PLAYER SUPPORT TEAM

On 12/6/2021 at 6:51 AM, Mikee said:

It might be nice in the near future ( don't think this kind of system will be implemented at launch ), something like a system that causes the main components of the vehicle to wear out over time.

eg:

• Engine:
  • > 200.000 kilometers = BAD -> Vehicle performance decreases ( acceleration / max speed )

• Battery:

• Turbine:

• Tires:

Added to main post. I like your little write-up and it sums up the functionality of this concept well. 

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, JJABOTULE said:

Yeah this would be a good little feature to the server to make people think twice when trying to jump walls or hills etc with their bikes/cars.

Good point, I didn't even think bout that. You're essentially strong-armed into being considerate of your driving habits or face the consequences. Your wheels goin' down at an inconvenient time or in an unsafe territory? Fuck that, you're gonna wanna cruise and roll around militant and diligent.

Feedback from you guys ascertains the fact that an approach like this to the vehicle system (if even possible) would add a splash of reality into our world. 

6 hours ago, EYECE said:

Good point, I didn't even think bout that. You're essentially strong-armed into being considerate of your driving habits or face the consequences. Your wheels goin' down at an inconvenient time or in an unsafe territory? Fuck that, you're gonna wanna cruise and roll around militant and diligent.

Feedback from you guys ascertains the fact that an approach like this to the vehicle system (if even possible) would add a splash of reality into our world. 

I like this concept, i'm probably going to be your top customer. +1

4 hours ago, Kreslavsky said:

I like this concept, i'm probably going to be your top customer. +1

fuck yeah buddy, you are welcome anytime. lets push this thread so we can at least get it acknowledged by the dev team, that way if this is a feasible idea you actually have a reason to come visit my shop (or any other shop for that matter). 

On 12/6/2021 at 11:51 AM, Mikee said:

Spoiler

eg:

• Engine:

• Battery:

• Turbine:

• Tires:
  •  

tire wear is a good idea. it'd be nice if you could maintain your engine to prevent it from going bad.

29 minutes ago, chrillzen said:

tire wear is a good idea. it'd be nice if you could maintain your engine to prevent it from going bad.

absolutely. i will say i am all about minimalism, and jumping into the rabbit hole of "what could go wrong with the vehicle" might be a lil excessive. if this idea is considered, the approach should be as simple as possible. Over complicating this would be easy to do because all sorts of shit can go wrong with a vehicle, but it really isn't necessary. simply inhibit the drivability of the vehicle if it is in poor condition / used for an extended period of time. when this occurs, you can go to a mechanic for maintenance where they can adequately roleplay the process of changing oil, and putting new rotors / pads on for the brakes etc to essentially "fix" or "re-instate" your vehicle at that time. 

in addition, cost of maintenance varies based on vehicle. that might reduce the amount of supercharged bugattis we have driving around. it costs approximately $1500 per axle on an S-Class AMG Mercedez (2009) for a rotor and pad change. That is $6000 to do all 4 axles. It costs about $400 for a VW Rabbit 2009. Higher end vehicles like lambos and ferrarris are even more expensive. If you vary the cost requirement based on the vehicle, people might not be able to keep up with the maintenance costs of the higher end vehicles, also promoting a more realistic street-scene. 

ideally this strat would address a lot of potential for unrealism and non-rp when it comes to vehicles, and it also directs essentially every member of the server (who owns a vehicle) to a specific business for reasonings other than personal benefit. its a chore, but vehicles are liabilities not investments and shit goes wrong all the time.

I have to post my thoughts on this.

I think if this gets implemented all vehicles should be done separately, because I have witnessed some problems on other rp servers with the vehicles being too sensitive to damage. Besides that, I would like if skilled mechanics could fix a car on the spot.

I'm intend on opening an off-road group. I have already done that on a different server, with a lot of members being irl offroaders. One of our main goals was maintaining realism with adding a little bit of structure and fun to the group (we had strict rules and a vehicle list of capable off-road vehicles, meaning it wasn't just a bunch of Elegies climbing the Chilliad, but we did climb mountains that we wouldn't be able to climb irl). HOWEVER, when we tried to rp all the crashes it was terrible. A lot of new members don't know how the group works and how GTA physics work. Sometimes we would have hard challenges during the trails, which would definetly possible irl, but would be harder to do IG, meaning that a few people would crash.

What I'm trying to say is I don't want a small roll down the hill ruin the entire trail. Also, I'd like mechanics to have the ability to fix cars on the spot, at least partly and/or temporarily. This brings realism but for our group it would ruin all the fun. In this case I'd say it's fun>realism. You can have fun off-roading IRL but it isn't the same IG, so we had to adapt, meaning we would go on more dangerous trails on a daily basis, as running through mud in a forest IG isn't really an option.

I'm staying neutral until I'm sure it won't ruin our entire plan on the server.

Edit: if a system where it gets worse over time gets implemented I'm +1, if we could finish a trail and fix our cars AFTER it, everything would be fine. That's the amount of realism I can agree with.

Edited by MoonBoom

I wouldn't mind if your vehicle could get totalled (if in a serious crash) and for it to be a pain in the ass to fix, because that would naturally encourage people not to drive like assholes. Also, I would encourage anything that adds role play to the server. It adds frustration, but it also adds another level of risk and role play. Just don't buff police vehicles. (I don't know why I feel that I have to say this). They should break just as easily as any other vehicle. (perhaps adjust damage levels from smallest -> biggest vehicle)

Yeah, maybe it sucks if you're just driving around and happen to crash. But then you're not role playing anyway. I can see this giving cabs more customers as well, for example: if there are no mechanics online. You shouldn't be able to repair your vehicle by yourself though, and not even have mechanic as a second job, because then everyone can just /v get their tow truck and fix it themselves. In that case, what's the point of having this system anyway?

Now, most people can change their own tires and fluids, BUT, if we wanted to add more interaction between players, we could have mechanics have to do that as well. (You'd have to go to a shop to get your tires and fluids changed).

6 hours ago, MoonBoom said:

I have to post my thoughts on this.

I think if this gets implemented all vehicles should be done separately, because I have witnessed some problems on other rp servers with the vehicles being too sensitive to damage. Besides that, I would like if skilled mechanics could fix a car on the spot.

I'm intend on opening an off-road group. I have already done that on a different server, with a lot of members being irl offroaders. One of our main goals was maintaining realism with adding a little bit of structure and fun to the group (we had strict rules and a vehicle list of capable off-road vehicles, meaning it wasn't just a bunch of Elegies climbing the Chilliad, but we did climb mountains that we wouldn't be able to climb irl). HOWEVER, when we tried to rp all the crashes it was terrible. A lot of new members don't know how the group works and how GTA physics work. Sometimes we would have hard challenges during the trails, which would definetly possible irl, but would be harder to do IG, meaning that a few people would crash.

What I'm trying to say is I don't want a small roll down the hill ruin the entire trail. Also, I'd like mechanics to have the ability to fix cars on the spot, at least partly and/or temporarily. This brings realism but for our group it would ruin all the fun. In this case I'd say it's fun>realism. You can have fun off-roading IRL but it isn't the same IG, so we had to adapt, meaning we would go on more dangerous trails on a daily basis, as running through mud in a forest IG isn't really an option.

I'm staying neutral until I'm sure it won't ruin our entire plan on the server.

Edit: if a system where it gets worse over time gets implemented I'm +1, if we could finish a trail and fix our cars AFTER it, everything would be fine. That's the amount of realism I can agree with.

I agree with ya. Vehicles designed for off-roading, or modified for such a purpose are of much higher durability than your average consumer car. They could either evaluate each vehicle for durability on an individual basis, or implement the ability to upgrade the durability of a vehicle by bringing it into a shop. Both are feasible options, but an individual approach may be a better undertaking if a minimalistic approach is what they are going to pursue, which is what I suggest.

In regards to mobile repair, that I disagree with. It may be an inconvenience to have to go visit a mechanic, but is it anything other than an inconvenience when your vehicle shits the bed in real life? In addition, roadside repair is a scarce occurrence and only really happens in priority situations because for one, its dangerous, and for two, you can only do so much on the side of the road lol. In short, tow trucks should be easily accessible to tow incapacitated vehicles post collision or breakdown, and mechanics accessible to do the appropriate "fix" by roleplaying accordingly, and then repairing the vehicle script-side. 

I do respect what you are sayin tho, you don't wanna be bombin' down the mountains roleplaying in an off-roading rig, and suddenly your shit breaks. I get it, and it makes sense. Although that could easily be addressed by like I said, adjusting vehicle durability based on the type / value of the vehicle. 

3 hours ago, chrillzen said:

I wouldn't mind if your vehicle could get totalled (if in a serious crash) and for it to be a pain in the ass to fix, because that would naturally encourage people not to drive like assholes. Also, I would encourage anything that adds role play to the server. It adds frustration, but it also adds another level of risk and role play. Just don't buff police vehicles. (I don't know why I feel that I have to say this). They should break just as easily as any other vehicle. (perhaps adjust damage levels from smallest -> biggest vehicle)

Yeah, maybe it sucks if you're just driving around and happen to crash. But then you're not role playing anyway. I can see this giving cabs more customers as well, for example: if there are no mechanics online. You shouldn't be able to repair your vehicle by yourself though, and not even have mechanic as a second job, because then everyone can just /v get their tow truck and fix it themselves. In that case, what's the point of having this system anyway?

Now, most people can change their own tires and fluids, BUT, if we wanted to add more interaction between players, we could have mechanics have to do that as well. (You'd have to go to a shop to get your tires and fluids changed).

Agreed dude. You put it well. It may suck to have to get your vehicle repaired, but how many times have you crashed and called "void" in /b because you didn't feel like roleplaying the shit so you blame it on sync lol! 

• EYECE changed the title to Vehicle Deterioration & Maintenance

I'm against this mostly as it'd just feel like a chore especially when owning multiple vehicles and having to run to a garage every so often. Imagine having like 500 to 1,000 players experiencing this. The garages would be constantly full, players would have to wait in line and depending on the script the mechanic shop would need to have employees running it to do upgrades for vehicles etc, elsewise you're screwed and if they are open then you'd wait 30minutes to an hour for it to be finished.  So if you're playing during a horrible timezone and there's no mechanic shops open well then I guess you're screwed. But who knows how mechanic shops will operate to begin with at server launch. 

- Multiple vehicles = Multiple fixes every so often

- Line ups since every player from ( 500 - 1000 ) would be experiencing this. 

- No mechanics, no service. Not playing in a good timezone? Well too bad. (Depends on server script, not sure how it'll work.)

- You have to get a ride from the mechanic shop and then have to go pick it up. (Multiple cars, or well players from 500 to 1000 doing this each time. )

I'm okay with a simple oil change though, but it should take months. It shouldn't be a huge hassle/annoyance for the player and that's all I'm saying. And if any of this does get implemented make sure there's plenty of mechanic shops to handle these type of requests because in a game it's very limited, it might even be a chore to find a mechanic shop to begin with, we'll have to see. And also, without any of this I think mechanic shops are going to be crazy busy as everyone will always be buying new cars and upgrading them, you probably won't even need any of this. You'd do something like this if you had no business or people coming in to make rp. I think it'll be too much to chew at once. You'll need a bunch of auto shops.

I'm not here to play mechanic simulator, but if the service is fluent and can be properly handled then sure. 

Edited by Natasha Valentine
  • Thumbs 1

0hO1ou7.gifXoiz438.gif

5 hours ago, Natasha Valentine said:

I'm against this mostly as it'd just feel like a chore especially when owning multiple vehicles and having to run to a garage every so often. Imagine having like 500 to 1,000 players experiencing this. The garages would be constantly full, players would have to wait in line and depending on the script the mechanic shop would need to have employees running it to do upgrades for vehicles etc, elsewise you're screwed and if they are open then you'd wait 30minutes to an hour for it to be finished.  So if you're playing during a horrible timezone and there's no mechanic shops open well then I guess you're screwed. But who knows how mechanic shops will operate to begin with at server launch. 

- No mechanics, no service. Not playing in a good timezone? Well too bad. (Depends on server script, not sure how it'll work.)

- You have to get a ride from the mechanic shop and then have to go pick it up. (Multiple cars, or well players from 500 to 1000 doing this each time. )

I'm okay with a simple oil change though, but it should take months. It shouldn't be a huge hassle/annoyance for the player and that's all I'm saying. And if any of this does get implemented make sure there's plenty of mechanic shops to handle these type of requests because in a game it's very limited, it might even be a chore to find a mechanic shop to begin with, we'll have to see. And also, without any of this I think mechanic shops are going to be crazy busy as everyone will always be buying new cars and upgrading them, you probably won't even need any of this. You'd do something like this if you had no business or people coming in to make rp. I think it'll be too much to chew at once. You'll need a bunch of auto shops.

I'm not here to play mechanic simulator, but if the service is fluent and can be properly handled then sure. 

I suppose, but the idea is that vehicle wear is variable, and based on how you drive. If you have to re-park your shit 30 times a day because you drive like Jackie Chan from Rush Hour, it shouldn't matter how much of an inconvenience it is to repair the vehicle, portraying realism is the intent of roleplay and life is riddled with inconveniences. You having to spend 10 minutes driving to a mechanic for him to roleplay a quick service shouldn't foster a bitter RP experience, it should send you down an avenue of RP you probably would not have normally experienced, or even chose to entertain.

Having to visit a mechanic shop for all sorts of servicing is definitely not what I am suggesting here. I shall reiterate, one single value on the vehicles durability is all that is required. Once it reaches a certain threshold you should experience some kind of limitations while operating your vehicle. Anything such as reduced maximum speed to a reduction in handling. It doesn't mean your vehicle should shit the bed completely and require a tow, but the more you let the required repairs to fix your "durability" value linger, the more inhibited your driving experience should be. 

In addition, based on the vehicle type / value, the rate at which your vehicle begins to incur symptoms that require repair should vary. Off-roading vehicles are meant to be durable, economy vehicles are meant to be a budget friendly option at the cost of durability. You catchin my drift?

• Thumbs 1

9 hours ago, Natasha Valentine said:

I can't look at this as a negative against the idea, honestly. If you're rich enough to have several vehicles and you use them enough that they require maintenance often, then well, that's good. It's a money sink and a good way to re-distribute cash. If you want the convenience of owning and using several vehicles, then you should have to suffer the side-effects of such a thing. But then again the more I think about it the more RP opportunities pop up: if you're truly too busy to go get your own car fixed... why not hire an assistant to do it (I mention this to you specifically because if I remember correctly, you mostly roleplayed characters who would, realistically, be able to have such luxuries)? In fact, if you're rich and influential enough, why the hell not have your own driver - who would be taking care of such minutiae of every day life while you got on with your own roleplay? Spread your wealth - and ease your burden, more roleplay for you, the mechanic, and whoever you want to hire, and as a bonus, money trickles down from the more fortunate to the less in a natural way.

This IS a good point. We'd have to do something which I am very much not fond of in multiplayer games - trusting that supply and demand even out.  This very rarely works (barely works in real life anyway) because well, it's a game and not real life. People get bored, people troll, people intentionally spite one another even if they could make more working together. It's a complicated issue and in my mind the one pure negative this idea may bring. However this could maybe be alleviated by:

Minimum service should always be guaranteed by the server. Pay-N-Spray should remain as a "bare minimum" mechanic - something that allows you to fix all visual damage (I'm not fond of the idea of every second car looking like a junker because no mechanics have logged on recently)  and keep your car rolling, albeit at minimum condition, and soon requiring another visit if you drive recklessly. At the end of the day it's a game, and we have to have concessions or soon enough everyone will be riding bycicles instead (should these be influenced by the same mechanics, by the way?)

In my opinion this is one of the positives. It gives taxi drivers, personal drivers and bus drivers more reason to exist and facilitates roleplay between possibly hundreds of people. Plus, you can always have a friend take you.

On the topic of how often maintenance should be required, I do believe it should be common enough to warrant thought, but not common enough that it'd get annoying (revolutionary thought, I know). Make it take months and nobody is going to bother roleplaying a mechanic so they can do an oil change once a day, if they're lucky, for someone who will probably drive in and GTFO ASAP. I wonder if it would be possible to tie a vehicle's state to kilometers or time driven something like 15 hours driven - or something like 3000 kilometers? From what I can find online, GTA V's map is around 8km by 10km, which should hold up for around 300 turns around the map? It'd certainly take some fine tuning and I'd expect it to take a couple of months or more to reach a state where it satisfies most players in how long it takes for a vehicle to deteriorate but I definitely think it would be worth the effort. God knows LSRP needed money sinks and trickle-down mechanics (never thought I'd say that, lol).

If all else fails, encouraging mechanic roleplay as a tip for new players could help keep mechanic shops populated - and set players up for success in finding avenues of RP. Sorry for the ridiculously long-winded post, but things like these deserve a lot of thought because one mechanic can easily influence a hundred others and server balance is a precarious thing, that must be kept from the start, or it will never be there at all.

• Strong 1

This may work if the script doesn't utilise mechanic components in the way it does on samp and allows for more fluidity when repairing vehicles. I also think the insurance system should be abolished, it enabled players to completely disregard repairing their vehicles and allowing them to be fixed automatically.

• Strong 1

1 hour ago, Bluman said:

This may work if the script doesn't utilise mechanic components in the way it does on samp and allows for more fluidity when repairing vehicles. I also think the insurance system should be abolished, it enabled players to completely disregard repairing their vehicles and allowing them to be fixed automatically.

You right bro, I a'int with all that "materials required" bullshit. It should be a quick and dirty script that puts on a 60 second timer and fixes it upon completion. In that time the mechanic can adequately roleplay the maintenance as they so desire to, whether thats RP'ing an oil change or rotating the tires. 

I am not familiar with the insurance system. 

On 12/11/2021 at 2:58 PM, IdleStacks said:

In fact, if you're rich and influential enough, why the hell not have your own driver - who would be taking care of such minutiae of every day life while you got on with your own roleplay? Spread your wealth - and ease your burden, more roleplay for you, the mechanic, and whoever you want to hire, and as a bonus, money trickles down from the more fortunate to the less in a natural way.

Couldn't have said it any better.

The amount of freedom and roleplay that could happen on LSRPV is beyond us. Hell, even witnessing people stream GTA RP servers (not the best but) with all of the creativity and roleplay they have feature-wise is amazing. I'd love to see that freedom of roleplay be brought to GTA V's atmosphere. As said previously by many, drivers would be more cautious instead of driving like complete assholes and we need more of calm, collected, cautious drivers in a game. Though it may be a chore, I truly feel that this is something to offer for all sorts of players.

Definitely would encourage this and also would like to hear thoughts from Development team on such task to get this in, surely not by launch but some time in the future as it could be a handful to get scripted in seeing as there is a lot to get a hold of with RageMP/GTA V's scripts or even a script from scratch.

+1

• Strong 1

3 hours ago, Kuy said:

Couldn't have said it any better.

The amount of freedom and roleplay that could happen on LSRPV is beyond us. Hell, even witnessing people stream GTA RP servers (not the best but) with all of the creativity and roleplay they have feature-wise is amazing. I'd love to see that freedom of roleplay be brought to GTA V's atmosphere. As said previously by many, drivers would be more cautious instead of driving like complete assholes and we need more of calm, collected, cautious drivers in a game. Though it may be a chore, I truly feel that this is something to offer for all sorts of players.

Definitely would encourage this and also would like to hear thoughts from Development team on such task to get this in, surely not by launch but some time in the future as it could be a handful to get scripted in seeing as there is a lot to get a hold of with RageMP/GTA V's scripts or even a script from scratch.

+1

appreciate the support homie. 

considering the launch  was extended 2 months and change that should give them some wiggle room if the the feasibility of this idea is there and they are willing to implement. You right tho, I wanna know what the dev team has to say about this concept.